San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread [r]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 31, 2002.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Re: San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread

Only out in some redneck state where HS football is deemed "a must see event"... ;)

I don't even think De La Salle of Concord, CA (#1 HS football team in America) could pull that crowd.

Sad part is we're "celebrating" a near 15K crowd, but progress is progress...

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    What has happened to the defense!???

The last four games we've allowed 12 goals. If we give up 3 goals per game, does anyone fancy our chances against LA or any team in the playoffs?

Defense wins championships. Where's ours??????

3. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread

I agree Jeff...something needs to be sorted out....

Unfortunatly I had to listen to the game on the the crew webcast ( I thought they did an awesome job...reminded me of being a kid back home and listening to the BBC on a Sat afternoon)..but the last 20 mins sounded all Crew, with the defense ripped to shreds...Was it like that in reality?

Also, I havn't read the thread on the ref...but...it hasn't been mentioned here...but it sounded like Mike Clark should have been sent of at the end of the first half for being the "last defender". Even the Crew commentators said he should have been off. (Refs seen to be afraid to send people pff in regards to Donovan..look at Prideuax in our home game against DC) If that had been the case , we'd have ended up winning quite easily I would suspect, as Andrulis wouldn't have been able to put opn all those attacking players...but..at least it created a good game...(wonded when my company will transfer me back to CA :()

-Richard

4. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    WOOHOO!!

Clark wasn't sent off because special rules apply when San Jose players are fouled. Only explanation. Also, in the second half, Donovan receives a pass in the penalty area and a Columbus player (forget who) body checks him, no attempt to play the ball at all. Donovan looses the ball , no call.

This game was not as close as the score indicates. We were all over Columbus the first half, and after being pinned back for a 30 minute or so stretch we had regained control of the match by the end of regulation and in overtime. Even though the end was fluke, we were putting on the pressure and I felt like it was a matter of time before we won.

The Cunningham goal was a screw up. First Robinson (I think) went to intercept the ball and left us with no cover and then Cannon misjudges the bounce and comes out but too late to get the ball. The second Buddle goal was a complete defensive breakdown. But most of the time the defense was very solid, 85 minutes of good defense. We just have to keep a stable lineup and get in sync enough to put together 90 minutes.

5. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thanks Brad, puts my mind at rest...the problem with the radio is that the most benign chance sounds close...

I think, as you said, is being able to keep a stable line-up and we should be able to go 90 mins withhout any screw-ups..and perhaps we've got those out our system ready for the play-offs...

-Richard

6. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Re: WOOHOO!!

I agree about the no-calls on fouls to Landon. I thought he was fouled twice in the box by the last man, but after the clear dive last week where he got the yellow card, he's not going to get much love from the refs. It's irritating, but hopefully it will teach Landon not to dive.

On the other hand, I thought the Quakes' defense was terrible last night. I was surprised at how open the Crew were consistently and couldn't believe how many quality crosses the left mid (Freddie ?)got off in the second half. I wasn't really surprised to see the Crew draw level- the game clearly had swung their way in the second half and the Quakes were lucky to win. If the ref had given out a red card earlier, however...

We really miss Agoos in the middle. Hope he's healthy for the playoffs.

7. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Re: Re: WOOHOO!!

I hope he's healthy for the L.A. series...

8. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Re: WOOHOO!!

The team gave up three goals. It doesn't matter if they came in 5 minutes or in 90, three goals is three goals. A team that wants to win a championship needs to avoid "complete defensive breakdowns" ... it might only take one such breakdown to lose a championship.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Re: Re: WOOHOO!!

Our right side is playing terrible. Ibsen/Conrad are giving up way to many quality crosses. The left side seems more stable (Barrett mostly, Corrales scares me when he's back there). I have noticed that teams can come right up the middle on the ground against us. We seem to be pretty good on crosses from the corners, but attacks up the gut leave us grasping at air. Screw the offside trap, we don't have the speed to catch forwards from behind.

I think opposing coaches will work our right backs hard. That's where we are weakest......

10. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread

Yup.

We do get 30k for high school games here...

11. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

30 kids eh?!

12. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK

Dammit, this game wasnt on ESPN2 was it.
    Shockin'.
    I think Ive seen 75% of MetroScum games this season.......I know all about most of their players, urgh.

I need to get my 'time difference' thing sorted so I can listen to that radio thing. It was from a website wasnt it?

SNOOGENS

13. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Hey guys..

I think we missed the, "YOU CAME A LONG WAY, JUST TO LOSE!!" chant :D

I think I might make a banner that says "Welcome to Frankies Fort thank you for 3 points!"

14. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: When is a takel from behind by the last man, who doesn't touch the ball, in the penalty area not a red card?

Answer: When LD has the ball and Gus St. Silva is reffing!

Horrible non-call by the ref, the piece of shite should be removed for that one play alone, there was nothing questionable about it, a straight red and a PK, if you can't figure that out you shouldn't be doing under 10 games!

14K+ paid, but I saw something in my paper that listed 26,000 as the actual total of people in the seats, too bad it wasn't televised because the stadium looked great with the lower bowl completely filled. I got there late and there weren't two seats together anywhere in the shaker sections. Hopefully an exciting game like that will bring some more of the youth soccer crowd back for more.

Only one thing left to do right now:

BEAT LA!
    BEAT LA!
    BEAT LA!
    BEAT LA!

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Re: Re: WOOHOO!!

I agree that we were weak up the gut on Saturday. It was quite apparent that Troy was hurting from the middle of the first half, and by the start of the second half, Cunningham was assidiously working him almost exclusively. That was worrisome - some of us felt that Frank should have subbed him out and shifted Barrett or Conrad over to cover the middle. I've got to give credit to Troy for a lot of guts (he was obviously in pain) but take some points away for putting the team in serious jeopardy - he was definitely not up to covering a speedster like Cunningham. I think Troy would have to be dead before he'd ask for a sub, and Frank needs to understand that and act on it sooner next time.

Oh well, I suppose this is the last we'll see of 'the beast' this season, so I'm just glad he went out on a high note (just barely!)

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh - and 14-15k looked about right from my spot on the field. Remember - the entire south end is blocked off, and that decreases capacity by about 2-3k. The lower bowl alone (with the south end) holds about 20. At any rate, it was a great crowd, and I expect even more for the LA game!

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: WOOHOO!!

OH GOD!!!!!!!! Don't say that damn it!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it would be better for Cowboy to just get his surgery done and get better. He was hurting big time at the half for sure. I could see it in his face. And I can't believe he stayed in after he went down. Franky should have taken him out. I just keep thinking about the last time he played hurt. That didn't turn out so well. Poor Cowboy!
    :(

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Being from behind, or in the box isn't the operative thing here, the direct quote from Law XII:

"A player is sent off and shown the red card
    if he commits any of the following seven
    offences:
    ...(5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
    to an opponent moving towards the
    player’s goal by an offence punishable by
    a free kick or a penalty kick"

FYI - I happened to overhear that Gus' rationalization for not showing Clark the card here was that Donovan did not have an obvious goals-soring opportunity because he had pushed the ball too far in front of him. Pretty weak, but I believe that this will be reflected in the assessment.

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOOHOO!!

I'm thinking it IS better for Troy to not play anymore, because everytime he kicks a ball he runs the risk of tearing the tissue more. Remember, this is the same injury it took a 22 or 23 year old Wade Barrett an entire year to overcome! I don't want Troy injured so badly that it precludes a successful recovery from surgery and not only ends his career but potentially bothers him for the rest of his life. I'm no doctor, but it worries me to see Dayak out there toughing it out when he's in obvious pain. I want him to get this thing fixed while it's still fixable!

20. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I called 15k

Quakes were firing on all cylinders for about the first 30, i was proud to see the possession. Lagos was playing well. Ekelund was on fire. Dayak is a warrior! If Russell's touch was as above average as his speed we would have had another goal. We could possibly make it to the Cup just on home field.

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WOOHOO!!

OH GOD!!!!!!!!! A year!!!!!!! Ends is career!!!!! Don't say that!!!

I hear what you're saying bsman. Dr. Andre told is it is definitely a hernia and Cowboy will need surgery. I just want Cowboy better. :(

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CoCoTimes and SJM article by Dylan Hernandez said 14,972. It was a hummer.

23. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I think if Goose is close to being match fit, then Dayak should definitely sit for the year and just have surgery. With Goose and Robinson manning the middle, I think our defense can be just peachy.

24. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A few thoughts:

1) 14,792 was a good crowd, GREAT by San Jose standards. I was surprised at the size of the crowd when I got there. Wonder how bumped it was by all the youth teams and their parents. They saw an exciting game, hopefully it will bring them back.

2) Gus St. Silva is terrible. I have seen him several times and he is one of the worst in the MLS.

3) That should have been a red card for the take down. bsman quotes directly from Law XII: "denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity". In my mind, there was no question about it. St.Silva is so bad that maybe he doesn't recognize an obvious goal scoring opportunity when he sees one. Who took his exam for him anyway?
    Also should have been a PK on the earlier take down of Donovan in the box.

4) Columbus pretty much owned the second half. We were in the North end zone, and except for Graziani's goal and Russell's late run, all the action was quite far away (i.e. in the South end)
    San Jose was quite lucky to get this victory.

5) 10 goals in the last 3 games, 12 in the last 4. On top of this 4 of those 12 have been in the last 10 minutes + stoppage time. They have gone from being 1 or 2 in that interval to 8th place. The trend here is very disturbing. Jeff Adams is right. If SJ is going to go very far in the playoffs, they need to tighten their defense.

6) Columbus really exploited our lack of speed on the defense. They kept both McBride and Cunningham near the center and because of his height, Robinson was always on McBride. That left Dayak on Cunningham and with his injury he couldn't stay with him. Not even close. I know McBride is taller by about 2 inches, but he is slower and less mobile then Cunningham and Dayak is no slouch in the air. He should have been on McBride.

7) Buddle looks like the real deal. He is fast, strong and big. He was the player of the game.

8) Ekelund's goal was fantastic!! It should be a nominee for goal of the year.

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

I'd like to thank the representative of the Village People for leading the Casbah in "Y M C A".