Sampson to Argentina

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Dec 1, 2004.

1. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    It has more exposure, but the thing is Mexican clubs are not always that quick to sell their players for cheap, so Euro teams dealing with them arent paying the lower prices they can pay by going to River or Boca. And Im not talking about the 1 or 2 players that leave Boca or River for $20M but just the solid player who they can get for $2 or $3M.

Also since FMF pays well many FMF national teamers(and forigners) dont feel the need to go to Europe as much as they can stay home(or close to), play at a competitive level, and still be on the National team. Im sure if Real came knocking they would go, but its not like they are leaving for the first Euro club that comes knocking, like in MLS.

So thats why you may not see the FMF being a much more talent exporting league than others. And may think not many people are paying attention because of it.

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Uruguay? (and this is for all MLS coaches.....) Danubio won the championship by being by far the best team all year (Jan-Dec.), winning the Apertura, Clausura (or whatever they are called) plus the final..... And they had lots of youngsters in their team

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Usually the good Uruaguyan players go to Argentina, but if they are lucky they go straight to Europe. The way it works is...

Peru
    Ecuador
    Venezuela
    Bolivia
    Paraguay

Feed
    Chile
    Colombia
    Uruguay

Who then feed
    Brasil
    Argentina

Who then feed
    Anyone else out of Conmebol

You can dip into the lower leagues and find good talent(alot of people do), but it takes more of an eye and patitence which the middle clubs and Arg and Brasil have. Like going from High School to College then Pros. The 2 top Conmebol countries are like college where they are going to prepare the players for the bigger stage. IF you go directly to the bottom, then be prepared for a high percentage of failures and disappointments before you find that gem.

And look we arent the first one to say, "Hey lets look at X small country" Everyone and their mothers are scounting.

4. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    I wouldn't assert the following really proves anything long term, but from the standpoint of visable Euro names from North America.....

The only prior MFL player I hear about much is Rafael Marques (on the greatest team in the world!). There is Camoranesi, on one of the other rather great teams, but does he really count? He was born in Argentina, played at Cruz Azul for a while, and is officially Italian.

Despite his current situation, Tim Howard was arguably the best keeper in England last year, there were two other outstanding keepers there, plus the two USAians at Fulham.

You will see more individuals from the USA if you follow plenty of Euro football. So I guess you an say Europeans get more exposure to American players...but I guess you could as easily say "so what?"

5. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Ailton played in the MFL.

6. the best keeper last year was undoubtedly van der sar

7. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    MLS hiring policies are live proof that stupidity still alive here in USA, I hope that we do not have to live to regret all this decision....And here is the question of the day ....How can MLS develop soccer for the american fans with so many foreign players ? For soccer sake people, for every old burn out player that MLS hire one potential soccer start is left on the starting line with out a chance .....A more wise decision for steve sampson could be attent coaching school in southamerica......

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What about if we bring them all and fire all the americans ....That sound as a plan or perhaps even better we could bring the referee that give the USA /ARGENTINA game to the ARGENTINIAN (champions my bass) during the U 17 CHAMPIONSHIP to referee for MLS, I bet you he could help Sampson to win games ... oh they are where sooooo good.... if you do not belive me I have the game on tape :rolleyes:

9. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Did Argentina have him on the USA/ARGENTINA game on the last U17 champioship? The best Argentinian player was the referee he won the game alone for Argentina (champions my ..sss) :eek:

10. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    South American Talent?????? Every foreign player on MLS have never been beyond the average after its second year, :confused: that include LOTHAR million buckMATHAUS .....

11. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Whip it took you 3 post to end your rant.... And you accomplished you know little.

1- GIOVANNI HERNANDEZ IS COLOMBIANNNNNNNNN!!!

2- Argentina beat the US at the U 20's.. NOT U 17. GET OVER IT! IT'S A YOUTH GAME...

3- And MLS cannot afford the services of a OLD Ruben Capria let alone ALL of River's talent....

The forgien players in MLS when chosen wisely have been GREAT BOOST for MLS teams... TODAY the crop is average at best but there are some very talented players... I doubt players from abroad hurt American player development... The American player out numbers the foreginer in MLS by at least 4 to 1.

12. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just concurring here that the FMF teams pay VERY well, in fact one of the top leagues as far as salaries go. Add to that fact that there is no appreciable language barrier (yeah yeah insert joke that Mexicans don't speak Spanish here), there is usually only slight cultural shock to go through vs. the huge culture shock of going to Europe, and you get the Mexican hotties for groupies plus a lot of exposure back home and you see why players dont' usually leave Mexico.

For most players in SA, I would imagine Mexico is just as much as an ultimate destination as Italy, Germany, Spain or England. Certainly on par with what a lot of Americans probably think of with the EPL.

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:
    I don't quite follow you here.... I guess it's never too many foreigners IF we have "weeded out" those who never adapted or were too old for the league, we kept most of those who performed well, while adding up other foreigners that will potentially adapt to the league/help their teams a lot more than those who left due to sucking...

Or, say in the case of Nelsen, DC must make a choice or someone who for them will fill in the void...Or for my Metro, when SGR hopefully gets out, we need someone to fill that void.....hard to find a great American goal scorer who is available, so there is nt much choice there......

14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pyramid you built is not as consistent as that.. i'm sure you know it does not always work this way... Surely Mexico is somewhere in that list, but yet they've loaded themselves a lot lately with SA talent....

All i'd say is that even Euro Leagues and Mexican clubs cannot take away all the prospects... uruguay has had lots of trouble paying their players, and i'm talking about clubs like Nacional or Pe~arol, teams with so much tradition and power one would think they could at least avoid owing their players cash.....

So MLS would technically have a chance to step in and take some nice (not great, but good) players from leagues like Uruguay's

15. lol

Geovanni Hernandez was top scorer in 2003 confed cup and top socoring midfield in argentine league this year

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no he wasnt

17. yes he was now leave you islly peruvian you know nothing go back to your medicore peruvian teams who cant even get into the qaurter of the libertadores :D

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no he wasnt henry was the highest scorer in the confed cup

19. no sorry henry only socerd 2 goals and one by penalty

top scorers were giovanni with 4 goals and tuncay with 4

20. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia.

Can you be anymore of a pain in the butt? Damn...

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually if you go to the "beautiful game" forum you can see Ilovecolombia in all his/her splendor... :)