San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by I. Tristeza, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    General news, analysis, opinion, etc....

Here's a Splitter highlight video with a few clips of Scola as well.... (sorry, I haven't figured out how to imbed video yet).

Also, Ian Mahinmi recently had an injury setback.

I like the size and range of both Splitter and Mahinmi. Hopefully, they'll both be in the Spurs rotation by 2009.

2. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've been hearing Grant Hill was likely to joint the Spurs, but now it's being reported that the Suns are interested.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You take everything after the equal sign in the youtube video you want to post. Surround it with this: [ youtube ] [ /youtube ] but no spaces between the [ and y, the e and ], the [ and / and the e and ]

[youtube]nlrqMS7tp-A&v3[/youtube]

Click quote on my post and you'll see what it looks like.

Splitter definitely will once he gets out of his contract in Spain which they think should happen next season when it's a $1 mil. buyout. The Spurs are allowed to pay $500k in a buyout and he should be able to get the rest.

I've read they were high on Mahinmi's development the last year or so in Europe and he was going to play in the summer league but that injury puts him on the shelf for the summer so unless he keeps improving in Europe in the fall/winter/spring I don't know if he can make the Spurs roster for the 08/09 season.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jacque Vaughn re-signs for 2 years at the minimum:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070307.1D.spurs.35ae932.html

I think Beno Udrih is going to be traded or released now.

The article also says the Spurs are working to re-sign Matt Bonner (probably at a minimum also).

Fabricio Oberto is about to re-sign with the Spurs for 3 years:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070207.3D.spurs.35e8239.html

Spurs are staying old, but they like what these guys bring to the table and I sure didn't want them to let Fab go.

5. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    It's looking that way. It's a shame, as I think he is a good player and an excellent passer when he's getting minutes and his confidence is up. His inability to play defense doomed him with Pop, however.

Perhaps he'll still have some value as a piece in a trade deal. Local radio keeps reporting that the Spurs are rumored to be in sign and trade discussions with Chicago for Nocioni, but I haven't seen anything substantial to back this up. Furthermore, Paxson vows Nocioni is staying a Bull.

I'd like to see Nocioni in a Spurs uniform, but that has to be considered a longshot.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of all the restricted and unrestricted free agents this summer the one at the top of my wish list for the Spurs to get is Nocioni. I never thought there was a chance of that but it's heartening to see there is talk it could happen.

If the Spurs got him it would be huge.

7. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sonics to hire Carlesimo

I was hoping he'd be passed over again and remain with the Spurs. I would guess he'll be taking at least one other staff member with him.

8. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    This article about Darko Milicic mentions San Antonio as a potential destination for the Yugoslav.

The idea is that Darko signs a one year deal for the mid-level exception since San Antonio will have cap space next year to give him a better deal.

The article also mentions that Milicic could go to Chicago if Chicago were to renounce the rights to Andres Nocioni.

Either way, this keeps the Spurs in the mix to potentially land a big free agent this summer.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Bulls have an offer on the table to Nocioni for, I believe, the mid-level exception. If Nocioni signs an offer sheet for Memphis (who really appears to want him) the Bulls can match.

The Bulls apparently want the rights to Luis Scola because he's a big man who can score down low and that's what they need.

I've liked the prospect of Scola for a while now, but if the Spurs can trade his rights to the Bulls for Nocioni in a sign and trade I would be ecstatic.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=328856

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It looks like Nocioni is staying with the Bulls. Signing a 5 year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2928061

Becomes official on Monday. Once a player signs a new deal he can't be traded for 60 days. So I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

11. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    oh well. at least we have this.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not much to talk about regarding the Spurs in the summer league. As usual it's a team made up of a bunch of no-names.

Jackie Butler and James White are the only two playing who were on the Spurs roster last year and they each only played in just a few games for the Spurs.

Both White and Butler have played decently in the summer so far. Butler has been showing his talent down low and could start getting some quality minutes during the regular season.

The only other player of note is Marcus Williams who they drafted in the 2nd round. He's a type of player that could help the team in the long run, but he'll really have to show well as the team doesn't have to sign him and I think the Spurs will only have one spot open on the roster. So far he hasn't done much in Vegas from what I've read.

13. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
  14. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Spurs have agreed to trade Jackie Butler and the rights to Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for Greek guard Vassilis Spanoulis.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA071207.WEBspurstrade.en.6be36230.html

The story indicates that Spanoulis will play next season in Europe before joining the Spurs in 2009.

I don't know what to think about this other than it was looking less and less likely that Scola was ever going to play for the Spurs, so at least they got something for him (apparently). Spanoulis had a less than stellar rookie year with the Rockets, but hopefully he can revive his NBA career in SA.

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've always thought the Spurs mgmt. was really good but this is an absolutely terrible trade based on ownership not wanting to pay any luxury taxes.

First you don't trade big for small. Butler for Spanoulis alone is a bad trade. Throw in Scola (who is considered one of the better players in Europe right now) makes it even worse.

Spanoulis will never play for the Spurs. The Spurs also got a future 2nd round draft pick, which means they can take a player they never have to sign, and some cash considerations. All of that points to the ownership doing this to remain under the cap because it certainly doesn't free up enough to make a decent signing.

16. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well I hope they're doing this with their eye on bringing someone in next year because they absolutely have to get new blood into this roster.

I'm glad they are bringing their roster back to defend, but the Spurs really need to find a new impact player for 2009.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One reason I've thought Buford was such a good GM prior to the ridiculous trade is he has been structuring contracts over the last couple of years to make sure there is a bunch of money available for free agents after the 08/09 season.

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was right:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...n_marc&id=2935125&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

Spurs will save about $7 mil. because of this. Hopefully it is used wisely so my faith can be restored.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    10/30/07 NBA Opening Night

Spurs versus Trailblazers

21. TheRoc5

TheRoc5 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    GOSPURSGO TX
    Yep im pretty excited, ima try to get tickets to opening game..I dont know why they wanted to give us the blazers the first game..I mean the first game of the season will be a blow out.:D

22. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    I think that's a good ring ceremony match up for the Spurs. You have the big man of the present vs. the big man of the future.

The only thing I don't like about the Spurs schedule is the number of back to backs. I count 18 or 19, which seems high. They also appear to have three back to backs during their 9 game rodeo road streak. That could be brutal.

In other news, the greatest Spur I never saw signed with the Rockets a few weeks back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2940183

Of course, Houston has not completed the buyout for Luis with his current club, Tau Ceramica, which is what kept him from playing for the Spurs all these years. We'll see how the Rockets fare with this. If they make it look easy or cheap, I have to admit I'll be upset with R.C. and crew.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  24. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    I saw a good interview with Udoka by a local sports station Sunday night along with a lot of highlights from last season in Portland. He really looks and sounds like a good fit for this team--but if Bowen's level of play doesn't drop off too much from last year he may have a hard time finding minutes. Unless he has more in the bag offensively than I've seen in his highlight reels, I don't see Pop playing him and Bruce at the same time as it would just limit the offense too much.

25. Green-go

Green-go New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    4 going on 5