San Diego

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by kasai, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    After seeing how difficult it has been for the Pads to get their ballpark, I don't see anyone going through all the hurdles of building a stadium for a nonexistant team. Construction in California is a very difficult thing. The only way a stadium would ever get built would be if a private investor puts up the money. Maybe Irwin Jacobs from Qualcomm can put up the kind of money you need to build a SSS.

I would predict the construction costs for a comparable stadium to that in Columbus would be around $70~100 million in San Diego. That does not even include the land.

The MLS can go with the philosophy that no stadium, no team, but if in two years no city has committed to a stadium, then they may have to revise their plans.

BTW, I thik a team in Qualcomm would do well for at least 3 years. The curiosity factor would bring people out and I think a 15~20k average is not out of the question.

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since the MLB went on strike many san diegans have been p*ssed that they decided to do that cause we're getting a new stadium for them (them as in Padres lol.) what if they stop building it cause they leave san diego? i'm wondering if they could fix the stadium to become a SSS! just kidding...im only acting weird as i do not think they'd spend the money nor the time to do THAT, ya know?

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I am pretty pissed off about the whole baseball park. I was excited about it in 98, but now I am regretting that decision. The ballpark will look great in the heart of downtown, but the sport is getting tarnished. If the Pads or baseball goes away, we can use that park for a soccer team. I know it is not a 25k stadium, but it is still going to be beautiful and it will seat a maximum of 45k.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh i know! its making me mad how much trouble they are having just getting the damn thing built. i feel sorry for baseball but i want soccer to become bigger than it, lol. that would be cool.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, now that the Galaxy are moving "down" to Carson (about 20-25 miles closer to San Diego), I don't think Anshutz/AEG would even allow a team in San Diego, as it would/might infringe upon some of its fan base. For example, I myself am hoping to buy a mini-season ticket plan next year to the Galaxy (even though I hate all LA teams; I will in most cases be rooting for the opposition), both because of the new stadium AND because it'll be about 1/2 hour closer to my abode.

If AEG used this as a reason NOT to have a team in San Diego, it would not be fair but would not be unprecedented, as Sakiewicz (I think) used some kind of 90-mile rule to rule out a new team in Trenton, New Jersey, which would have been too close to the Metros.

6. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, lots of leagues have special rules on location of teams and marketing etc. For example, I think it's against the rules for the Padres to market themselves in Orange county.

Of course, if the Galaxy wants to invoke this rule they better start marketing down here. It'd be nice to see Galaxy games down here. Perhaps on Cox channel 4??

BTW, did you guys read these two articles today in the SD Union-Tribune about the Chargers new training camp at the NTC?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/wed/sports/news_1s21canepa.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/wed/sports/news_1s21carson.html

7. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Huh that is something I never considered. I doubt too many San Diegans will drive up to Carson to watch the Galaxy, but I am sure the MLS would not want any competition in the SoCal market until it is a bigger league.

I would love to see some Galaxy games on Channel 4, but since the MLS is somewhat competing for the same season as MLB, I doubt that will ever happen. I know WUSA games are on Channel 4, but that is because we have a team in San Diego for now. Maybe we should send off an email to Cox 4 to see what they say about broadcasting some Galaxy games in the future.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy the Shootout Package. That's the best way to see boatloads of Galaxy games.

We will basicallly never see Galaxy games on Channel 4 since they have the Padres (primarily) and the Spirit (secondarily) already. Even if the Spirit/WUSA folded, I still don't think we'd see the Galaxy since the games mainly overlap with the Pads.

Basically we need 250 million bones to get our own team.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did see these articles, and enjoyed the map of the new complex. Looks like quite a layout.

Can't wait 'til it's all set, though with all the talk of the smog, I wonder if AEG/the National Team have made the right decision (much less if the Chargers have).

10. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Well you are throwing in a grand.... so all we need is, $249,999,000.

By the way, how much is the entrance fee to become an MLS investor. I can't see the teams being worth morth than 20 million IMHO. If the lower teir baseball teams are worth 100 million, MLS is lucky to be anywhere close to that. MLS is a league that may not be around in 6 years, but you know the MLB isn't going anywhere.

11. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    In a sort-of related question, how do most other San Diegans following the Galaxy? Even my souped-up antenna can't get in a reliable 1110 AM, (although Joe Turteno (sp?) is worth the static), and the lack of TV coverage is obnoxious.

Rooting for an LA team <i>is</i> kind of odd, though. Bring the MLS down here, put them in Otay, and call them the SD/TJ whatevers. We'll draw.

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a great idea to put 2 teams very close to each other cause it would create a fan-base conflict/feud. Much like the Yankees/Mets in NY and you see how much attention they get with that. Dodger fans love to come down here and start stuff with San Diegans. When the Raiders where in LA they also did the same. Not only Los Angelans (?) but a lot of Zonies come to San Diego for Padres games at the Q and cheer for the D'backs and they're very far from San Diego. As I've said before, Los Angeles and San Diego are always feuding in sports so I think it would be a good idea to put a team here. SD is a pretty good fan base for the MLS...I mean there's is freaking thread for it! Doesn't that say enough? (that last part was rhetorical, BTW)

13. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I think even though the Q is too large for the MLS right now, it could be a nice home when the Pads move out. The Q has hosted some really exciting games and is a good soccer stadium. Good marketing will definitely help out a team in SD as well. I remember before John Moores came to SD, the Padres were drawing 1 million for the season. now 2 million is a regular event and that is with a last place club. San Diegans love outdoor sports, and soccer is one their favorites.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not serious. Your not a Joe Tutino fan, are you? Yikes!!!

Just yanking your chain, although I find that guy incredibly obnnoxious.

Like I said, the best way to follow the Galaxy is with the Shootout package - you'll get almost all the games then.

I agree with you other guys too - we could have a great rivalry with the Galaxy if we got a team down here...and with single entity, we'd have a better chance to compete year in, year out.

kasai's idea of starting in the Q, and THEN building a stadium is a pretty good one, though MLS will never go for it considering their current pronouncements on the matter; plus, once you were in the Q, if you did okay, I imagine there would be stiff local opposition to a new stadium if they thought, "well, you already have the Q, why do you need a SSS?" Remember, the Chargers want to build a new stadium too. San Diego has other needs too.

Chula Vista is and remains our best hope, I'm convinced.

Not that we really have any hope to begin with... :(

15. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    LOL, you are right, we really don't have much of a chance right now, but I think in the future the Q will be a viable site for an expanded MLS. It may not be in this decade, but if the MLS survives, they will have to look at San Diego/Chula Vista with great interest.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ci.chula-vista.ca.us/

The above is a link to the City of Chula Vista government. It has a "contact us" link, as well as many other links to various departments within the government.

Maybe we should start an email deluge for a SSS?

Are there other contacts in San Diego - probably within the soccer community - who we can contact to get this thing off the ground?

I mean...to get this thing from out of the grave? ;)

17. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you see any email addresses? All I could find was snail mail.

Here's a link to the page with all of the council members names and snail mail address:

http://www.ci.chula-vista.ca.us/govmain.htm

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I quickly posted that before I left work and didn't actually look for an email.

But on the front, over to the left, where it says "City Departments", I found "Planning and Building" and opened up that link. There there is a an email link.

Of course I don't know if Planning and Building is the right office to contact. I'll bet other parts of the governments also have email links.

Maybe we should decide collectively who to contact/which part of the government, etc. and then all of us do it to the same person.

Maybe we could even disguise ourselves as prospective investors looking for "information". Probably a bad idea - well, almost certainly a bad idea - but you know what I mean, somehow finding a way to feel out if Chula Vista has thought about this at all.

Here's a link to the Planning and Building page (again, I'm not sure this is where we should be):

http://www.ci.chula-vista.ca.us/plandept.htm

19. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't think that the planning department is the way to go. Anything as big as this would definitely need to go through the city council and mayor. I definitely think it would be a good idea if we all write letters to the council members saying that a stadium would be a great idea for the City of Chula Vista.

Who knows if we send them enough letters, we might just inspire them to make an inquiry with MLS. I think that's the most we could do, unless one of us wins the lottery.

20. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Shirley Horton is the Mayor. I think she is running for State Assembly though. Her office would be a good place to start. She was one of those really interested in bringing the Pads to Chula Vista.

21. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets hope she likes soccer =\

22. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Well I know she likes politics because I think she is running for state assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins a seat because she seems intelligents and she is pretty good looking as well.

23. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LoL, interesting my friend. People at my school (sorry to get off topic) were telling me that they are getting mad at the fact that american football gets more attention than soccer...at my school that is, so i told them I will put more about soccer in our school newspaper. I get to make decisions like that cause I'm the sports page editor (for some ODD reason concidering soccer is the only sport i actually enjoy watching)

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has anyone called, written, anything?

I, myself, have done nothing.

25. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    nothing done here.... I am not a leader, I am a follower....LOL

I started this thread, so I figure someone else can do the other work.... HEHEHEHE