San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread [r]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 31, 2002.

1. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread

Lord...trolls...

Anyhow, I will be wearing my lucky shirt, not watching the game here in FL, but I'll be cheering for the Quakes at my class's car wash!

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Let's start with standard sports cliches...

Both teams might be looking past this week's game because both have ENORMOUS showdowns in home-and-homes with the team challenging them for their respective division crowns. Big intangible.

Crew have been more settled of the two over the past month. They have McBride this time, which can't help the Quakes' cause. If SJ lets the Crew speed run like they did in previous meetings, the outcome is very likely to be like those we saw in Ohio.

Quakes will have the services of Agoos and Dayak back for the first time since before WC. Their leadership and positioning smarts, along with Barrett's steady speed/cover ability and, for my money, Robinson badgering Martino on the right side PLUS SuperJoe back in net and the Home field thing that just plain MATTERS...I see another slim Quakes' victory IF Graziani and Donovan are not hitting posts.

Starting XI:

Cannon

Robinson, Dayak, Agoos, Barrett

Corrales, Mulrooney, Ekelund, Lagos

Donovan, Graziani

We've lost in the past week so I can't imagine anyone is going to counter with the "Frank doesn't change the lineup" thing.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'll most likely be at the game, so it's pretty obvious that attendance will be bad. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL

I think this is the best starting XI we have. With both Dayak and Agoos available for play it would be inexcusable if they weren't on the field (especially with the performance of our defense over the past month or so). In order for us to win two things must happen: 1) Ekelund has to control the middle and provide quality service to the forwards, and 2) LD and Graziani have to gel. Go Quakes!!!!!!!!

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: San Jose - Columbus (Saturday, 9/7) thread

damnit....someone cancel the crew's flight out, its over.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    At the risk of starting something, how can a team that's beaten San Jose two of three this season, with San Jose's win coming in the 90th minute, not be "too much a threat?" Also, why would you use Crew's draw with New England (29 points) for "evidence" just after DC United (26 points, which I think is less than 29 points) knocked off San Jose?

Like I said, I'm not trying to start something but I just don't get it.

7. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I fully expected the loss to DC, but on the bright side I still think we will keep the undefeated-at-home streak going. It may well be a tie game though.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The Quakes have been sucking, and the Crew have given us problems all year (and the previous six years, except for the playoffs last year).

The only things in the Quakes favor are that they should be plenty pissed off after losing the last two games, and they have bounced back in similar situations, like when they whipped Dallas 4-0 after a disheartening loss in Columbus, and when they whipped Dallas 3-1 after a three-game winless streak (loss in KC, Open Cup loss to LA, draw with DC). Unfortunately, we're not playing Dallas this time.

But this is an absolute must-win for the Quakes, and if they underestimate Columbus or look past them to LA, they will not be winning the Supporters' Shield or MLS Cup this year.

9. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not necessarily. If, hypothetically, the Quakes were to lose to Columbus but then win the last two games against LA, then the only team that could beat us would be Dallas and they would have to beat the MetroStars, New England, and D.C. United all in a row to do it.

If we merely tie Columbus then beat LAx2, the best Dallas could do is tie us. My understanding is they would still be the #2 team based on our 3-1-0 record against them.

Obviously we'd prefer to not have our away game against LA be a "must win" game but the truth is, if LA can beat Chicago on Saturday Sept. 7th then it will be a "must win" game for us anyway.

10. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry to be Goodsportian ;) by quoting myself but I just checked the game times... looks like Spartacus will be announcing the good/bad news of this game result during our halftime with Columbus!

GO CHICAGO FIRE! :)

11. CloutierGirl

CloutierGirl New Member

May 23, 2001
    Bay Area
    Is this game going to be on TV??

12. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. You need to get to the stadium and help with attendance!

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I always want to record it anyway. :)

14. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not necessarily about the QUAKES vs CREW this weekend, but...

Today when I called to purchase group tickets for this weekend's game, the female who answered the phone greeted me with "Good afternoon, San Jose Sharks!" After I said, "Whoa! you mean Earthquakes?" she said yeah, obviously embarrassed.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!?!

Good thing for her it was just me and not some MLS exec.

15. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

When I called, I got this: "Good Afternoon, you've reached 976-luv-stud, how can I help you?".....Maynard shouldn't moonlight on company time. :(

16. Solskjaer

Solskjaer New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Eau Claire, WI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be honest about Columbus...despite their position in the league, they are not playing the best football they could be.

17. CloutierGirl

CloutierGirl New Member

May 23, 2001
    Bay Area
    Sorry, but I never get a chance to "help attendence" because I volunteer for the Quakes. Sometimes the games play on those package channels that I don't have at my house and nice people like Wayne (Albany) record it for me when I can't go to the game.

18. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Obviously that means its almost hockey time!!!

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/06.22.00/gifs/sharks-0025.jpg
    http://www.thenorthwest.com/image_nhl/NW10190.gif

19. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

#$&%#$@%#@* YELLOW CARD!!

[​IMG]http://www.thenorthwest.com/image_nhl/NW10190.gif[/img]

20. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

haha

Neck puncher, can you punch a certain Quake fan for me?

21. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Why can't you.....too busy tending to the cattle.....so to speak? :D

22. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

G: Cannon
    D: Agoos
    D: Dayak
    D: Robinson
    D: Barrett
    M: Corrales
    M: Mulrooney
    M: Lagos
    M: Donovan
    F: Graziani
    F: DeRosario

Usually when the Crew and the Quakes play the matches have been very competitive. The Crew are coming off a scoreless draw, and a draw between DC United and New England will secure a spot in the MLS Cup Tournament.

The last time the Quakes were able to come back from a 2-0 deficit and win 3-2. Right now, the Quakes are coming out from a loss against DC and are eager to get another win at home. With their key players at the helm (McBride and Cunningham up front, and Maisonneuve in the middle and Torres patrolling the backline) they always play the Quakes tough.

With post season slots at stake, expect both teams to come out fighting and expect another close game.

23. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I take it that Ronnie must be out on caution points or injured because nobody in there right mind would sit Ekelund. :( The Great Dane ROCKS!!!

24. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    FYI...I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but our playoff watch continues tonight...the Dallas v. NY/NJ match is on ESPN2 at 5 PM. I didn't know that until I read the TV schedule in the Sports section of today's Merc. Picture-in-picture time (Niners opener at 5:30 on ESPN...)!!!!!

25. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas
    It's been mentioned on this thread that you need people to help attendance. Well, I was planning on doing that by going to watch The Crew get a victory this weekend already, but I'd like to know what the best way to get tix is, other than ticketmaster.
    I"m already on a tight budget as it is, so paying $11 in fees for two tickets isn't my idea of using $ wisely (neither is $8 parking, but oh well).
    So, those of you who have gone before...can't buy tix at the stadium from the box office, right? So...are there usually scalpers outside getting rid of tix, a la LA Galaxy games?
    Or, if you can't go to the game and want to get rid of your tix, let me know.