San Diego Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Various Styles, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Re: Re: Re: Re: San Diego Galaxy

Me too, we all love to meet Various Styles one day. Dont worry, he is not gay. He seems to like soccer and I'm trying to recruit him for our team or LA Chivas. I know he would love the Chivas USA project. I think that LA could support two teams at the home depot. LA Galaxy has its own 20+ fans in hands and I expect to see the home depot "sold out" for most games in the near future. LA Galaxy vs LA Chivas will be a garantee sold out. I'm still thinking about it. I dont know which Mexican clubs have more supporter in San Diego. As far as LA, I think both Chivas and Club America have plenty of support.

Adios, gracias amigos

2. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I SUGGESTED THIS MONTHS AGO AND DIDNT GET THE CREDIT FOR BEING A GENIUS I DESERVED!

i made a thread saying the best expansion idea ever would be to have the galaxy in san diego and chivas in the home depot center. (only way to have big crowds at the hdc for every game)

3. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Huh? So the 23,000 plus I've been with at most Galaxy games areen't good crowds? Wake up. Chivas works in the HDC WITH the Galaxy also there. Two completely different fan bases.

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because it wasn't a good idea and it still isn't. dawgpound2 is right that there'd be 2 fanbases so Chivas & Galaxy @ HDC can work. I've already made allegiance to 1 team and I'm not switching because another one is taking place. I know I can still be loyal to the Galaxy if they ever moved to SD, but it's not necessary that they do and it sure would piss off the core fanbase that already have allegiance to the Galaxy.

5. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    I guess I'll have to start supporting ManU, Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern Munich and Juventus just like I've always wanted.
    Hell, throw Brazil in as well. Screw the US.

In fact, screw everybody. Go Yankee--- <Ackk...>

Okay, that actually stuck in my throat.

6. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    Until I hear definitively different, I am assuming that Chivas USA will be based in Houston. It's got a perfect soccer stadium that has already proved its worth during international games and games between Mexican teams.

I love the idea of a crosstown rival - I think it would be awesome for soccer in this country to have such a thing. But I don't think it's going to happen right now.

7. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    I like the idea of the Chivas franchise at the Coliseum, if only because the two seem to be a perfect fit. The Coliseum has history and atmosphere. But 2 teams in LA? Bad, bad idea IMO. There's got to be a big overlap in fanbase. And I like the fact that the Galaxy draws people from all kinds of backgrounds, the common denominator being a love of soccer and some level of civic pride. I could not see myself being a "Chivas USA" fan and where would that leave me if the Galaxy moved?

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by The Cadaver
    I'm glad you made it to the all star game. Sorry I didn't know you were coming - I would have liked to meet you.

Me thinks i will be returning to the HDC Nov 23rd. Let me know if you will be there and dont forget to bring beer..

Originally posted by Juan Luis Guerra
    Me too, we all love to meet Various Styles one day.

JLG you can bring even more beer :)

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow, so you'll go to see quality soccer? Interesting...

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you are refering to Reliant, the league has categorically dismissed it as a possible site. Sorry, but I don't have a link.

11. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    no, carlos is right. MLS will not setup shop in Reliant stadium, even though it is a solid venue for the game - I think it has more to do with plastic pitches and rental fees rather than community support.

clearly, there was a 55% pro-El Tri and 45% pro-USA crowd in the 0-0 draw early his year.

Houston has the market. . .

but in terms of the expansion team coming next season, it seems that the MLS has settled on San Diego as the site.

what with the audience they can draw from TJ, SD, and South Orange County. .. I'd say it's a perfect fit.

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Champions League is not quality soccer :confused:

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexicans around San Diego aren't all huge soccer fans as everyone assumes. In fact the Mexicans on the Pacific Coast are mostly huge baseball fans. Most of the soccer fans live in the inland part of Mexico. At least that's what my stepmom says who is from Mazatlan...

My point? Chivas won't draw as many fans as one thinks. You want mad soccer fans? Go further southeast from the US boarder. Otheriwise you'll find mostly baseball fans.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    True dat that beisbol is #1 on the Pacific, but TJ is comprised of ALL of Mexico, just like Cancun. And just like Cancun, due to the constantly shifting populace, it's difficult for teams to build a fan base there.

But SD is an enormously successful venue for MMNT b/c all of Mexico is represented in TJ.

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please elaborate on this more. My thinking is that you have all the social-structured groups in this city and they would cross the border to support the Goats.

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Diego Galaxy

Maybe that's wishful thinking, because I doubt they will support it. Afterall Mexico IS our biggest rival...