San Diego Boca FC thread

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by athletics68, Jan 29, 2010.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely time to rename the thread, but I'd put a note that it was the Boca thread so people don't get confused for a while since the iCon name change did kind of come out of the blue.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it looks like SD iCon have revealed they won't be playing at Balboa Stadium as originally planned but rather have arranged to play at Torero Stadium instead on the campus of USD. Definitely a nicer stadium with a real grass pitch but I can't imagine renting from USD vs the High School would be cheaper.

They also have a vision for their own stadium long term (just like SD Boca did and just like the SD Flash did for a time as well). They even have a rendering.

[​IMG]

If that looks strangely familiar to you it should... iCon simply stole the San Diego Flash's rendering of what they'd like to be their home stadium and changed the graphics on it. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered why that seemed familiar. :rolleyes:

TBH, I never really got into the Boca, even though I do love soccer. Crummy old stadium that I'd always get lost getting out of. Staff really weren't too helpful when I had a question. And it was unsafe for me to descend the stairs because of how the railing(s) were. But hey, it's old, so it doesn't need to be ADA-compliant.

I hope the Icon is better. I am very glad they will be using the Torero stadium. Further out, but set up better.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we'll see how long they're using Torero. If the rumors about Real Salt Lake putting a USL team in San Diego end up like they should (at least short term), the USL side would make more sense at Torero than the iCon guys. That and frankly I'm starting to wonder if iCon is in fact playing at Torero. They don't even refer to it as such, rather they call it USD Soccer Stadium. Of course that could just be another one of the grammatical misfires that litter their pretty bad website.

5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At risk of derailing this thread, I'll be happy with either team inhabiting Torero. I do hope that RSD thing comes to fruition.

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to ask what's the motive behind RSL putting a USL team here, is it to have first picks over the talent we produce here and fuel their academy and team?
    I would totally be on board with the RSL thing especially since it would give us exposure and maybe convince the city, investors etc. to put a MLS team here(providing people come out and watch).

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say RSL's interest is two fold. One their owner has a home here and wants a team closer to it, which makes sense if you can afford it (and he's not the first sports team owner to move/create a team close to his home as any remaining San Diego Clippers fans well know). Second issue is that RSL want to extend their reach both brand and recruiting wise. They've already made the academy play into Phoenix, now they're making the lower level team play into SD. They're no doubt hoping to get in on one of the bigger soccer hotbeds in SoCal.

And it will definitely give us some exposure, and finally return D3 or above soccer to San Diego for the first time in over a decade since the first Flash folded. But as for being something that leads to MLS... not so sure. With an MLS team ostensibly owning the USL side, it would seem to inhibit SD's expansion into MLS rather than help it. Not unless the RSL owner suddenly wants to own two MLS sides in the end or if he eventually sells the USL side to a crony who could move the up. Those concerns aside though, beggers can't be choosers. If this is the best SD can do short or even long term it's better than we have now. And MLS is quickly filling up, with SD not even on the radar. I mean they've pretty much got their next 3 teams mapped out in Miami, Atlanta and either Minneapolis or San Antonio which takes the league to 24. And Sacramento and the loser of MINN/SA seems likely to be 25 and 26 if they keep on track. SD may never get a shot at an expansion team in MLS at least not for a very long time.

And bringing it back to Torero, at least short term it would seem to be the stadium in SD that is best suited to a D3 team (it's a bit big and pricey for a team like iCon). At least until the D3 team decides to build their own stadium if that is a goal of theirs (and hopefully it is).

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it would be an inhibitor but with no real concrete future over the chargers we can see the public and perhaps even the city get behind a MLS team.
    I completely agree though that if this is the best we can do by all means USL > NPSL.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the Chargers situation is of course the wild card since the city has expressed interest in getting a third tenant into any new Chargers stadium to share with them and the Aztecs. But with that stadium still up in the air (mainly due to the Chargers unwillingness to commit a $$$ amount to it), we could again be waiting years if not decades for that to happen. And even with a new Chargers stadium there'd be no guarantee of an MLS team being forthcoming with no ownership identified yet.

Being what amounts to a AAA team of RSL isn't ideal, particularly with SD being a bigger market than Salt Lake. But it is better than any of the current options in San Diego. And it could succeed provided they do it right. The popularity of the teams we do have, particularly the indoor Sockers and the various friendlies, along with TV viewership, shows the market is craving the game. Market the thing, give it a San Diego identity (Real San Diego seems like a no brainer) opposed to RSL II like the Galaxy are doing up in LA, and maybe even have their own long term stadium plan ready if MLS never does come to SD (since a Chargers stadium would be too big for RSD anyway).

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll add that its not the worse thing to be affiliated with RSL. They are a great team, that cares about the details and about growing the game. They have done a great job in SLC and would do a first class job in San Diego, given the chance.

11. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Long story but here goes. When Boca fell apart. My group SoCal Elite U23 came together with RM the supposed owner of the NPSL spot. We did not take any Boca with us. We created a new club and image to play in the NPSL spot that Boca had held. We are completely different from the old group. NPSL approved our use and ownership of the spot in Oct. Then in January the other old owners from Boca pressed NPSL for their right to use the spot. NPSL has suspended the spot for 1 year so the 2 Boca Owners can fight it out in court. RM was removed from iConFC. We withdrew iCon FC from NPSL and we will play in a local league June and July. This cleans house of any Boca people from icon. Our plans are to reapply to NPSL for 2015. We will hopefully be able to produce some good exhibition games this summer for your entertainment. The website had just come up when all the problems arose, we are fixing and adjusting all the simple mistakes and bugs on it. We appreciate all your comments about our club and website. We are taking care of the social media soon, so be patient with us. We are super soccer lovers and want San Diego to have the team they deserve. We have amazing coaches and players waiting to show you what they have. We will keep you up to date on our progress. Please contact iCon FC at the website if you have more thoughts and comments. We do hear you and want the community to be involved with us!

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you think you guys will be playing? I know you originally were thinking Torero Stadium, but if the USL team takes that stadium I don't see what benefit it would be to iCon to be a second rate tenant at the venue.

13. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    It is our future desire to play in the Torero Stadium. What team wouldn't? We know the price tag is high, but we are patient. We have been building quietly for 3 1/2 years. Since we are playing in a different league we can play anywhere in SD. We don't care for Balboa either, but under the old Boca spot we needed to start there. Now we don't! What do you think about Mesa College. Central location and good parking. Where would you like to see us play?
    We welcome a USL team and would like to work with that ownership group to create the best teams in SD. We have soccer and the players as our priority, refreshing Yes?
    We understand that money in soccer is hard to come by and lots of work is in order. We are ready to go for it!

14. Jabez Ramone

Jabez Ramone Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Southern California
    I like Mesa College as a location. Easy access and plenty of parking. People will complain no matter where you play, unless it's at Torero.

Best of luck on the new team. I hope it all comes together for you.