Sam Allardyce: Interesting situation. Possible US coach when the dust settles?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bostonsoccermdl, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5360700.stm

Although this is still unsubstantiated, some are saying he will be involved in lawsuits regarding the whole situation, and will be too distracted to manage Bolton effectively due to the timing of the issue. In other words, be forced to resign, even if found innocent.

We have tossed he name around b/4 as a possible candidate, but hadn't really considered it since things were seemingly fine for him at Bolton. If he does leave Bolton, would we want him, or would the ethical issues have the USSF stear clear?

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

2. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    Although I can't think of any antecedents of good ethics, I can't imagine USSF even considering someone mixed up in scandal

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    For some reason I have a hard time picturing Big Sam running the show for the US Men. It's just literally hard for me to imagine it.

4. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have mixed emotions on this one. Part of me is wary, yet SVE also has a history of shady behavior (secretly looking for new work while under contract with another National team, etc.) Many top coaches push the limits of ethics/legality in order to gain an edge.

I am at the point where I am willing to look past somethign like this if we could get Allardyce over here to coach. Plus, if this does prove to be his downfall as a coach in the EPL, he would probably want to/be forced to get a fresh start.

Where better than over here, where he wouldnt be under the spotlight, and could concentrate on coaching without all the press, etc.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way have you ever watched Bolton play? Route One old school football.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    exactly. Even in England he is considered to play crude soccer. No thanks.

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Compared to MLS, Bolton play total football.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    No, thanks.

We don't accept those sorts like Allardyce accused of tapping someone's bung.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    One word:
    Greece.

Bruce tried to play 4-5-1 Old school bunker style in WC and it failed.

Heck yeah we look nice against some Concacaf teams and Scotland, but that aint going to work against top teams.

Besides, Bolton occasionally play some nice ball.

BTW I am not saying Big Sam should be next Manager.

I have no idea who should be next manager.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What, Christoph Daum isn't available???

Oh, wait, he is ...

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    nonsense. most teams in mls do not play route 1.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He knows that. He's a troll. And what do we do to trolls, boys and girls?

13. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the interest of brevity, I'm going to start a thread listing everyone NOT linked to or suggested for the US job. I think the only one on the list will be the guy who played the coach in Goal!

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number of candidates linked to the US job in 2010

vs

Number of players linked to Perugia in 2002-03

Which one's higher?

15. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Well, with the United Nations approach he has brought to the Bolton line-up, perhaps he can help USSF attract Rossi back to the fold.

**ducks under desk**

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just remember, you hire someone who is known for ethical lapses, you deserve whatever you get

17. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This is true and I have mixed feelings on this as it exists as a grey area in book. SVE isnt the most ethical coach out there either (looking for better work while still in contract, throwing his players under the bus in a secret interview.)

Some of the other most successfull coaches (Moreino) are always on the verge of being found guilty of "tapping up" players from other teams. It is a fine line.

If Allardyce could come here and do a good job for our team, I am willing to overlook all of this current controversy.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hey, if you're looking for a coach with ethical lapses, try Christoph Daum. The guy is a proven winner (unless you count Bundesliga titles) and one of the best in the game. (though he probably won't be able to get the US visa)

19. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    For a start, Allardyce is guilty of NOTHING. He's been given the Michael Moore treatment by the Bolton-hating BBC.

Secondly, Allardyce excels at getting relatively sub-standard players to form a team that's better than the sum of the parts. This would suit America down to the ground.

20. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree (I am a Bolton fan so what can I say). Looking at Bolton's squad you would think this team has no business challenging for European spots .. but there we are a couple years running, going after UEFA cup spots.

In terms of the style of soccer, you can call it negative soccer but all I care about is if its winning soccer, and Big Sam's got the track record in that regard.

I think US would play a lot better with Allardyce at helm, but my concern would be development of youth. Its a major need in our program. '

If I had the choice between Allardyce and Klinsmann, I'd pick Allardyce.
    If I had the choice between Allardyce and Pekerman, I'd pick Pekerman.

21. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

wait a while......

22. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    This is why Allardyce will sue: people are assuming he's guilty because of that programme.

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

here's betting he won't sue.....on a related topic did no one else find it strange that 'Arry filed suit BEFORE the show aired in an attempt to prevent it being shown....??

24. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    And some people are speculating that even if he sues (regardless if he ends up being found innocent) it will prove to be such a sideshow and distraction, he will be pushed to resign for the better of the team.