Salary cap in A-League?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by CosmosKramer, Aug 27, 2002.

1. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a salary cap for A-League franchises?

If no, let's imagine some mega-millionaire suddenly decides he wants to own a professional soccer team. He's an egomaniac, so he has no interest in MLS and single entity ownership. Instead he buys an A-League expansion team for NYC and builds "Stad de NYC" - a 40,000 seat stadium built on Queens waterfront featuring magnificient views of Manhattan Skyline.

The team is loaded with talent - the best players money could buy, from all over world.

I realize this will never happen but what's to stop me (oops - alright I just bought my Mega -Million lottery ticket and can't stop dreaming) from doing it if I've got the bucks to make it happen?

How terrible/great for professional soccer in U.S would this be?

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have at it. It had better be a big lottery, considering what it's going to cost you to build the stadium and get the talent.

Nothing's stopping you, I guess. Except that little nasty thing called This Is How Reality Works On This Planet.

No, the A-League doesn't have a salary cap. Rampant salary inflation is not one of the A-League's major problems.

3. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Yes, we have a whole host of other problems.