San Antonio

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by eclipse02, May 29, 2010.

1. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    AC Defenders is clearly the best name (Alamo City Defenders)

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess the difference between that and Houston 1836 is that the Mexicans actually won at the Alamo?

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nah. They'll still complain.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If history is a good analogy, then Alamo City Defenders should get destroyed by a club in Mexico but then the said Mexican team would lose to eventual winners Austin or Houston. Right? ;)

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can take from it what you want.

Depending on what account you use, 182-257 Texians put down 400-600 Mexicans ... I like those numbers.

Also, while the outward joke is obvious, the real joke is on everyone (which appears to include yourself) that apparently has no actual concept of Texas History. That's fine as the name of our club wouldn't relate to you, nor would it intend to.

"Defenders" is quite appropriate for several reasons. People such as yourself will simply mock it with the whole "you got massacred" bit. That's all well and good. We'll just smile at your ignorance.

At the Alamo, despite losing the battle, the war against the Mexican Army was won there. The Texians at the Alamo knew what was coming and knew what the outcome would be ... they didn't flinch, but rather, let their huge nuts hang out and paid the ultimate price in order for the war for Texas to be won.

But hey ... the facts of the matter have eluded yourself and the majority of people outside of Texas for this long ... why worry about them now eh ?

You go ahead and make the jokes and we'll just laugh off your ignorance k ?

6. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    HTTK... You are right. Texians & Tejanos knew they were outnumbered and still stayed to DEFEND. Defending at all costs including the ultimate... Death!

That is why we Crocketteers honor David Crockett, Bowie, Seguin and William Travis with out motto "Victory or Death" as Travis wrote in his letters from within the walls of the Alamo during the 13 day seige.

If you ever come to San Antonio, you will see the pride we have in our state's most important landmark, the Alamo. Both hispanics and non hispanics alike are proud of our history and we are never offended by that.

On an interesting note... (restating what I wrote in Aztex forum):

The Crocketteers are 18 months old and in 18 months from now (Apr 2012) the team we dreamed about supporting will take the pitch. 18 + 18 = 36 months the Crocketteers will have been in existence when that day comes.

I can't help but be amazed by the uncanny refence to the year 1836. We clearly chose the right historical reference to base our supporters group on.

7. CREN

CREN BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to San Antonio. It's my favorite city in the U.S. and my "home away from home" outside of Philly. Seems like the team has a solid owner, and I think a team there will flourish.

FC Alamo would be a cool name. San Antonio Desperados??? (Although more I think about it, might be impossible because of the Arena Football Team in Dallas)

Again congrats, and maybe I'll be lucky to attend a few games a couple of years from now.

8. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, a pretty good reaction then? Sam's a good, solid first name. I don't see why it would get a bad reaction. ;)

9. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I thought it was a Keillor suggestion.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Hands

Hands Member

May 5, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just created a Request thread.

12. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    San Antonio fans: Meet the Owners of the San Antonio NASL team tonight at the Crocketteers General Meeting (7:30 PM @ Freetail Brewing Company). We will be on the patio and will have a PA System. Gordon Hartman and Pepe Mirabent of DAO Sports will be in attendance. Pepe will speak as well.

Victory or Death!

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ed Sakiewicz still involved with San Antonio soccer?

14. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ed is involved in many different soccer venues. He is currently working with the Haitian amputee soccer team down in Argentina. Here is a link to the project he is working on. http://www.iisport.org/

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jhope repped this.
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States