Salvation Army booted from Target

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by VFish, Nov 24, 2004.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Salvation Army misses its Target; bell ringers banned

The familiar sight and sound of bell-ringing Salvation Army kettle solicitors won’t be part of the traditional holiday scene at another major retail store.
    Target is the latest major retailer to include acorporate policy prohibiting any solicitors for charity outside its stores.

According to Lindsay Evans, director of advancement for the Salvation Army’s East Territorial Headquarters in West Nyack, N.Y., several retail stores have had a no-solicitation policy for a number of years, including Kohl’s, Lowe’s, Home Depot and others.

Sixty percent of all funds raised by the Salvation Army during the year are received during the last quarter of the year.

"While we certainly respect Target’s decision, we’re disappointed it will have an impact on our kettles this year,’’ Evans said.

"Nationally, last year, we raised about $93 million in our Christmas Kettle program. And almost $9 million came from Target stores across the country -- so that’s almost 10 percent of our total income that we’ve at least lost the opportunity to get this year."

All I can say is FTW?

2. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Why does so much come from Target?

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    1. Large # of stores
    2. Relatively affluent clientele.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's their prerogative, but it's sad.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's sad is that these kind of decisions are usually to 'protect' the company from having to say 'yes' to other soliciters. Our society is too litigious.

Edit--Our society is too 'litigious,' and I can't spell. And I can't find my dictionary. So sue me.

6. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Why does the Salvation Army get all the credit? What about the Salvation Navy? Someone has to help out all those homeless guys, bobbing out there in the middle of the ocean.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    How about the Salvation Airforce?

Suddenly as I wrote that I got a flash of Andy Griffith in "No Time for Sergeants"

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I've seen better from you Dan. I cant throw a rotten tomato at you, so neg. rep will have to suffice.. :D

(note: doooht. the computer I am currently using surprisngly wont respond to any attempts to rep... spolied again.)

9. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Frankly, I'm not too choked up about it. If the Salvation Army wants people to take them seriously as a charity, then they should stop hiding behind their religious IRS exemption and provide their financial information in the same manner as all non-religious charities are required to do - so we can see how much of that spare change actually goes to the poor.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agree

Rep Given

11. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Wasn't there some significant investigations into their use of funds for "administrative" expenses about 10 years ago?

I don't remember much of the outcome but it seems like there were some folks that received a very handsome compensation package for their work.

Not that that should in any way demean the good they have done around the world, only that they do not get a pass when it comes to responsible action and compensation. Let's see how all the money is spent just like our soccer BOD have to do.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Salvation Army is one of most revered charities in the nation. Not only that but their books are open. If you are truly concerned they might squander your spare change you can peruse their annual reports, which are available at their website.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that was the United Way, not the Salvation Army.

14. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I relied on Charity Navigator, which may have been mistaken or out of date.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/catid/61/cpid/50.htm#1

Apparently "after repeated requests," they have provided financials to the American Institute of Philanthropy, however, but not for the headquarters or world offices (which does make you wonder what the big boys are spending on themselves). According to AIP, "while the parts of The Salvation Army that have been evaluated receive a high rating from AIP based on their financial performance, AIP members should be aware that the organization lacks an independent governing board." http://www.charitywatch.org/articles/salvarmy.html

As you say, the website appears to include the financials as well, so I'm not sure whether these charity watchdogs are simply asleep, or whether they have problems with the contents of the financials.

For full disclosure - I'm also personally biased against any religious charities.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well why didn't you just say so instead of slandering an effective and honorable institution? Don't know if you noticed but the AIP gave each of the Salvation Army's regional organizations top marks.

16. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Don't know if you noticed, but I said as much in my post, as well as the source of my original information. But hey, feel free to stone the atheist for his non-belief.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I noticed. I would have ignored your original assessment had the next two posts not naively reinforced the notion that the Salvation Army is some sort of corrupt entity run by Jimmy Swaggart.

Have a Happy December 25th! :)

18. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    And a happy solstice to you as well!

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

20. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    somebody get Dan his medication.

21. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    at least you are honest - ok I will bite - if you are "personally biased against .... religious charities" - what "charities" are acceptable to you and why? Charities based on ? are ok versus charities administered via religious entities?

22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Two reasons, really. First, to the extent religious charities do not publicly disclose all finances or fail to account where every charitably given dollar goes, then I have a problem - any charity worth its weight in salt should be utterly transparent, and if it turns out that portions of those charity dollars are actually being routed towards some other part of the religious entity, then I believe there is a problem. Second, I don't like when charity is combined with an effort to proselytize religion, or a religion agenda, such as when population growth aid is tied to celibacy counseling only, or when bibles are handed out with free soup. Of course not all religious charities do this, and if a religion wants to do that, fine - but don't ask me to chip in. I prefer a charity that is formed for the purely secular purposes of a addressing a secular problem - though they must also be watched to make sure they don't stray from that path (sort of like recent battles within the Sierra Club, which isn't even a charity, really).

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with much of Norsk Troll's last post, though I will give credit to the Salvation Army on the proslytizing front. Paying my way through college and supporting myself in graduate school was much easier thanks to the Red Shield Boutique, and nary once was I preached to.

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Isn't that the one where Bush did his National Guard service?

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, let's all laugh at guys who have noplace to live and nothing to eat.