Sampson to Argentina

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Dec 1, 2004.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Soccer365.com

Steve sampson will head a trip to Argentina and Brazil in search for new talent for the Galaxy. Sampsons first stop will be the famed River Plate, where during Dec 1 to Dec 6 he will scout talent.. And will also go to Sao Pablo to scout...

Who in River Plate is in MLS price range, a loan deal to get the very talented Daniel Luduena would be a great move for MLS... Fernando Crosa, a defender is experencied and sees limited action with River. Aside from that River is very keen on keeping there young players. This may not sound crazy, but with his recent fall in form and growing production of Jose Sand, Maxi Lopez, and Gata fernandez, Marcelo Salas could be loaned to the Galaxy if MLS can get a three way deal with River, Juventus, and MLS... Colombian Jario Patino is in all accounts a River Plate bust and would most likely be the first player from the 1st team to get put up for sale...

2. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    River has a good group of youngsters... I just wonder who could MLS afford to pay a transfer fee for...

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Argentinian teams are having massive financial problems. Look at Tevez, probably the brightest young stud in the league right now, and he is going to leave for a Brazilian club....from Boca Jrs. The entire Argentinian economy is in shambles.....many good players want to leave for a more stable, and much safer, environment. I think MLS can and should take advantage of this situation.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But those players want to play at a high competitive level, some may not think MLS is that, so some may want to stay in Argy-Land and risk it.

5. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mario! I jumped to two conlusions right before you answered them. First- Sampson's going to Argentina for a coaching job. Second: Who from River Plate could MLS afford?

The Galaxy is losing two or three of its highest paid players for next season, so I hope we see at least one game breaker from River Plate and one from somewhere else. River Plate has decent support in L.A. They played Chivas there not long ago, and probably 7-10,000 supporters were there.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Absolutely.....and I didn't state that EVERY player would want to come to MLS. But as things worsen in Argentina leagues like MLS become more and more attractive to some of the second tier players.....players that would be immediate starters in MLS.

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tevez is leaving argentina because he had a DISASTEROUS SEASON in which the clubs intrested in him dropped the transfer fee. He going to brasil because A- he feels that the press in argentina is doing him wrong, how could that be??? he is still hailed as a god, LOL, and 2- 18 million is what Corinthias is paying. 18 Million. Is money NO team in Argentina or in most parts of the world walk away from...

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    True, but you have to agree, the Argie financial situation is very difficult, making other leagues (previously thought to be off limits) more attractive to some players.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In an interview, Christian Gomez was asked what he thought of MLS. He said one or two things about style ("more physical than I thought,") and ended with, the checks come on time.

FYI.

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the bad news for LAG fans is that Sampson plans to come back to the US.

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    LOL!

12. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I was just about to say the samething. Sampson will use Gomez's words as part of his pitch.

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our league is Thuggish Ruggish?
    [​IMG]

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :eek: You're saying that a player is looking for a stable and safe environment, so he's going to Brazil ? Holy crap things must be bad in Argentina!

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I remembered once a Colombian guy played for MetroStars asked the cash after the game. Taking him 15 days to understand you do get the check you are promised to get. :eek:

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Actually, that was John Wilmar Perez of the Crew, IIRC.

The economic situation in Argentina is better than it was 2 years ago. They're keeping the Colombians in the league now, and some Argies are coming back from Russia, where Cavenaghi went for bucks.

Players on my MLS wish list from the Argentine league?

--Sosa of Estudiantes
    --Romagnioli of San Lorenzo
    --Zarate of Velez (but Toluca's already got an eye on him--too rich for our blood, then)
    --Colombian Giovanni Hernandez of Colon de Santa Fe (also too much $$, I bet)

3 of these 4 are young midfield playmakers--something MLS desperately needs (no offense, Kyle Martino, but you're not in the same ballpark).

We don't need more Herzogs or Limpars, we need young-er skilled guys like Gomez and Amado Guevara--the type the US just isn't producing (Landon Donovan being an animal entirely unto himself).

17. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to disappoint you. Leandro may be at River come next year, or in Serie A.

18. NitrousOxide

NitrousOxide New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Serravale San Marino
    One factor here is not being considered, Mexico. All south american players will go to mexico before coming to Mls, as it pays alot more, has more exposure, participates in the Libertadores, sudamericana and is a more competitive league in general. So the only south americans that would come to Mls are the ones not good enough for Europe and rejected by both South American and mexican clubs. meaning the rest of the rest.

19. geovanni is way too good for mls lollolololololol

hes the best midfielder in sotuh america and argentina

20. FCDarkness

FCDarkness New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Steelton, PA
    Ever hear of Marco Etcheverry? He played here and, as I understand, was pretty good. There was also that Columbian guy with the crazy hair, some legendary playmaker or another.

21. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hernandez is NOT the best player in South America, maybe you heard of a kid from Brazil named Ronaldhino Gaucho???? he plays in Barcelona of Spain.

And by far this might have been Hernandez's best year in Argentine football, but the best in argentina??? NO WAY!!! You don't become the best because you FINALLY deliver for your team, it took Hernandez 1 1/2 to finally play well....

22. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El mono he said IN South America, Goucho is in Spain at the moment.

23. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Etcheverry sucked ass when you compared him to other South American talent. He did good in MLS but was pretty average at best with the type of people being talked about in this thread. And Valderrama was on the last legs of his career when he came here, its amazing he lasted as long as he did.

24. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Are you aware of how much Corinthians paid for Tevez? He didn't necessarily go at a 'bargain' price.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder...over the last 3-4 years, which league has a better record of developing players for Europe? Because we (mostly) follow the EPL and BL much more than Spain and Italy, we're more aware of all the MLSers making it. I wonder if the MFL really has more exposure.