Sampdoria 2008-09 [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by dor02, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Palombo really dictates the play so that's a huge blow for Mazzarri. Now he's out, he might as well place Delvecchio in the midfield and start playing either Bonazzoli or Fornaroli.

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    He should've been playing Bonazzoli for a while now. I still don't understand why he waited till the 87th minute to introduce him into the match against Juve. Delvecchio is honestly absolutely useless as a striker.

3. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, Cassano's back kick pass on the line showed a lot of confidence against Juventus.

Impressed with how he is handling expectations.

4. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Confidence is one thing Cassano doesn't lack. What he does lack though is a partner up front that can match his quality and finish the opportunities that he creates.

I have however been very impressed with young Bruno Foraroli though, who just happened to score again today in UEFA cup action. It's too bad he's not Italian :p

5. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the updates. I am learning a lot about the team, but Cassano is impressing much indeed.

I saw him play once or twice for Real Madrid, and I don't know who that player was. I have to learn the rest of the team when I have time.

What is the news about buying the stadium in Genoa?

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fornaroli and Bonazzoli have done well in the UEFA Cup matches but now they have to be used in the league.

Unfortunately, it looks like that Mazzarri will stick to 3-5-1-1 for the Atalanta, according to La Gazzetta. Dessena will be starting in midfield by the look of things. With Bellucci back, he has to be brought on. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start Fornaroli though. I'd give him a go now.

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sampdoria face Bologna this weekend. Despite our run in the UEFA Cup so far, we are currently winless in Serie A. Bologna steps up against big sides but we aren't a Milan and we aren't having a great start like Lazio. Our first win of the season is likely but Mazzarri has to start Bellucci or Bonazzoli.

La Gazzetta think that Mazzarri will play a 3-5-1-1 but with Bellucci and Cassano there, Mazzarri is better off with a front two. Here's the potential starting line-up:

Castellazzi 1

Accardi 5 Gastaldello 28 Bottinelli 14

Padalino 20 Delvecchio 40 Sammarco 21 Franceschini 19 Pieri 46

Bellucci 11

Cassano 99

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Finally a win! 2-0 against Bologna and with some quality goals too.

We pretty much dominated this game. Cassano was great coming from the right wing. He was able to find players on the wings or down the middle and play some great passes. Delvecchio's goal was an awesome free-kick and Bellucci's angled drive came from a Cassano through-ball.

[youtube]WwhRaewOAq0[/youtube]

9. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

They still need to do a better job at finishing the chances that Cassano creates though. This match should've easily finished at least 4-0 for Sampdoria.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True. If only Pieri was like Maggio, we could have gone 1-0 up earlier in the match. Hopefully Bellucci's fitness can improve.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sampdoria drew 1-1 with Stuttgart in the UEFA Cup thanks to a Sammarco goal. Now i doriani are second in their group but they have played a game less than the German side.

Cagliari will be Sampdoria's next opponents in Serie A after winning 3-2 against Lecce and 3-0 against Catania. Bellucci's return has been vital and Cassano has been in great form too. This game should be great battle between Cassano and Acquafresca as both forwards provide the main ingrediant for each side.

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After a shit week with 3 losses, we beat Reggina 2-0 in Calabria and in the UEFA Cup Sevilla 1-0 at home. Can't believe Bottinelli out of all people scored! We'll face Metalist in the next round.

On Sunday, i doriani will face Fiorentina. Not an easy match but Lucchini and co have to minimise the impact of Mutu and Gila.

13. Rocco1313

Rocco1313 Member

May 14, 2008
    NY
    What kind of season has Dessena had? Don't get much chance to see Sampdoria play.

Also why hasn't Fornaroli played much?

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So so. He's mostly on the bench.

Fornaroli is young player but Mazzarri is relying too much on Bellucci anyway.

15. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Wow... Fantastic young player. I wanted him for us.

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He'll add some depth in defence. We've had our troubles with injuries in that department. Hopefully we can get a decent striker because we can't rely on Bellucci to score goals.

17. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Pazzini is in!
    That was the missing piece Samp so desperately needed, someone to turn Cassano's magic into goals.
    Samp is going to wreak some havoc in Serie A for the rest of the season.

18. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    He'll work hard and is an excellent team player. He simply could not find the back of the net for us, though he did the other things very well.

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The potential is there. I'm not going to guarantee anything yet but like last year, our second half of the season can be better than the first.

20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Just like Gilardino at Milan, and look how his move to Fiorentina turned out...
    I hope and expect Pazzini's move to Samp will carry Gila's revival pixie dust with him.

21. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    any video on this past game against inter?:confused:

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mWxoUw3SCm8"]YouTube - Inter-Sampdoria 1-0 CONTRO CAMPO Sintesi 20a Giornata highlights 25/01/09[/ame]

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sampdoria 3-1 Lazio (Cassano had his best game this season):

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ahrNuZBCGfs"]YouTube - SAMPDORIA LAZIO 3-1 AMPIA SINTESI 21 GIORNATA HIGHLIGHTS 28/01/09[/ame]

We will face Chievo in Verona this weekend. They're missing Marcolini, Pinzi and Mandelli but they haven't been doing too bad recently. Dessena is out and Ziegler is in but Pazzini returns.

24. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I'm interested to see what kind of partnership Pazzini and Cassano develop. Pazzini does good work in holding the ball up and laying it off to an onrushing attacker. Good at heading it down to guys, too.