San Diego

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by kasai, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Their first game was in Utah against BYU which they won 1-0.

2. Eric Bekins

Eric Bekins New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    WVC, UT
    Anyone getting together to watch US v Mexico? Sometimes the local Telemundo affiliate doesn't show games with Mexico, since I think Televisa and/or TV Azteca has the exclusive rights to show them within Mexico, including Tijuana. Are there any places that get that HDnet channel?

3. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Oggi's in Carmel Valley (I-5 to Del Mar heights Rd. East, right on Carmel Country, on the right) gets Fox Sports World, and will put the game on for us. If you work south of the 5/805 merge it will be tough to get there. Any other suggestions? I know a lot of guys down here that would like to go.

4. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just spoke with a guy in SD who will show all the Euro 2004 games W/O a cover charge! He's got a full kitchen AND bar. Details to come soon! This is the best soccer news I've received in months.

5. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Funny how mls still hasn't announced anything regarding expansion. You need more than one year to create a team and market it. Typical MLS.

6. LimitZero

LimitZero New Member

May 5, 2004
    Do you think the Earthquakes would move to S.D.? I think there would be way more support for them here than in San Jose.

As for a soccer stadium, can the Little Q Rugby field be used? Any idea on how many people it can hold?

Rugby Field

Planning on going to my first Gauchos match on May 8th. Anyone know how much tickets are? I found no info on the website.

Gauchos Website

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Big Soccer! I don't think the Earthquakes would move here bacause it would cost too much for the league among other things. It would be very cool though.

8. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
  9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great news indeed.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe tix are no more than $12, and possibly as low as $5.

But don't quote me on that; I haven't been out there for a while.

11. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    welcome limitzero. I don't expect a team to move to San Diego anytime soon. With no stadium to think off, the chances of San Diego getting a team a really low right now. If TJ gets a d1 mexican team then our chances would be decreased even more.

BTW, I think San Jose does not support their club. I don't think management markets the team well, but still you have to draw better than 8k for your home opener.

12. Eric Bekins

Eric Bekins New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    WVC, UT
    Gauchos tickets are $7 for adults, I'm not sure what discount they give for kids, or at what age they start charging.

The Gauchos look a bit better than last year, but they're playing Fresno again this Saturday, so look for another tough game. If they can beat Fresno, then we'll know that this year's Gauchos team is for real.

And by the way, the Gauchos are playing some of their home games at Balboa Stadium, which is interesting because I've thought of that place as a possibile place to build a big modern soccer-specific stadium. But then for the Gauchos, by having two home venues you're setting yourself up for low attendance, since some fans will not always be aware of where the games are. Having one location all year is much better at showing stability. Of course, I'm sure the Gauchos couldn't give two nits about what I think.

13. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    I want to comment on the 2 venue stuff. If the team had a fanbase, then it would be a problem. However, by playing in 2 locations you open yourself up to more fans, especially on weekends like when you play back to back against the same team.

That being said, the Gauchos aren't ever going to be successful while the current front office run the team with all the charm of Mike Tyson without medication.

14. Eric Bekins

Eric Bekins New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    WVC, UT
    Hi again. It's about 1 hour until the Galaxy kick off against the Rapids up in Carson, and I'm not there. Though it's probably too late for today, does anyone know of places in San Diego that have the MLS shootout package that would be showing this game? I'm sure that any place I try tonight will be packed with people watching the Lakers game. But it would be nice for the future to know of places around town that have the MLS season package available. Anyone?

15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA