Same old Benfica...........

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by jp77, Aug 11, 2002.

1. jp77

jp77 New Member

Apr 18, 2002
    USA- CT
    Watching the game against Celta Vigo yesterday, It's the same old Benfica. Even with all the additions, they still don't have a distinctive style of play. There were a lot of defensive lapses and team just looked out of sync. It's been like this for a couple years now. Jesualdo Ferreira has to change his style of play.

In my opinion, FC Porto will win the league hands down. Sporting is weaker without Jardel, Viana and Joao Pinto (for a couple weeks), Boavista will hang in there because Pacheco has a good system there. Benfica will fade away.

With the additions of Peixoto and Derlei, plus Mourinho now will have a full season under his belt, Porto has the best style of play and will progress far in the UEFA CUP, as well as win the League

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    JP,

I can't disagree with your analysis. The only thing that I would offer though is that Benfica is just beginning to put all of its pieces in place -- Petit, Nuno, Simao, et. al. Once these guys start to develop a rhythm and understanding of how to play with each other, then Benfica could be dangerous. Until then, I agree that Porto looks like it will be starting the season playing very well.

3. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I agree with you to a certain point, but I beleive once Benfica gets more games under there belt, they will be a force to recon with.