Sam's Army vs American Outlaws?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by thethinwhiteduke, Apr 22, 2008.

1. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with this, and I think Sam's Army has started this trend. However, one problem with the color red is that we don't have many jerseys that are red. Most of them are white or blue. The only red jersey we've had since 2000 is the DTOM Send Off Jersey, of which limited quantities were sold. Personally, I love wearing one of my jerseys to a match (I wore my 1994 USA "Stars" Jersey on Sunday), and I know a ton of people I saw there were wearing jerseys of their favorite players. If you notice the fans at Euro 2008, most of them are wearing jerseys in orange for the Dutch, or yellow for the Swedes and red for the Spanish. If the US came out with a red jersey, firstly, it would be the best selling soccer jersey of all time. I'm sure people like me will be snapping up 2-3 apiece. Secondly, I think that you will see more red that way since people will be wearing their jerseys to the game. It can be hard for some people to spend $70 on a new jersey only to have people discourage them from wearing to the game because it's not red. They're going to wear that new jersey with pride, and just because it's red doesn't make them any less of a USA fan.

Here's my suggestion: coordinate with those endzone sections to have a sea of red, white and blue. I am perfectly fine with anyone who wears these colors to the game. But what you can do is coordinate the sections to see that the majority of that section wears a certain color. Sam's Army can keep their section in red. American Outlaws usually wear blue in their section, and from what I could tell they were right next to Sam's Army. Just coordinate another section to wear white. I think that by incorporating all these colors, not only will it look cool, but you will encourage more people to wear these colors. Many people here have the opinion that if you don't wear red to the game, you're not a true fan. I don't feel that's the case. The red, the white and the blue in our nation's flag all have historical, symbolic importance. The white stands for purity and innocence, the red stands for valor and hardiness, and the blue represents justice, perseverance and vigilance. The stars, besides representing the 50 states of the union, represents the heavens and all the good that people strive for, and the stripes, besides representing the original 13 colonies, stands for the sun's rays (Source; I also learned this in most of my history classes growing up). I feel it would be truly special to see all of these colors in the stands, not just one of them.

So, for those that want to wear red, go right ahead. If you want to wear blue, do what you do. If you wear white, that's quite alright. However, we can definitely coordinate the endzone sections (hell, all the USA sections if we wish) to make it a sea of red, white and blue for every USA game. Most importantly, I think you will see much more participation, which will in turn kick the enthusiasm up as well.

2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Finally some brings a little reason and logic to the boards regarding this issue. Thank you.

3. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    You guys really got to ask yourself if this kind of debate is happening in any other country......think about it ( talking about original topic)

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm Argentinian, and in Argentina this debate really doesn't exist. Over there it's not what you wear to the game but rather how you bring the noise!

5. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    Exactly my point,
    cheers pal

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't either but you can very weel see difference in support.

I was talking specifically Europe. Argentina has similar mentality to Croatia where you fly several hundred guys from club barras to WC, they mix with several thousand local Argies and then own other side cos they have strong nucleus to lead. Croatia is same way, you get several thousand guys from our ultras groups, mix in 10k or 20k regular clowns and noone comes close. We don't have anything resembeling national team group, just truce.

I'm talking about sides like Dutch or Austria or France where every group is boycottin so their club scene is good but national side looks like circus.

7. US Allen 23

US Allen 23 Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am proposing yet a new group for US Supporters to consider.

Unassociated Supporters of US Soccer (USUSS)

We will:
    Attend every possible game (especially against Mexico).
    Stand in the Supporters end of the stadium.
    Sing and chant for as long as we possibly can.
    Watch every game that we cannot attend on TV.
    Bring new people to every game we attend.
    Wear red, white or blue, as long as it is in support of the Nats.
    Befriend anyone wearing the US Soccer crest.
    Assist SA and OA when the US plays in our hometown.
    Meet and after before games at Pubs and/or Tailgates.

We Will Not:
    Wear our club colors, while supporting the US.
    Throw any object on the field, other than streamers.
    Perform any act that embarrasses the US or our fellow supporters.
    Tolerate racial comments or acts.
    Have an issue with SA, OA or any other group who supports the US.

Membership:
    No fees or actual membership will be accepted.
    Is open to anyone who loves our team and our country
    Members are encouraged to join any or none of the other supporters groups.
    Meetings and coordination will be held on BigSoccer.com.

Goals:
    Support our boys, while they represent us.
    Finally establish a “Home field advantage” when we play on US soil
    Broaden the awareness of the US National Team

Note: While being mostly sarcastic, this is how I support the US team. I am sure that everyone could add a few other comments, but I think in the end we all have the same goals and just cannot agree on how to achieve them.

-G-

8. helpmenow

helpmenow New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    san diego
  9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the groups do this already, the problem is there is no strong central authority and alternatively no organized and effective charter structure nationally to assist in promoting and running the organization.

SA should have a group of dedicated central leaders with set roles and responsibilities, and they should have a command structure of local brigades who are in direct and constant contact with the central command and the other brigade commanders.

Clear and concise rules and regulations should be established with respect to operating the sections on match day as well as organization of events. The central command needs to be more aggressive with USSF for matches and be more of an influence in their policies.

Right now the SA is running blind. There many 2-3 people involved, no clear command strucutre, no agenda, and little national organization from the local chapters.

SA needs to be run like a real army. Organized and Mobilized.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is basically what I'm trying to help coordinate with the hours of free time I have. :(

11. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you man, but i think it is something that requires more than one man's honest work.

But its a positive sign that someone is working on these things, hopefully more will follow your lead.

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agreed - something as big as Sams ARmy can be - in this large land - requires help from more than one person

Patsfan - best of luck - I hope it goes well but let anyone of us know what we can do to help!

13. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are there already established Sam's Army brigades? Also, where are the American Outlaw chapters? I know of a brigade in SoCal and in NJ, but that's about it. I think that would open eyes as to where brigades/chapters can be formed and where existing ones are that people can join.

14. BACKSTICK

BACKSTICK New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Anyone know where to locate the USA Men @ Azteca Thread? Maybe I'm goin blind?

That's what its all about

15. FCDallasAddie

FCDallasAddie Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. FCDallasAddie

FCDallasAddie Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a little soon I think but yeah everyone is really siked! Give it some time and Im sure all the info will be posted when gathered!

17. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no Sam's Army Brigade in NJ. The North Jersey Brigade (NJB) is a separate organization.

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah I see, thanks for the clarification

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Wh'eres the NYC Brigade ?

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in the middle of 101 that Sunday where it normally is. You shoulda gone, dummy!

21. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Aren't you in it?

22. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think there is an official one.

There is ESC-NYC and NJB in this region, neither are registarted SA charter brigades to my knowledge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhh...the Azteca.

This time around, I think we'll have more flags to bring. Not sure about a drum.

24. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Sparta Firm (NJ) has already created a nice new banner for the cause. We have a couple other ideas I would like to see come into fruition. In particular, a spoof on Washington crossing the Delaware.

25. JogaUsa

JogaUsa New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Im not new, been on this site a while, just changed my name.

Anyways, I have never been to a USA game, but plan on making it to the World Cup in 2010 in South Africa. I am still deciding who to join, either Sams Army, or American Outlaws. This thread has helped my immensely, as much as bigsoccer has. I never knew about the Outlaws, and I was gonna join Sams Army, before my journey, but this thread has showed me that Sams Army has kinda lost it's swagger I guess. I bet still manty people cheer, etc, but it seems the orginization isnt there. So if I choose to join one before I leave to go, I think it will be American Outlaws.