San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Bring a Friend

I'm a Club Quake Member. Can I help...even from way out here in the Northland?

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  4. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) pregame thread

Oh, yeah...and it gets better. Troy is evidently "doubtful" for Saturday after taking a knock to his thigh in the KC game. Patchwork central defending...Goos and Waibel with Roner and Duni wide?

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineup roulette

Has SJ this year, ever had two games in a row where it has had the same lineup? I think there might have been, but I'm not sure.

6. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First 6 games in a row.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will not be an easy game by any stretch. Dunseth has solidified their back line, and Nhleko, Johnson and Curtis are playing well up front for the Burn. They have LOTS of speed, something a bit lacking for the Quakes in their backline.

The Quakes will need to score a couple to pull it out.

Prediction: an exciting 2-2 draw (a guess based on the inverse principle; hoping for a 3-2 victory).

8. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

I think Dallas used the main tank, the reserve tank and everything else to gain the win over Chicago. Two wins in a row that big? Nope.

I'm thinking 2-1, Quakes...maybe even 3-1, depending upon our finishing. Our problem at home hasn't been defending, it's been no offensive output. That appears to be changing. While I don't expect another hat trick, I do expect to see our guys bend the net at least twice.

9. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I think Dallas has been playing pretty well for the last month or two but getting lousy breaks with needless red cards and dubious PKs. I expect them to put up a real fight so we better not just show up expecting a 3 point gift.

The timing of Dayak's recovery couldn't have been better as it allows us to absorb the injury to Robinson. Then this stupid knee thing shows up. Ah well, better now than the playoffs.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read on the Quakes' site that Landon is staying after practice and working on his shooting. Nice to hear. Maybe that explains his 100 percent strike rate last weekend. Hoping for a duplication of the feat this week. I'd say the guys are not in danger of taking the Burn lightly.

11. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Earthquakes notebook:

"Yallop even hinted at giving veteran goalkeeper Pat Onstad, who has put together an incredible season that has him leading MLS in almost every statistical category a game off in favor of Jon Conway, who has been outstanding in practice recently."

I understand the importance of keeping everyone fresh, but this kind of scares me. :(

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Fish!!! I'd be more confident if Franky would give Josh the start if he feels the need to rest Pat!

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Oh my God no! "Wrong Way" Conway in Goal would be a disaster. He gave up six goals in TWO games, dammit! Frank better pull his head out of his butt in time to save this match. Huge mistake Frank, Conway SUCKS! :mad:

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is what it takes to convince Frank not to keep Conway instead of Saunders at the end the season, so be it.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are attendance expectations for the game?

11,000 +?

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this game shows up on my Shootout package! I'm gonna cross my fingers and hold my breath all day in hopes that it actually comes on!

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I'll start breathing again. Just checked the listings and the game has been removed. :( Unbelievable. Maybe I'll just drive up to Dallas and see if someone will let me watch their TV.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Agreed. Especially after reading the body count in today's paper...no Dayak, no Ramiro, no Eddie (as aforementioned). WTF? Let's hope this winds up being just a bunch of hot air. This isn't the way to win the Suppporter's Shield, even though the players allegedly don't care as much about home field advantage as we fans do. Use Conway for Chivas, when I'll be out of state and don't have to watch. ;)

Giants fans are similarly distressed because Felipe Alou has used a "B team" in several games since they clinched the NL West a couple weeks ago, and the B team has lost the last three of their games, and it could/will cost the G's first place overall in the NL and home field advantage through the playoffs. I know Quinnie would've been aware of the Giants, but I wonder if FY has noticed what happened this year...
    Doubt it. In the Bay Area, you've got Giants/Dodgers (game at 1, broadcast at 7) and USC/Cal today, and Sharks first home exhibition vs. the Anaheim Nightly Sucks at 7:30 at The HP Tank. Whenever there are this many sporting choices, our favorite soccer team seems resigned to attracting 6-7k and then making excuses. Hopefully, LD's hat trick got enough run that it might put some extra butts in seats.

Another reason not to sit Onstad tonight. We're desperate for attendance, already missing some regulars, and you want to put the best possible product out for the people who DO choose soccer over the other options.
    Jesus H. Christ, your service out there sucks. Mind if I ask what service you have (cable or dish)? What did they replace it with? FWiW, tonight's game was hard to find on the Comcast digital cable online menu for Bay Area users, but it is on out here (channel 424 at 7). Not that anyone will notice, because everyone local will be out at Spartan, right?

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Just to clarify Giants/Dodgers...it's a day/night double-header (making up a rain-out from April IIRC).

And all the other "choices" just serve to prove my contention that MLS should start their season in late-March and finish with MLS Cup Labor Day Weekend. No more "too many choices" excuses".

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, it's Time Warner cable. I'm still waiting to hear from the supervisor after last week's debacle. What are the odds he'll call me? They've pre-empted all the shootout channels for college football. Yesterday shootout was listed; today it's all college. I'm going to turn it on just in case. Plus, the only radio broadcast is in Spanish!! so it looks like a miserable night of matchtracker. But go Quakes!!

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) pregame thread

If you mean "Labor Day" as a general timeframe (ie, late summer), I agree. If you mean Labor Day weekend specifically, I disagree. Not only could a three day weekend hurt attendance at such an important match, it could really hammer MLS' already microscopic TV ratings.
    Wow. How suck. I hope you get a full refund for MLS Shootout this season. Paying for access to scheduled games that you later cannot access is complete BS. That's called bait-and-switch.

23. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View

Well this kind of fits here. I have a message from Comcast, I company I already hold in the same regard as Enron, that they are moving Fox Sports World from the expanded tier to the premium tier. Is this just in MV or is this happening elsewhere as well?

As to the game, I expect to see Corrales in the central defense before the night is over. If Pat doesn't start the Quakes won't win. I'd give him the night off against Chivas.

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

It's happening all over. I have to pay an additional $4.95 a month to upgrade to the premier digital tier (there's a lot more channels besides Fox Sports World that also make that $4.95 well spent for me...).

At least they're not dropping the channel entirely as was rumoured when they took over. But when you call to make the upgrade, make certain they know that Fox Sports World is a major reason you're upgrading.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) pregame thread

Right. They should credit you for your not getting what you paid for. Even AT&T did that for me. Give 'em a call and start screaming.