Salt Lake City Travel Tips

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thomas Flannigan, Mar 2, 2005.

1. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I go to SLC every year to ski and stay in Sandy the Iggys out there is fantastic I would recomend iggys to anyone. Its a great sports bar with excellent food and its clean. Great TV's and they will change the channel to just about anything.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  3. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
  4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  5. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Lived in SLC/Park City for about 20 years, before moving out to Denver in '99.

FearM9- as far as biking:

I used to ride in SLC- I remember one trail up in the avenues that was a lot of fun, and is within easy reach of downtown- "Bobsled"- http://content.mtbr.com/united-states-trails/trails-utah/PRD_170526_4583crx.aspx

Also- I'm not sure what the status of completion on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail is, but it might be worth checking out- good views of the city- http://www.bonneville-trail.org/

If you go up to Deer Valley they've got a NORBA trail there that hosts races annually- not sure if all the snow's gone yet- this is usually the heavy runoff time of year- so check with the resorts. Same with PC, Sundance and the others. I think The Canyons might also be mt. biker friendly now.

One of the most popular road rides in SLC is riding up Emigration Canyon.

Other possibly useful stuff:

If anyone climbs- Big Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood and American Fork Canyon all have excellent nearby climbing.

I used to fly-fish a lot up there as well- the Provo river is about an hour from SLC, and has outstanding brown trout fishing.

For those who want to "see things" in Utah- my personal suggestion is not to bother with SLC- there's a few interesting sights in the city, but if you have a day, rent a car and drive South- THAT's Utah. The destinations are endless- all the National Parks, Grand Staircase, high Uintahs- heck- you can reach Jellystone from SLC as easily as you can the parks in the South. A few of my favorites:
    - hike 2 miles up to Delicate Arch in Arches NP (the freestanding one on all the postcards and license plates). Better yet- do it by moonlight- there's no better experience. Fiery Furnace in Arches is also fun.
    - Angel's Landing hike in Zion's NP. The last section is a gut-check- you walk along a skinny ridge holding onto chains while the bedrock drops a sheer 2000 feet on either side. The views are among the most amazing you'll ever see.
    - Hike into one of Escalante's Canyons of Hole in the Rock road- you'll think you died and went to heaven- phenomenal place- it's not to hard to get to places where you realize you're the only soul within a several mile radius....
    - The San Rafael Swell is far less traveled, but just as scenic. It's also closer to SLC.

Some of the best restaurants btw. IMHO are up in Park City/Deer Valley- the drive's 45 mins, and you'll have your choice of numerous restaurants. They cater to the skiing crowds in the winter, so summer's are often much more quiet. It's a nice evening visit when it gets hot down in SLC in the valley in the summer.

I'll be in SLC for the qualifier- me uncle from Belgium is coming with- we'll be looking for a place to watch the UEFA qualifiers, so if anyone's got an update on this, I'm interested.

6. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious if anybody might know where in SLC I could check out the Colombia-Peru WCQ, which starts at 2 pm (MT)??

7. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    G-Fan, I'm too lazy to check Oliver's site.

Is Colombia - Peru PPV, closed circuit, cable or Over The Air?

There's at least one Peruvian restaurant here that I know of. And in the past, a restaurant here has shown South American closed circuit qualifiers.

I will do some checking.

8. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Blitzz Boy. I believe the match is on closed circuit.

Hopefully, I'll get the chance to see that match. Hoping to have a double victory party next Saturday, with Colombia (heritage) beating Peru & the USMNT (my #1) crushing Costa Rica at Rice-Eccles.

6 days to go!!! Can't wait to see everyone at Iggy's on Friday night!!!

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Wow. It should be a sight to see at Iggy's with all the folks there friday night.

10. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iggy's is going to have the Bud girls and a local Rock station on hand for our little shin dig Friday.

11. -GoalUSA10-

-GoalUSA10- New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    USA
    A few of my friends and I are driving from Los Angeles to Utah to watch the game! Does any one know if there are Chevron gas stations in the city, or at least on the way to the city? We have a gas card for Chevron so if there are some, that can help us save some money.Thanks!!

12. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chevron is alive and well in SLC... it actually is a major sponsor or Real Salt Lake.

13. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Let's paint the town red!

14. 4everBlowingBubbles

4everBlowingBubbles New Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Travelling to SLC? I just reserved a PT Cruiser for $19/day through advantage rental car.

I don't work for them, I just think it is a really good deal!

15. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone decided on a time?

16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. Hopefully, not TOO early, being as how I don't get in from L.A. until about 7:30 pm. While I get to my hotel & get changed and get a cab to Iggy's, it might be 8:30 or 9 pm.

Hope that's not too late to enjoy the festivites!!

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Not that I'm in charge, and the SLC boys would be better at telling us this, but I'd say 9pm. But it really depends on when that radio station and the Bud Girls plan on being there. :)

18. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what time it gets underway officially, but I'm sure that it will run well into the night. I wouldn't worry about things being over by 9 PM at all. No matter what you've heard about Salt Lake, we can stay out past 10 o'clock. ;)

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be arriving Friday about 12:30 (or so says American Airlines) and hope to head to Uinita Brewing for lunch. Basically, Uinta is straight south of the airport just off of Highway 215, west of downtown.

Can any locals give me a few pointers re: my best transport options getting to Uinta from the airport and, later that afternoon, getting from the brewpub to downtown (I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriott downtown)? Is there easy public transport from the airport to the vicinity of Uinta? I suspect that taxis aren't all that expensive considering the distances I'm needing to travel. Still, I'd rather spend my hard-earned cash on 3.2% Utah craft brew.

Oh, and if anyone else is arriving on or about 12:41 pm Friday and wishes to share transport costs, PM me.

Thanks,

Doug

20. Goonerchick

Goonerchick New Member

Oct 25, 2001
    USA
    I'm not a Bud Girl, but am looking forward to seeing you all at Iggy's on Friday night and at the tailgate on Saturday.

:D

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're pretty much landing and heading directly to play a round of 18 (which with me playing will last about 6 hours). Check in and then head over to Iggy's.

Quick mapquest shows that the Hotel Monaco isn't far from Iggy's at all.

Looking forward to meeting you all there.

BTW ... quick question for locals ... 1) they fully know we are coming right and 2) are they okay with some singing in the bar?

22. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Uinta looks like a good call. The timing doesn't work for us at the airport, but maybe we'll see you there.

As for Friday, does anyone know where the team is practicing and is there any chance to get in even if only to see a light workout?

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Call Iggy's, the numbers on the web page linked of the Sam's Army page.

24. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Good question - please tell me we're not in for another 'Picadilly Pub' :mad:

Can locals confirm that Iggy's knows what we're all about?

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just spoke with Alan, one of the managers and he said singing will be okay.

Damn, the Picadilly Pub incident still f'in pisses me off. :mad: