Sammy Ochoa?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by csctn, Dec 5, 2005.

1. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big deal....but whatever happened with Sammy Ochoa?
    He was supposed to be out of contract with Tecos right before or after the WYC.
    Just wondering, he seemed like a decent player that might some day have just as good a chance as any other to be a great player.

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.tecos.com.mx/B0506/26a.htm
    [​IMG]

He is still at Tecos and has a first team #. Other than that we are going to need a spanish speaking friend to see if he has played any first team games. He should be around when the new u23 team starts to get together.

3. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He is with the first team, but he didn't play this season. He will probably played next season.

4. Beck11

Beck11 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Nashville/Knoxville
    I thought I remembered he was knocking at the door to first team futbol. Have you heard why he got no games? Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Question is: Would he be better off playing regular matches in MLS?

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    He is with Tecos, and he's been playing with Tecoman, the B team of Tecos in Second Division. He's scored 6 goals in 12 games.

7. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    He'd be getting slightly less time than Chad Barrett or Jamie Watson imo, so it's a bit of a toss up as to where would be better for him. He'd definitley have to fight for his time in MLS even if he is better than them.

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    According to the Tecos site, he scored 6 goals in 12 games in the 2005 Clausura, which is the first half of this year. I haven't seen numbers for the current 2005 Apertura, but on the front page of the Tecos site, he's mentioned as one of the scorers in the first round of the playoffs. Tecomán is currently in the final eight (there are 68 teams at the 3rd level).

9. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
  10. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Side question: Was that his brother highlighted on the FIFA homepage the other day (Mexico keeper) or just a different Ochoa?

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So is he technically under contract w/Tecos and on loan to Tecoman? Or is Tecoman just like playing for Tecos' reserves?

12. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    Looks like Tecoman is the reserve team.

13. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    If you're talking about Memo Ochoa then that is NOT Guillermo Ochoa's brother. But I do believe (just going from my own memory) that Sammy Ochoa and Jesus Ochoa from Chivas USA are brothers.

Ochoa is a fairly common last name.

14. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, it's Guillermo Ochoa in the article. He plays for the club America in the Mexican League.

15. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    After the U20 WC I was looking forward to watch him play, even if it was only a few minutes, but that didn't happen. Still he was on Tecos bench for a number of matches.

Apparently the thing with him is just a question of pecking order, at offense there was a group of "starters" with players such as Daniel Ludueña, Juan Pablo Rodriguez, Eduardo Lillingston and Eliomar Marcon, then there was a second group with the "first reserves" with experienced and expensive players such as Nelson Pinto, Carlos Morales and Castillo, and finally there was the "second reserve" with players as Garay and Ochoa, now the thing is that for Ochoa it was pretty hard to play considering all those players above him, many of those players with conditions to play forward-midfielder, just like him.

For the next tournament Ochoa might aspire to get some first division action considering some of those players are gone and that Ochoa can help the club to fulfill a rule to play U21 year old players, although last tournament the same rule didn't help Ochoa since there's a couple young players like him that are already considered starters by the coach, still some coaches like to play more than one U21 players at the same time to fulfill the rule faster, and there's an oportunity for Ochoa, there's also the fact that Tecos might have at least an offensive players called for the WC and there's another chance for Ochoa, all that considered, I'll be surprised if he doesn't make his First Division debut next tournament with Tecos.

Now as for the question of Francisco Guillermo Ochoa the goalie of America and Samuel Ochoa, no, there's no relationship between them, as someone posted before Ochoa is a common last name in Mexico. Still he does have some brothers playing football, as posted before one of them with Chivas USA, and his other two brothers are younger than him and to my knowledge only playing amateur football in California.

16. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    They are brothers...

Sammy Ochoa and Jesus Ochoa...Jesus is the older brother.

17. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey, that's progress.

Here's hoping it's the first of many first-team appearances.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Maybe a mod should move this to YA.

20. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If Mexico's youth players rule stays in effect, he's got a good chance.

The rule is that a team needs to give U-21 players a minimum of roughly 5% of its minutes (which equates to one U-21 player on the field half the time). Because the age cutoff is August 1st, Ochoa counts as a U-21 in both 06-07 and 07-08. This should give him a good chance to establish himself.

21. bob26

bob26 New Member

Feb 24, 2006

for the current 2005 apertura he had 16 goals in the season. tecos play chicago fire on the 28 in sayula and sammy is going to play

22. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    16 goals in a half-season? Damn ... no wonder they're moving him up.

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Sweeeeeeeet.

24. terrible15

terrible15 Big Soccer Hall of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    long beach, ca

I thought he was related to Carlos Ochoa but I guess i was wrong...

25. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    His younger brother Norberto was with the US Under-16s or 15s or something, one of the two. Him and another Ochoa brother, I think Armando but not sure, play at Riverside Poly HS.