Sam's Army vs American Outlaws?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by thethinwhiteduke, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tell you what..I'll start a third group...Sam's Outlaws...only a couple of requests to join...Stand & sing for the full 90 minutes...and no bitching & moaning about fellow US supporters..That is all :eek:

All joking aside..we will be running a US supporters group out of Nevada's..already spoke to Jack about this..ALL ARE WELCOME...so see ya this Sunday..

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jack also said that for the game in DC in october he would work with us to run busses down there!

3. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    This is a national team game. There is no "home turf" nor should/would you have a write to take down a vertical/banner. At least that's my opinion.

If it is a banner portraying their individual MLS club, that's another story.

4. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    Way to go!

5. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fo sure brother...this is open to ALL US SUPPORTERS

6. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're not understanding me. I was referring to the NIKE sponsored US SOCCER Don't tread on me Flag. Verticals typically are unsponsored let's say.

With regards to home turf, it has to do with the local supporters group. In this case Nike coming into the ESC's house and running a flag with out letting the appropriate people know. If they were informed then its a different story. Capito?

7. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it hug it out ..:D We have never had a beef with you guys. Half of our members were there with the ESC in da beginning [way back in the 90's when we watched games on Randalls Island] No hate on our part. One love..peace:eek:

8. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you better be careful, who your calling a pu$$y.

9. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The appropriate people were informed of the Don't Tread flag being there and coming out.

When Corey and I were bringing in the flags early, they asked us to have it up when the players entered the field, something we didn't exactly do.

And this banner is not a new thing, it was around in Hartford during the Send off Match back in 06 and we had it up in the section then too.

I didn't bring the flags because the game was in New Jersey....there are a certain number of flags that WE as US fans own and we coordinate with ourselves/US Soccer to get the flag/s to where they need to go. All the game being in NJ did was make it easier than usual for me to get the flags to the game.

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ha ha - not sure where the hate comes from man!

11. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we've been called that and more from your side..Its time for this shite to stop..its not doing anybody any good..I'm pretty bad with names..but I think I met ya on Saturday & sunday

12. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    GRONINGEN. This has nothing to do with the topic.

But I will touch points very, very quickly:

1. Why have you been called things? Just look at your "song list" and take a look at some of the songs directed at a certain club. It's obviously going to rile some feathers.

2. You met wgood on Saturday at Nevada's. He was there as were you, I, and others.

3. At this point, this thread should either be moved to MLS Rivalries or closed as it no longer satisfies its original purpose.

MOD?

13. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was in the begining when this group was started here is the list of songs:

Frank Sinatra's New York, New York

Start spreading the news
    I'm leaving today
    I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
    These vagabond shoes
    Are longing to stray
    And make a brand new start of it
    New York, New York
    I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
    To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
    These little town blues
    Are melting away
    I'll make a brand new start of it
    In old New York
    If I can make it there
    I'll make it anywhere
    It's up to you, New York, New York.

I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
    To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
    These little town blues
    Are melting away
    I'll make a brand new start of it
    In old New York
    If I can make it there
    I'll make it anywhere
    It's up to you, New York, New York.

To the tune of Hey Baby

HEEEEEEEEY FRED WILPON(OOH AH)
    I WANNA KNOOOOOOW
    WHEN WE'LL GET A TEAM

Tune Unknown

OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLA
    OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLA
    OOOOOOOOO NEW YORK CITY FC
    LA LA LA LA LA
    LA LA LA LA LA

To the tune of Beastie Boys' Open Letter to New York

Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten
    From the Battery to the top of Manhattan
    Asian, Middle-Eastern and Latin
    Black, White - New York you make it happen!

To the tune of Annie's It's a Hard Knock Life

It's the hard knock life for us
    It's the hard knock life for us!!
    Steada treated we get tricked
    Steada kisses we get kicked
    It's the hard knock life!!

(Saints go marching in tune) The first lines are shouted by one, and repeated by all

Oh When the Blues!
    (Oh when the blues!)
    Go marching in!
    (Go marching in!)
    Oh when the Blues go marching in,
    Oh lord i want; to be in that number,
    when the blues go marching in,

To the tune of The Entertainer

New York, New York, New York
    Its so good to be from New York
    There are no tolls to pay
    Just to watch us play
    Because our team is from New York

To the tune of Yellow Submarine

All we want is a New York Soccer Team,
    A new York Soccer Team
    A new York Soccer Team,
    The Borough Boys want a New York Soccer Team,
    a new York Soccer Team,
    a new York soccer team.

In the Town,
    Where we are from,
    lived a man,
    who was from Queens,
    Don Garber,
    Is his name,
    and what he wants,
    is a New York Soccer team.

But my point jay is everything was cool , until flip came on here and said we sang some song..NONE OF US KNOW..We didn't start this..How many threads have you had on your Metro site regarding us ? Enough ..you stop..and they'll be NO PROBLEMS..and here is one that will blow your mind..we'll be coming to the swamp in a few weeks..guess who we'll be cheering ???? Thats right the red bulls

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

14. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes this thread, should be closed..I agree..nothing more to say

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AO founders did initially offer up help organize stuff with SA and never got a reply so in frustration they started their own group. SA got too big for one person to manage but Marc never seemed to want to relinquish control so people could help so it's just died on the vine. I know Monty is working with some others to try to revive but there's a lot of people like me who are pissed off and frusted after years of nothing (I was actually on the SA elders list for a bit but I got kicked off because I was pushing to organize a trip to Mex City in 2001, the SEs ended up doing their own trip). I wish them well and will certainly stand amongst them at games but I'm not interested in being a member of a group that doesn't have any benefits (especially tix and hotel, SA used to handle this).

After meeting with the AO guys at MLS Cup this past fall I saw they are working towards the organizational stuff that SA lacks (and I'm an SE, hyper-organization is our specialty! ;)) so I really like we're they're heading but it is still a work in progress.

Putting together the logistics around these games isn't rocket science (and for a lot of us who've been involved with running our local MLS club it's no different than a regular MLS Saturday night) so no one needs to reinvent the wheel. Obviously each city will be different based on the level of support available on the ground so the challenge for AO and SA is to figure out key locals and then who will be handling what (tix, hotel, parties, tgate).

As far as in-stadium stuff, if there are readily identifiable AO/SA leaders that people can easily follow (drums and songs) I'm all for that vs letting the locals lead. I think consistency from stadium to stadium helps people learn the songs and promotes unified participation (and avoids the whole, well I'm not singing song X because it's done by our MLS rival). The challenge for AO and SA is to figure out who these section leaders should be and how people should find them to follow.

K

16. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga

Fair enough. This is an honest opinion, and I appreciate your candor. Sounds like we'll have a lot of conflict and churn for a while, and most of that is born out of frustration. If I were independently wealthy and could afford to do so, I'd love to coordinate and harness all this passion and energy into a cohesive, huge USA fan organization. But I'm not.

I just hope that all will focus on being a fan of the USMNT, and not dissolve into bitter and non-productive personal vendettas.

Said my piece.

17. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that what you see here how difference we are as a country. In some regions singing in spanish is a HUGE NO NO, but in NYC its really not a big deal. Like that, there are many more differences that came be highlighted. It also comes thru, in the way that each individial group of supporters decides to support/cheer/chant for the USMNT.

18. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I think this is the major point of tension between the ESC guys on here. I am not officially in the ESC (b/c I support DC United), but I have been to US games with this lot and games without.

There can be no question to the importance of the ESC in leading the section, creating the atmosphere and bringing the aguante (admittedly, I don't even know what that is).

Flip, despite all the silly back and forth on here in which he has engaged, has a skill at this that no one else has been able to approach.

As far as what happens in the parking lot . . . ehh . . . I'd rather be at a pub anyway.

19. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    This kind of just gets infused in you over time by being in the ESC. That continued push to make a better atmosphere each and every week. Moving on to the issue at hand and trying to keep it on topic.

I think this all comes back to the style/atmosphere we expect/experience on a regular basis.

Just looking around MLS, there are major differences between the U-Sector, ESC, Screaming Eagles, LA Riot Squad, Midnight Riders, and various other supporters groups. I'm not arguing one group has IT right over another, but the truth is each individual prefers a different type of thing.

The problem lies in the fact that members of all these groups get pushed into one section together at a US game.

One type of a person might not be used to or want to get used to another type of groups cheering style. Some folks don't want to do a Wipeout (I love it, but will the 55 year old guy 6 rows down be into it? I don't know). Some people don't want to jump, they rather sip a beer, sing a couple of chants, and watch the game.

Until the day comes where we can have separate sections: 1 for a no holds barred kind of jump, sing, dance, go crazy section, 1 more for a stand and sing section, and another for just US fans who want to watch, but not participate in chants, then this will continue to be a problem with no answer.

20. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that you are getting closer to the answer with this post. I was stating something similar in a prior post as well. The USA is composed of several different groups and each group brings its own unique style to the table when supporting the NT. The problem lies in accepting all these different styles and then fusing them into one UNIQUE american style. This could be something uniquely ours. Question is how ready to accept this are the supporters from other parts of the country?

21. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, why can't it happen now? (2 different sections, your third option is just the rest of the stadium). If the sections are defined on what is expected than people can chose which best suits them. I'm too short and too old to stand in the middle of a crazy scrum but I'm happy to stand and cheer the whole game (and wave flags or move overhead banners). I ended up near the back of 101 on Sun so I could see but I certainly could hear and follow along the chanting in front of me

K

22. Tonkdaddy14

Tonkdaddy14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It cant happen now because US Soccer is happy just to be selling tickets, although I could see this happening a few years down the road.

23. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i met you guys last weekend at nevadas. (i was the short fat black guy)

I personally have no problem with the bb's, i talked to you guys on satrurday and you all say you guys support rbny. you are just pushing for a team thats closer to each of you. i have no problems with that.

i think in the future the esc and bb's should coordinate when it comes to national team games. there's a game in october in dc. i know some esc members are going down. it would be nice if we could come together and get a bus together.

24. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what I've seen, the ESC is the most distinguished supporters group in the country, at least in terms of national team support. Period.

25. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea - i remember you - saturday night was a good night - we have extended an invite to Onion this weekend as we will be watching the Nats at Nevadas - we also invite all of you guys!

Also, Jack at Nevadas will help us out with busses down to RFK in October, I think we just all need to get by the stupid tension - like we talked about the other night.

We should go to RFK together - not as SA - not as AO - not as BB or ESC but as Supporters of the US Mens National Team!!!!