San Diego

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by kasai, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Nacional get promoted with that stadium they play in?

- Paul

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have no idea, on the promotion system of the Mexican league. It'd be best to ask that question in the Mexico forums.

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I think they can get promoted because they almost got promoted a couple of years back. Anyway, I bet you more Tijuanans have been to games at the Q than at their stadium in TJ.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's sad, LoL. How can a team get prometed like that anyway? I have a friend in England who went to a game that if his home team won they would get promoted to 1st Division or something like that. I don't understand!

5. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

There's plans to build a 30,000 seat stadium in Tijuana. It's going to take 14-16 months to build and should be finished by the year 2004. If Nacional Tijuana gets promoted to the first division then they will use the stadium, but if the do not then the group that's going to build the stadium, Soccer BC, will buy a team and move them to Tijuana. It also looks like it's going to be a combonation soccer/baseball stadium. Who knows, maybe the Padres will play a few games there as well.

I don't know if this is good or bad news for San Diego. It's probably bad news for getting an MLS team. But can you imagine the rivalry that could happen if they did a friendly each year with a San Diego MLS team and the Tijuana team.

Anyway, even if we don't get a MLS team we can always go across the border and watch first division soccer.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17487

6. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Cool thanks for the TJ news, I didn't know that. TJ definitely could use a stadium, but TJ can use a lot of other things. It is a city without a plan.

7. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Just a note, but if the Galaxy go to a third game against Colorado, the Rose Bowl will be unavailable for them. Wouldn’t it be nice if they decided to play in SD? I know it will never happen and I don’t even know if the Q will be available, but it would be nice to see pro soccer in town again.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the TJ stadium sounds like just another death knell to any future MLS team in san diego.

galaxy to the north. tj first division to the south. san diego? travel north or south young man, if you wish to see first division soccer, but don't expect to see it at home.

i'm happy for tj. i'm bummed for san diego.

just another example of our civic leaders of americaa's finest city not having a clue and getting ahead of the curve.

9. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, that's funny. We should all write a letter to them. Or bitch to Mayor Dick Murphy. He seems pretty gullable. Just kidding, don't ask...

10. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were ever to get a team, I would want it to be called San Diego United for some reason. I like teams with that name! Anyone else wanna share dreams with me? (okay that came out wrong heh)

11. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    That way MLS can have two United teams. I think the TJ stadium is far from being a sure thing. I actually passed through town over the weekend and to be honest don't see how or where a stadium like that can go. Also, with the region in an economical slump, it would be difficult to find the financing to get this stadium built.

If it does come to fruition, I wouldn't mind attending a game or two just for fun. Maybe they will put an American player on their team so they can draw some fans from SD. :D

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool! Hmm...that's all I have to say.

13. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go to the previous page and look at the pic. It used to be a pic of the stadium, but now it's some goofy old guy. Oh well, I guess the site that the pic was taken from changed the file.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, i notice that too. maybe he's the owner or financier or something.

btw, i don't care if they call them the san diego flippers, as long as we had a team.

and i hate rooting for la teams (which is why i don't root for the galaxy, even though i like the rose bowl and in many ways like many of their players like cobi). so wehn i go to galaxy teams, i usually root for the opposition. stupid i know but i'm a san diegan through and through. (all true san diegans hate all l.a. teams.)

15. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    LOL, I guess the stadium in TJ was eaten by the old fat dude.

I figure all the politicians are now busy campaigning, but after the November elections we will have a much better idea of who will be in charge and who will not. Problem with SD is we have Republicans in charge of all of our publiclly held offices. None of these guys are going to want to increase taxes to get a stadium built. The only way to do it will be through bonds and that will be difficult considering the state of the economy.

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha! It's true though. Why is that anyway??

17. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    We should work with the San Diego Sport Commission to get a friendly game for the National team in the off months of MLS. A good crowd could give San Diego some props from MLS that we need. The last national team game in SD that did not include Mexico was I believe against Paraguay. I watched that game at the Q. We probably had 20k there that day.

18. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Point Loma. The city has been looking for building proposals for the now closed Naval Training Center for years. It may be right in the flight path for the Airport but who cares. There certainly not going to build houses so close to the runway. Just a thought.

TS.

19. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like you're line of thinking, but unfortunately it's probably not possible. Who cares? How about the FAA. There was a similar situation in Phoenix (well Tempe actually). The Arizona Cardinals were going to build their new fancy indoor with retractable roof stadium a 1/2 mile(??) from the airport and the FAA axed the idea. Although the situation might be a little different because the stadium site was actually in line with the runway. After Sept. 11, it'd be even more difficult to build something like this around an airport.

Other than that issue, it would be a pretty good location.

20. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Actually they are building houses as part of a large community on that site. Problem with that land is the value is very high. Anything near the center of town right now is ridiculously expensive. Good thought and good location though. It would be sweet to build a SSS / new sports arena in that area.

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    especially since from my hillside location i could look down on it eveyr day from my balcony, and even hear the crowd noise on game days when i couldn't be there. :eek:

not a bad idea. a combination SSS / new sports arena. just a huge roll of the dice. would never happen but would be beautiful!

btw, did anyone see that article this morning which says a new possible location for a new san diego football stadium is some downtown location? i haven't read the article yet, just saw the headline.

22. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here's the article:

Idea floated to put new stadium for Chargers downtown

It sounds like it's in the very preliminary stages of an idea. The article says that the new Chargers stadium could be built next to the Padres stadium. Or if that falls through, a new indoor arena for Hockey or Basketball could be built.

The booming real estate market downtown could be the biggest obstacle to a downtown football stadium, said San Diego City Councilman Byron Wear, whose district includes downtown.

Before the Padres ballpark was approved in 1998, land in the East Village sold for about $20 a square foot. Now it goes for more than $100, Wear said.

23. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AHHHH! I would be so p*ssed if the stupid Chargers get a new stadium there. They do NOT need one. They should build a SSS there instead, lol. (Never gonna happen but what the hell)

24. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too! Remember Wes Wade and Waad Hirmez? ;)

25. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea Stadium in NY is right in line with La Guardia airport, as is the US Tennis Center. Ever hear all of those roaring jets during Mets games or the US Open? It's because the airport is practically next door to both of those facilities. I don't think the FAA would stop this if it ever got through to the serious planning stage.