San Diego 1904 FC expansion thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by XaviusX, Jun 30, 2012.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in San Diego has anything to do with the Cosmos.

athletics68 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But the inital question was will the USL assume the NASL assume the existing or future franchises including San Diego?

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The USL is not assuming anything. The San Diego team that was going to be in the NASL is now apparently going to be in the USL. We don't know for sure if they will use the 1904 name but that seems likely. Indy Eleven, North Carolina, Tampa Bay all took their names from the NASL to the USL. The teams did that, the USL did not. They just accepted them as new teams in their league.

All of that doesn't imply anything at all about the relationship between the USL and NASL or the other teams like the Cosmos or Armada. I'm not sure why you think it does.

Yes, the Cosmos name has some value but it is owned by a group that doesn't want anything to do with the USL and it is unlikely that the USL wants a team in New York. Maybe things will change but the San Diego situation has nothing to do with that.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly what I meant. The bottom line is will San Diego now play in the USL and if so when?

What else is there? If there is no NASL, it has to be either MLS or USL....

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s have to have been a San Diego NASL franchise for that to apply.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or no team at all.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I meant will the San Diego expansion team that was slated to play in the NASL eventually go to the USL?

If that is the case, what’s the point of the thread?

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors and inuendoes at this point

9. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    athletics68 repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems that way. They could always try USL 2 or NISA (if it happens) as they’re not entirely dead yet. But without D2 I don’t give them much of a chance.

2in10 repped this.
  13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well never say never. They’ve played one game, and we’re less than 48 hours from their home debut...

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Social Media National Champions!

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re a little too reliant on it if you ask me, and not targeting it well when they do use it. I don’t know anyone personally who knew they existed before I told them.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1904 FC
    @1904_FC
    San Diego Football at it’s finest. Grateful to return to the pitch Always happy to put in the work
    Preseason game 1904 FC @San Diego Loyal
    Sunday, March 28

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerToday
    SAN DIEGO SOCCER DERBY:
    San Diego Loyal
    defeat
    1904 FC
    USL Championship
    and
    NISA - National Independent Soccer Association
    Teams Face-Off in Preseason Battle
    Southern California has always been a hot bed for soccer and now in San Diego there is a USL Championship team as well as a NISA team — two American professional men’s soccer leagues which are under Major League Soccer. This weekend, the two pro teams played the San Diego Derby — a preseason warm up with bragging rights.
    USL Championship’s San Diego Loyal dominated the first of two 75 minute sessions against NISA’s 1904 FC in a preseason San Diego Derby. With a dominating 6-0 performance at the Chula Vista Athlete Training Center on Sunday afternoon, the SD Loyal’s proved their power and agility on the pitch.
    While the results may be lopsided, these are secondary to the importance of having two professional soccer clubs helping each other improve and showcasing the plethora of talent in the Southern California region.

mike4066 repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NISA Official
    @NISALeague

4h
    SD 1904 FC is opting for a different route to prepare for the fall season and will not participate in the Independent Cup. The Southwest Region will comprise of three teams in a round-robin format:Atletico Olympians (Ariz.),Cal United Strikers (NISA),FC Arizona (Ariz.).

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's not good news. I'd say their lack of a designated stadium probably played into this. That and the fact they can't be doing well in general. I mean they went from being notable news to being completely forgotten locally. I used to see their stickers on cars, they used to be in the local papers occasionally, etc... but after that opening season at SDCCU stadium they kinda fell off the radar and have been completely supplanted by the SD Loyal.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they should re-boot and focus on north county. They can keep the name but need to go all in on local sponsorships for oceanside/carlsbad/vista.

The city and southbay belong to loyal.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I agree. Strange as it sounds because as I understand it their fanbase, such as it is, hails from the south bay. But they've really lost out in the last year and a half since they had fans in the stands last. The Loyal launched, played a full, visible, season and have now played close to half a season in front of increasing numbers of fans. Really the 1904's window was that first fall where they had the city to themselves and they made a splashy and (over) ambitious entrance. If they'd found a better place to play than SDCCU Stadium I think they could have parlayed that into something that would have weathered COVID. But at this point I just don't see how they can make central SD work and there's little room for a new stadium in the south bay.

Honestly, for the good of soccer in the region, I'd rather see everything consolidate behind the higher level team in the Loyal. Not that I think the 1904FC are pulling much of any interest away at this point (I think their last streaming game had viewership in the sub-300 range). But every little bit to sore up our best bet at a D1 team IMO, the better. And the 1904 ain't it.

mike4066 repped this.