San Antonio Soccer

Discussion in 'Crocketteers' started by VioletCrown, Jul 25, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting this thread for folks down in San Antonio. I've been in discussion with a BS newbie that was wanting a place to gather here, so I'm starting this for him since he doesn't have thread-starting privileges yet.

Me? The Lone Stars - Pumas games were awesome back in the day, and I'm dreaming of a time when San Antonio will be back.

Wouldn't an Austin - San Antonio USL-1 derby be kick-ass?

2. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Thanks VioletCrown for starting this thread.

Obviously being from San Antonio, I would love to support the local club. Although being a little too you during the Pumas stint here in San Antonio, I relish the idea of an Austin/SA rivalry.

I know San Antonio had their chance with the MLS before the current Mayor crushed all hopes of it ever starting, but I still believe the city is more than capable of supporting a professional soccer franchise. With Austin joining the USL-1, I see the doors opening for San Antonio to do the same one day.

My intention with this new thread is to stir up support for at the very minimum a USL club in San Antonio.

So San Antonians, please keep this thread alive and who knows maybe a future San Antonio Supporter's Group will come of this. Aztex faithful or other SA outsiders - you are very welcome to show your support.:D

3. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go to USL games, if we had a team. That would be fun. I'm not sure where they'd play games, maybe Alamo Stadium or something like that. But I think they'd get pretty decent support if it happened...even the minor league hockey team gets people to show up.

4. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I'm not sure how well the Rampage taps into the local hispanic community. It probably does just fine but a USL team IMO can make greater inroads to that demographic.

5. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too think a supporters club would be great for SA. I do believe we will see pro soccer in San Antonio someday. Some things just take time. I will stay in touch

6. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Hopefully, the rumors of an upcoming USL San Antonio announcment pan out.

I too thought of Alamo Stadium but isn't it astro-turf? The Alamodome was going to be used for the MLS team that was going to be awarded to SA and I believe that was going to be a Field Turf surface. At the very minimum a Field Turf solution would be needed.

7. ChexMex

ChexMex New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    My friends and I have also been enjoying the idea of having a soccer team here in SA. I think our question was mutual as to where they would play. Naturally I question why not the Alamodome since it's there anyway? Either way getting a team here would be great and IMO as well, more functional/popular vs. a hockey team (ie Rampage)

8. jrock210

jrock210 New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    I live in SA and there is plenty of places we could bring a team to. I heard a ru,mor they were talking of bringing a team into the Schertz area.
    Alamo Stadium or the AlamoDome would be perfect for a place to play.
    I'd go and cheer on the SA team.

9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Obviously, I am not in SA, but en el Valluco. With rumors of a PDL or USL team in Browsville, it would be kick ass to have a San Antonio-Austin-Laredo-Houston-Brownsville soccerthon. :D

10. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Glad you forgot Dallas. Might as well be in Oklahoma. ;)

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :D

Oooops!

But. Damn. Dallas is about 12 hours from where I am at. :p

I also forgot to add El Paso..but they might as well be in Califas.

OK....The Texas Soccer League:

San Antonio (maybe)
    Austin - PDL and USL1
    El Paso - PDL
    Brownsville (maybe)
    Houston - PDL and MLS
    Laredo - PDL
    Dallas - PDL and MLS

Who am I missing?

12. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Remember that the Hispanic population in San Antonio is A LOT different than the Hispanic population in Houston. So different, that I don't know if this team would gather enough support. Another problem (that has been mentioned) is a stadium. The Alamodome is way to big for a team that would have (especially in the beginning) little support. The only other stadium that I can think of is Alamo Stadium, which is directly across Trinity University. It is owned by the San Antonio Independent School District and currently hosts high school games (biggest high school stadium in state) but has also hosted college football games. It has 23,000 seats (more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo_Stadium)

However, I see a team doing a lot better in more 1st/2nd generation Hispanic cities such as El Paso, or a smaller city closer to the border.

13. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I'm curious to know what you see different with the hispanic populations in El Paso, San Antonio, & Houston. You obviously are making the statement that San Antonio differs from Houston and El Paso.

Differences between cities does not translate to one city not being able to support a team. In fact the San Antonio Spurs are proof that differences mean nothing. Who would of thought a small town Texan city in the 70s would gather enough support to keep a failing ABA franchise from Dallas from finally calling it quits?

Austin will have its USL-1 team and there are differences between Austion and SA as well. There are even differences between Austin, Houston, and El Paso.

If SA can support a league like the NBA, a minor league in the AHL, then why not the USL?

In Texas, San Antonio is the closest major US city to the border. Look how far Dallas is from the border.

I guess my point is: all cities will be different. What do you see as the recipe for a successful soccer town? The MLS did choose San Antonio at one point afterall.

(not meant to pick a fight; just want to see it from all angles)

14. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    It is true that San Antonio has one of the largest Hispanic populations in Texas (along with Houston), but like i said, they are completely different. Houston, as opposed to San Antonio, has a huge influx of immigrants constantly. Therefore the Hispanic population in Houston is made up primarily of 1st and 2nd generation Mexican immigrants who retain their culture. The Dynamo came around at a great time because it captured a lot of that base and has instilled the sport into their culture as (through the generations) this population gets "Americanized"

The Hispanic population in San Antonio (which is actually the majority) is composed of 3rd, 4th (and so on...) generation Americans of Hispanic descent. Most of this Hispanic population is already "Americanized" to the point that they have replace their sporting culture, with American sports (primarily football). You have to realize that the parents or grandparents of these 3rd and 4th generation immigrants, were not exposed to Mexican soccer when they came to Texas (coverage of the Mexican League and Mexico games was very limited 15 years ago). Therefore this made a lot of them lose this part of their culture and their desire to fit into the American way of life, made them embrace American sports.

Also, even though it is closer to Mexico, for some reason, San Antonio does not see the influx of new immigrants that Houston does.

I am not saying that there is no way a USL team can succeed, after all, San Antonio is a large city that is constantly growing. However, a big mistake would be to count on the Hispanic population for support (which might be used as an argument) when you cannot expect the following just because they are Mexican immigrants.

And this is not just me talking out of my ass. There has been extensive study done on this cultural difference.

15. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I'll agree with your statement that it would be a big mistake to count on the Hispanic population just because they are Mexican immigrants. In fact, no one here has made that argument ("because they are Mexican immigrants").

My point is that you can make the 3rd 4th generation hispanics argument in Austin, Dallas as well. You can say Austin is even more "Americanized" than SA. Dallas even more so. And its a much more competitive sports market in Dallas (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB).

A USL-1 team requires a 5k stadium. I'm sure the 8th largest city in the USA can manage that. At least I hope. :)

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I think a major role. I remember them being involve with the MLS situation. I played in SASA and they talked to me alot about the Dynamo and heading up for games.

18. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    From the outside, i.e., from the RGV amateur soccer scene, SASA has excellent soccer tournaments and seems well organized. Do they have large # of players and supporters?

19. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I really don't know the answer to that. I do know there are 3 divisions and a coed one too. They play the games at two locations in the greater SA area.

20. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
  21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love nothing more than to see the Camino Real Derby become a reality.

you esses can help make it happen.Take a page from the book's of the Rowdies Supporters, the Sons of Ben, and the Timbers Army. Organize, march, let the stuffed shirts and suits know you mean business, let the city council know of your desire, your pashion, and your love of the beautiful game.

VAMOS SA, GET ER DONE SOO WE CAN HAVE A NEW, IMPROVED, DERBY ON OUR HANDS HERE IN TEJAS. :D

22. Soccer X

Soccer X New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    hi from england. Just wondered how the WPS league - ladies pro USA - is being received in your part of the world. Great interest from the UK as obviously, we'll commence our summer league next year. Just feel ladies soccer is really on the cusp of something big. Would welcome feedback from anyone wanting to contribute to our chat show on www.soccerx.co.uk just write to hanna@soccerx.co.uk your thoughts .. ideas will be aired

23. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Good Idea Alejo! Better to have a supporters group in place to encourage the sport in SA.

24. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow that stadium rendering is sweet. Great design. But did I read that the village would be completed sometime around 2035? I'll probably be dead by then.

On another note, Alejo's idea about forming a supporters group or something would be a great way to show the city that yall mean business. It worked for Philly and could possibly work for SA.

I say this because SA needs a team badly. USL or MLS. USL would be more practical for the short term though.

We have barely started to discuss the idea of a Cup between Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio (pending). The Cannon Cup (mabye)
    The idea is based off of the Battle of Gonzales and the "Come and Take It" cannon and flag. Whoever wins will get the El Capitan cannon and the rights to the "Come and Take It" flag.

Currently only dallas and houston complete for the cannon.

The USL will lose Portland and Vancouver to the MLS, so more clubs will be needed in the USL. Its something to think about, and should be another reason to pressure your city into getting a club.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Shouldn't this thread be in USL forum?