San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27/03) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by quakesfan10, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Don't feel too bad - your team will get better next season now that they have Greg Elliott in the front-office... he was one of the people who helped turn the Earthquakes around at the beginning of this century.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Also, you'll be getting a brand-spankin' new soccer-specific stadium in about 1 1/2 years, which is probably more than San Jose will get. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Seems ages ago, and the way you said that doesn't help. :)

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Sounds good... I believe that it was at about this time of the season that the Earthquakes really started hitting form in 2001, and also when they let the foot off the gas in 2002. Hopefully we'll see the former more than the latter.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp As long as the Quakes stay focused (especially since the opposition will be tougher from here on out), they'll most likely do just fine. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :D

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    A total victory all around made that much sweeter as the galaxatives piss one away to Kansas City:D
    The second goal on Onstad did look to be a soft one from where we were sitting but our offense made that a mute point. DeRo looks to back in form, perhaps better, as he's now looking around for players to pass to and not trying to dribble through 3 or 4 defenders on his way to the goal. Second week in a row we have looked sharp on the pitch. The only complaint I have is that the Murky news burried the Quakes victory on page 16 of todays paper and put some article about the Cubs on the front page. The Cubs? Give me a forking break:mad:

6. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I know exactly how you feel. I was going for the Astros too.

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

Spartan Stadium is on fire 14 goals in 28 hours. The seven last night and seven on Friday when SJSU scorched Sac St. 6-1.

Unfortunately the Spartans are now being exiled to the porta-potty parking-lot across the street. Somone please tell me this isn't becuase of the Spartan Football team wanting a pretty logo.

8. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sitting here about to watch some boring NFL games until real futball comes on later this afternoon and I was thinking how the Quakes have redefined the term "West Coast Offense"! :) What a team!

9. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Did anyone else wonder whyat Ali Curtis was staring at all night when he looked into the stands? maybe he figured since it was san jose we should have that many fans foir a home match@-@

10. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Brief note: The second goal Onstad let in was very similiar to one Meola let in against LA. In both cases it looked as though a defender blocked the goalkeeper's view, preventing him from seeing the ball and making him anticipate prematurely. In Onstad's case, that player was Chris Roner.

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Remember, these things come in streaks.

Think back to the 2001 playoffs...we'd never scored a golden goal winner until Troy headed past Little Nicky in Miami to put us in MLS Cup 2001...then DeRo wins us the Cup with a 2nd golden goal in as many weeks.

Now, same thing with hat tricks...gee, we could have one every week!

12. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I stayed late to watch the game. 5 goals in 2 games for LD. He's been tearing it up lately. Esp last nite, he was just playing around the burn left and right. He's really too good for MLS. I know alot of SJ ppl dun want him to go, but what do he have to prove here?

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

It wasn't me! It wasn't me! That was our "on-field host" Danny Miller. (I know...on this sound system everyone sounds alike). I wasn't so worried about jinxing Pat...I was gulping over the script which reads "on the first home match of every month...", which I though sounded silly in late September. WE NEED MORE THAN 2 HOME FIXTURES A MONTH! There, I feel better now.
    Props to Jed Mettee for getting me the 411...but Dwayne's points record was only a club record...not MLS record.

BTW, the previous fastest goal from the start of play was :22 scored by former Earthquake Giovanni Savarese (3/28/99 vs. Miami).

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Ridiculous as this sounds, he still needs to improve his finishing. He should have had a hat trick himself last night, missing a sitter from the top of the 6 sometime in those first 20 minutes.

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

No, it has nothing to do with Spartan Football. It has everything to do with the cost of renting Spartan Stadium from Spartan Shops, Inc. It's just a cost cutting move for Spartan Athletics. But, looking forward, if all these AEG rumours come to fruition, I'll bet AEG will be building a smaller soccer venue for SJSU on the South Campus complex.

By the way...both the SJSU men and women will be playing at Spartan following the Quakes/Metros match next Sunday.

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Do I have to tell you people this every week? This is what MLS gets for insisting on playing deep into September/October/November. Our game coverage will be buried deep into page 14/15/16/17.

I was heartened by the 12K attendance...I wonder if all the other clubs are still seeing attendance upticks when fighting against stretch-drive baseball and college pointy-ball?

17. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I had been planning to go to the Quakes game last night, but I had been held up in Berkeley...

I was watching USC kiss its college football national title hopes goodbye. :eek:

So instead I'll see you all next week... wearing red & black. :D

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Dallas (Saturday, 9/27) postgame thread [R]

I swear that Donovan could score 99 goals on 100 shots, and somebody would come on BS and complain about the 1 he missed.

Hes near perfect already, lets just be happy for that.

19. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that worried me last night was Agoos getting pulled out of the game with a few minutes to go. We played a man down since we had already made 3 subs.

Dees anyone know how bad his injury is? It looked like he was having problem with his calf.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The reason MLS extended the season is that they can sell more tickets to the youth leagues after they start back up in the fall. They saw this last year with great attendance everywhere for the September games and this year they decided to extend it to October. We have seen the effect in SJ in all the games since Fremont FC Day. The busy sports calendar affects media coverage but is not a detriment to attendance.

21. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001

And before that, Micael(sp) Espinosa and __________ shared the record at :35.

22. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose

Awesome game, I enjoyed every minute of it. The referee for once did a great job, other than the call for a cornerkick which should've been a goalkick for us. I'm not familiar with this particular ref, but he let us just play.
    Maybe we should start the game attacking the North goal in the first half. All the other times we start attacking the South end first. By the way, who determines that to begin with?
    If we keep the form we have now, we should win the MLS cup. I suspect and hope that Frank takes it easy against Chivas, playing our second team to keep the rest of the guys healthy.
    Go Quakes!!

23. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA

What second team??? :(

24. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose

Our subs.

25. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    What they said...

Yeah, great game. I got a couple families from my son's team to come out, one of which had never been to an Earthquakes game before. I think they will be coming back :)

More than Onstead letting in a soft goal I was worried about the amount of confusion in our back line with Waibel having to play out of position. Keep you fingers crossed our remaining fullbacks stay healthy through the playoffs!