Salary Cap

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Gamblor, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    Since Guevara sounds close to signing, I thought I'd take my best guesses at what our Cap situation looks like.

Full Roster Players (18)

1. Pope - $270K
    2. Moreno - $270K
    3. Howard - $230K
    4. Mathis - $200K
    5. Guevara - $190K
    6. Jolley - $120K
    7. Williams - $75K
    8. Addo - $50K
    9. Lisi - $40K
    10. Grafer - $35K
    11. Ziadie - $30K
    12. Moore - $25K
    13. Leitch - $25K
    14. Regan - $25K
    15. Glowienka - $25K
    16. DiGiamarino - $30K
    17. ???
    18. ???

Total - $1,640K

So about $30K per player left for our final 2 roster spots. Maybe 2 of the players from Argentina.

Cap Exempt (6)

1. Clark - P40
    2. Magee - P40
    3. Gaven - P40
    4. LeBlanc - P40
    5. Matteo - Developmental
    6. Arena - Developmental

2. MetroStars96

MetroStars96 New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    I wonder if Chris Sanje will earn a spot as a developmental player and Kenny Arena will get the pushup to the 18 man roster.
    Interesting to note that the final roster hasn't even been announced yet and we are only a couple weeks away from game 1.

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    The Metros web site still lists Arena, Glowienka and Regan as just college protected (ie - not signed to a contract), though they have been assigned numbers. And Matteo is not listed as a developmental contract (probably because if he's good enough to be traded, he's good enough to count against a roster). Also of note, Chris Sanje is still showing up on the roster, and has been given the number 26. Of course, I don't think we have any way of knowing at the moment if all of that information is correct. If the Metros intend to sign (or have already signed) all the college protected players and Sanje, however, one of them will have to go if Guevara comes, in order to stay within the 18-man limit (unless one of them is signed to a developmental contract).

MLSnet's roster still lists Matteo as a Developmental contract, but the Metros' website is more up to date (the MLSnet roster doesn't yet include DiGiamarino)

4. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    We also have the $75k allocation for Guevara - that will free up some more cap room.

5. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    I remember reading somewhere that Matteo was going to stay a DP. That he requested being traded back home because that was the only place he could afford to live on a DP salary. I'm going to guess he's a DP until there is official word otherwise.

As for Arena, that's just speculation on my part. I'm thinking either he'll sign a DP contract or he won't make the team. But who knows.

Regarding the $75K allocation money, I didn't see any of the articles mention whether we had to pay a transfer fee or not. If not, great. More money toward our Cap.

6. BrooklynGladiator

BrooklynGladiator New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    big up to Brooklyn
    i remember reading we got him on free transfer, though i could be wrong.

dre

7. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    Guevara is leaving on a free transfer - I believe it was a clause in his contract. MLS outbid Nacional for his services.