Clinging and Climbing: Sam Vines at Royal Antwerp

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Same started solidly if not conservatively, hit the inevitable new bot rough patch, but IMHO played well today overall. Much more involved going forward, really tidy with the ball. Can’t always say this but the Sam I saw today was much improved, more aggressive going forward and a bit more cultured. Here is hoping it wasn’t one off and continues.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His team are in the “Championship” group of the play-offs.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Sam went 90 in a 1-0 loss to Brugge in Belgian playoffs. A lot of out second tier guys seem to be getting a lot of minutes recently for some decent teams.
    Vines, LDLT, EPB, McKenzie. Haji scoring. BA has come back for RB. Cannon a regular at Boavista. We like our stars and young hopefuls but there are some youngish guys getting stuff done.
    If Richie L can come back on the path he was at PSV, and Basset can worm his way into more time at Frood that‘s pretty good.

No?

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is reason to be optimistic. Heck, seems like it was just a couple of years ago where we only had a couple of YAs getting minutes. There were weekends where our guys sat and there were no games to watch. Now we complain when only 10 play and no one scores. I also like the way our guys are developing domestically with a ton of teen yanks playing in the MLS. We still need to develop better goal scorers but it is a process.

6. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    …….and goalkeepers.

7. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Went 70 against Union St. Gilloise (probably mis spelled). Was playing left back and subbed off for a striker. Looked OK. Really relies on his speed.

edcrocker repped this.
  8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I completely agree, we’re spoiled now compared to what things were like 5 years ago. Before Pulisic broke through we were in the dark ages of YA.

The Irish Rover and gjackson2207 repped this.
  9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Looked to be a LWB role in a 3-5-2 / 5-3-2. Covered a ton of ground in both directions. I think he was too indecisive in attack - a few times he got himself into a 1 v 1 and came to a complete stop hoping to break the defender down that way. Didn't work.

Came off as part of a formation switch as they brought on more attack. Also didn't work, but the sub wasn't because Vines was ineffective.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  10. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I concur. It was clearly a tactical sub.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

edcrocker repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Rough day for Vines and his teammates.

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Vines was the lowest rated player on the pitch in a 4-0 loss. I can't bring myself to watch the tape.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to watch the first half. I think it ended 0-1. There was very little mention of Vines except when he found himself in the box somehow and Nainggolan sent him a pass. Vines had no idea what to do and lost the ball.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  17. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Can someone give me the scouting report on Sam Vines? Aside from his fabulous name, of course, what does he bring to the table? What does he still need to work on? I didn't see him a ton coming up through the US youth ranks - and haven't watched his Belgian club team. Curious what he brings.

edcrocker repped this.
  18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    He's starting today against Anderlecht, so with an ESPN+ subscription, you can watch yourself.

He's not super athletic, but does have some quick feet. Left back pretty competent on defense and likes to go forward aggressively, either as the LB of a four man line or LWB in a 3-5-2 5-3-2 type formation. Good as passing and moving to space afterward, can hit an OK cross, plays hard. Doesn't foul a ton. No elite traits - not an awesome athlete or super skilled, and sometimes feels like he's chasing the game more than one would like. Doesn't have the ceiling of the top other Euro-based LBs, to my eyes.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    From the (very) little I've seen of him, he's a pretty good pure LB at Jupiler top third level. I didn't see anything that would make the likes of Brugge or a Ligue 1/BL1 side pay a transfer fee for him. On a free transfer? Maybe. Then again, maybe not.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker repped this.
  21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Played LWB in a 3-5-2, coming in for de Laet, whom the announcers raved about. Vines came in right after they went down 3-1, but the day was really about Club Brugge nearly clinching the title. Give Otasowie the trophy now?

22. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started friendly:

Out at the "half":

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  24. BostonRed