San Diego Sockers to MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Lithium858, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The General Manager and head coach of the Sockers said that MLS needs to come to San Diego eventually. He also said that Vergas...I mean Vergara needs to think of the whole community of San Diego instead of just the hispanics. Anyway, it doesn't really say Vergara should buy the Sockers or anything but that they should team up and loan players to each other because the Sockers already have been around for 20 years and knows the market. If you want to read the article, here's the link: (i got it from another forum lol)

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/default.asp?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=898

Personally, I think he should buy the Sockers because they've been around long enough and deserve to go outdoors into division one football again....

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The article cites Cleveland as being the front-runner for expansion in 2005.

Cleveland? Rochester? Toronto? Philly? Somewhere in Oklahoma? It's anybody's guess right now; it's all just speculation.

3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    While their tapping Brian Quinn's brain, they'd be crazy to pass me up, although they can't afford to pull me away from my current job! :D

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they tossed in a few senoritas along with a few margaritas, I'm sure something could be worked out.

5. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Maybe the Sockers can convince Hugo Sanchez to return. I am pretty sure he has family in Chula Vista :)

I say bring back the Sockers, put Ron Newman as coach and insert Luis Hernandez at center forward :)

6. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Don't forget to add a very old and crusty Steve Zungul, the Lord of indoor soccer, on the team.

viva Chico Borja and God Bless the United States of America!

7. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Don't forget about Victor Nogueira, the holder of every single goalkeeping record in indoor soccer history! Hopefully P.J. Johns and Chris Vaccaro can return for the Cleveland expansion team, assuming they can get out of their wheelchairs...

8. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Hey Holmes,
    I happened to run into Victor Noguirea at a restaurant in Wichita a couple years ago. I didn't even realize it was him but he was with the Milwaukee Wave. He looked pretty down and out. I want to loan him some of my tip money at the Souper Salad I was working at. Tip money at Souper Salad? Why that's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard!!!
    I still couldn't score on that crusty old bastard though no matter how old he is. Thanks for the Chris Vacarro reference. Do you perhaps remember a goalkeeper names Nenad "Ziggy" Zigante? He was quite the stud as well, but not liek Victor.

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that the Galaxy are rebranding themselves as the LA Frickin' "Lazers".

- Paul

10. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Don't remember Zigante, but as a six year-old kid trying to learn all the names of all the MISL goalies, the name may have come across once or twice. I used to go to Force games at the old Richfield Coliseum...those were the days.

11. ArtForceOne

ArtForceOne New Member

May 10, 2002
    Akron, Ohio USA
    I wouldn't mind if the new San Diego team is called the Sockers. It has history, especially as part of the NASL. They won TEN championships even if it was for indoor soccer. Hell, almost any name is better than Chivas.

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. Lets petition MLS! j/k

13. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chivas is the worst name possible for a San Diego team but Sockers is pretty close, I can imagine that cartoon logo.
    Is it a go for a San Diego team in 2004 or 05 or it's still all rumors?

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like barely anyone on BS can spell "Sockers" correctly. Everyone says San Diego "Soccers" lol.

15. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    The Truth Commissioner,
    Would you believe that I have been playing on the old Cleveland Force's turf for the last 15 years?!?! It is in Wichita and is always being sold to other indoor soccer facilities in the city. It is really REALLY getting ratty but you can still see the Force logo in the center. Just a little FYI.

16. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Correction, probably more like 9 years but it feels like 15.

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Thanks for the info ;)

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm bored so I decided to bring this thread back! Does anyone else think that all A-League teams should get "promoted" to MLS at point or another? That would make things really interesting and more European-like.

19. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tatu needs to play a season wih the dallas burn

20. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't he retire? lol

21. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this will be my final attempt to get everyone to believe the Sockers should be in MLS, haha. It's weird how everyone wants the Seattle Sounders to be in MLS but not the Sockers. oh well...

22. cityfranco

cityfranco New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MOVE CHIVAS USA TO SAN DIEGO AND RENAME THEM TO SAN DIEGO SOCKERS
    and keep the jersey the same! i love the way it says S-O-C-K-E-R-S across the jersey! and have a Hugo Sanchez Banner, like the way Chicago Fire has the "ring of fire" banners in the stadium!

Atlanta Chiefs, NY Cosmos too..

23. Elías Remolque

Feb 24, 2008
    Buenos Aires
    Third page!

24. cityfranco

cityfranco New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team: