San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27/03) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by quakesfan10, Sep 28, 2003.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

Anyone got a copy of this game they could copy for me??? I went out of town and set my VCR wrong, so I didnt get to see it. I'm so mad right now. Please, if anyone can make me a copy, I'll glady pay for all costs and would really appreciate it. PM me if you can make a copy. Thanks:) It sounds like it was an awesome game from all the accounts I've read of it.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It would be interesting (although I seriously doubt it'll happen) to get a hat trick from a different Earthquakes player every week! :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Waitaminnit, I thought fans would rather see Brian Ching/target man stuff. You know, not running up the score....

4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    The interesting thing I like about this record quick goal is that it was NOT scored by the team taking the kick-off! 11 seconds is about as quick as you can score a goal - period. But to score one in 11 seconds when the other team took the kick-off - unbelievable. I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again.

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Is it just me, or is it really wierd that me of all people caught a Club Quake/CASBAH scarf in the South End. Anybody wanna buy?

6. bluelightningdad

bluelightningdad New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    SJ Quake Area
    This fan's bailing on football for futbol...

I'm a new Quakes fan after attending the blowout against the Burn on Sep27. What a game!!! Then, after watching the US women in the World cup today and then a little NFL football, the light came on. Watching soccer games is way more exciting than NFL football.

So I'm converting and gonna tell all my friends to do the same. Watching the pros play soccer is a natural after watching my kids play it for all these years. This is an absolute "uh duh" moment for me. It's better late than never.

7. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, now go to the phone - call the Quakes front office - order tickets for the rest of the season and bring these friends you mention.

Sing, cheer, and show all the fervor of the newly converted.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bless you, my son. And order season tickets for next year, preferably for the entire family. :)

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

I was thinking the same thing. What's gonna happen next year with DeRo, Donovan and Ching? I do prefer the run-and-gun style of play. It suits the Quakes so well. And we can still score on crosses into the box even with the little guys. It's funny, Donovan says he really enjoyed playing with Ching, Ching would take all the abuse, etc., but yet Donovan still got hammered. He's not getting hammered now and I think it's because the other teams see DeRo as more of a threat than Ching so they've really got to focus on both. And it's hard for their defenses to focus on both DeRo and Donovan because they're so fast (which Ching was not) and they have constant movement. The defenses are really having a hard time handling them.

10. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I should have bought a lotto ticket for Saturday night! Great game, fun to watch, gave the newbie I brought a reason to come back. Can't break it down much more than that, I enjoyed the Club Quake tailgate a little to much. :D

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

Agreed. Who knows who we'll get rid of for next season? But I like to think Frank offloaded Graziani thinking Landon and DeRo were his starters, that Ching would give them a strong challenge from the bench and a new dimension, another tool in the box. I like to think that...

Ching performed admirably, but I was alarmed by the team's - and the fans' - apparent affection for that target man game. Will chalk it up to an affection for results.

...bluelightningdad - welcome aboard. It ain't all blow-outs, that's for sure. But it's an eminently fascinating sport, and I can't think of athletes more deserving of attention and support than the players in MLS.

12. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Re: Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

Saturday was one of the few times lately our opponents haven't been packing the defense. The 11s goal took care of that, but if they had been packed in we still could have used Ching, even with two other hot forwards.

13. JaguarCRO

JaguarCRO New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Sunnyvale,CA

yanks02. Your box is full. Drop me a line if you still need a tape.

Randy Overbeck
    ClubQuake Secretary

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

I see what you mean, but does that explain how SJ played earlier in the season?

We often used Ching when we were packed in ourselves.

15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just got through watching the first half again, and Brian Mullan's cross to Donovan was absolutely beautiful. Placed it perfectly out of the reach of the keeper and right on Donovan's head. In fact, that entire play, from start to finish, was beautiful.

16. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento

THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! I come home from the best attacking soccer this side of Figo and Zidane...okay, how about the sequence that Appiah, to Di Vaio, to Nedved ran for Juve's second goal vs Lecce on Sat morning....anyway....AND there was no broadcast on my MLS PPV package despite the fact that the guide said it would be on!!! Now I've had a couple games blacked out even with the MLS package BUT NEVER one that was LISTED on my Dishnetwork satellite!!! I want this game! So, the question is DID IT GET BROADCAST ANYWHERE? AND CAN I BUY THE TAPE!!!!? I also have a DVD recorder so the good stuff is saveable forever! If anyone in the 'Quakes organization knows how I can get a copy please let me know!!! That was GREAT stuff- IN THE MIDFIELD TOO! Not just between no. 10 and no. 14!!!! Mulrooney, Mullan, Corrales, Eklund were incredible with their touch- I was stunned even before the 3rd goal...WE WERE CLICKIN! And how about 2 assists from the defense!! (Roner and Dunivant) on throw-ins no less!!! GO QUAKES!

17. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento

On Brian Ching: Watched him play his breakout season for Seattle last year and he scored as many goals (16 total) on the fly as he did with his back to the goal. He's not De Ro fast but Seattle was a one touch happy attacking club that set a record for goals in the USL (a RUBBER FIELD HELPED). That being said he has become that typical target man....wonderful to watch when he's one on one....but frustrating when he's just getting pushed around in a double team and nothing seems to come of it.... He has nice feet and will be superb off the bench if De Ro and Donovan stay healthy. If the midfield we already have didn't work so wonderfully at controlling the tempo of a game I'd like to see Donovan in that 3/4 role feeding Ching AND De Ro... BUT why would ANYONE move Donovan away from his current forward role....so strike that thought- I just know he can do it...Its cool to think that we actually have that dilemma! If Faria and Walker develop we are even more of that blazing attcking interplay....Hey, Graziani has 19 gols and leads Ecuador in scoring.....Someone had to decide to pull ZiZu back so who knows where LD ends up! GOD WILLING, Not Bayer Leverkusen any time soon!

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Frank's going to break with traditon and play either a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 with Donovan, Pwamme and Ching up front. That'll scare the bejeezus out of other teams. ;)

19. bluelightningdad

bluelightningdad New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    SJ Quake Area

Follow-up note:

I just made my 2nd post on this board, and for giggles looked back at my previous post above. And I should say thanks for your reply to that one last year, because I did exactly what you suggested - bought 2004 season tix for the whole family (4 peeps). Then got even more hooked on the Quakes, only to get ensnared by this relocation mess.

I feel like buying them myself and making a fortune. This is an opportunity, and I think there are many investor folks asleep at the wheel. I'd much rather own a nice share of the SJ Quakes than overpriced tech. stock shares anyday!

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good for you! I feel the same way. Too bad I don't have the cash (or the credit). :(

21. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you got the millions, do it!! I would, 'cept I'm practically broke.