Salcido VS. Marquez, and the best is:

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Atlas10, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Atlas10

Atlas10 Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    high in the sky!
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We all saw how well Salcido played the Conf. Cup in Germany, and we also saw Marquez. Now the question is: who do you think is better? Who has a greater future?

Carlos Salcido: 25 years old, born in Jalisco, plays in chivas, great tournament he played in Germany showing his strong skills as a defender making Ronaldinho, Riquelme and company disapear from the games, from been an unknown player to a player that any "powerhouse" team in the world wants. Score a "galactic" goal against Argentina, showing dribbling skills. Getting to be known as a future world star and one of the best defenders in the world.

Rafael Marquez: 26 years old, born in Michoacan, played in Atlas, Monaco (won French title) plays in Barcelona and just won his second european title, he score 3 goals, Spain qualified him as one of the inportant players to win the title. He played the Conf. Cup and got a red card for a dumb faul just like the one against USA back in the WC2002.

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    cmon.......

i know marquez played like shyt... buthe shouldnt even have played... he was hurt

3. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    Marquez.... and yes i am trying to imitate Mosco!

4. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Salcido had a great cup, but he aint better than Marquez.

5. AMW F.C.

AMW F.C. New Member

May 25, 2005
    Legion 1908
    Hard to say because they play better at different roles but I would take Rafa at defensive mid, Salcido over rafa at defensa lateral, and Rafa over Salcido at defensa central. As an overall defender i would take salcido because he defends better than rafa and isn't such a dirty player, however Rafa is better overall because he can play many roles, has experience, has great heading ability and he can shoot tiro libres very well.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marquez has won two CL cups????? :Confused:

7. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Marquez by far. Shouldn't even be asked.

8. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Marquez won a frech league title with Monaco and a Spanish league title with Barcelona.

9. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

You gotta try a little less. More like this.

I agree.

LOL!

10. -WiLL-

-WiLL- Member

Jun 23, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    LOL you sound just like Mosco!

11. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    Poor Mosco! Wink

12. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Compa you took the words right out of my mouth!! Wow i'm amazed how many people think about me here on these boards!!! :D

13. AtlasZorritoX4

AtlasZorritoX4 New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    ~NORTHERN CAL14NIA~
    I agree. :D

14. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Marquez is better

Is yet to soon to see if Salcido is able to mantain that quality level,and see if he is able to stand out in Europe,just like Marquez has done ,increasing his level in the field since being in Atlas.So far Salcido has shown good things, but were was Salcido when he was 21 years old,barely a young talent.At 25 he is considered a revelation,let's wait and see him if he maintains his level.

You still can't make comparisions until Salcido has taken the same kind of difficulties stages that Marquez has already gone throught.

15. mexi-can

mexi-can New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Re: Salcido VS. Marquez,

Marquez is the backbone of D

16. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles

He may be the backbone but he sure didn't look like it in the Confederations Cup seeing that he was injured for most of it. Salcido on the other hand was very consistant and even managed to score a goal.

17. El Chivito

El Chivito New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Califas

One thing is for sure Rafa did not play very much and when he finally did he managed to get a Red card for a dumb foul. On the other hand Salcido was their throughout the whole Cup and played inspired futbol. He demonstrated great skill and ability to shut down the best of the on the opposing teams. He deserves some credit for his accomplishments.
    Also about the question regarding where he was when 21 yrs. that is somewhat irrelevant, some players are not given a chance till they are older. Common as if we don't know that most Mexican team are almost affraid to give youngsters a chance.

18. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Salcido has a lot of potential, as he's shown, but before you can compare him to Rafa, he has to accomplish more than he has. If only Rafa did not commit those stupid fouls.

I agree that he should not have played since he was not fullt recoverd from his injury, but that is also another thing that hurts Rafa, how injury prone he is. Hopefully Salcido will not have that problem if he goes to Europe (and I hope he does) Because I think he has allready proven that in the Mexican league he is one of the best, if not the best defender.

19. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    the error you are makinng here is trying to compare a player who has shown a great level in a tournament of five games and at some tournaments in mexico like salcido with a player that has been playing at a top level in Europe for three years.

Rafa is a guy that is considered by Rijkard in Barcelona one of the five vital players in the team(alongside puyol,ronaldinho,deco,and eto'o).

Still i believe salcido is a great player that I think he could develop as well as Rafa in Europe.

The point I was trying to make with the age, is because Marquez has increased his level since he was young at Atlas.He has showed his quality during some years now.

Give Salcido time, so he can develop more and remain with the level he already has.

20. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Salcido has proven that he is an excellent defender in the Mexican League and for the NT. Hopefully he will get his shot in Europe because he has proven that he deserves it and hopefully he will be successful. Who knows, maybe he can become a better player than Rafa. Who knows, he played a great tournament and he should continue playing like that. Kudos to Salcido ;)

21. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Marquez, no question about it.

22. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Rafa is the man, but I would take salcido over rafa if salcido played in europe. :cool:

23. Rey_Azteka

Rey_Azteka New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Long Beach C.A
    Marquez had a bad tournament... but hes still a much better player then salcido.

24. El Chivito

El Chivito New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Califas
    Rafa did have a bad tournament and by no means does that make him a bad player. He is one of our top players. But we should not undermine the MFL and its players, afterall there are world class players playing in the MFL. As far as Rafa being a much better player than Salcido you may be right, but I differ with your opinion. I believe Salcido has been showing great skill for some time now and Confederation was his first chance to showcase his talent globally. Salcido has every thing it takes to match Rafa's accomplishments or surpass them.

25. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    True

Still, it's not the same kind of pressure having to be at the top of your level while playing to Barcelona at Spain and playing in the champions league than playing in chivas the tournament in mexico.

The confed cup is only a 5 game tournament and therefore cannot be considered to see the real level of a player and if he is caopable of maintaining that level at a team in europe.