Salary Cap in 2012 - 2.81 Million

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lawrenceterp, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Has this been covered in another thread? If so I apologize, please delete or merge.

At the end of this article on Beckham possibly going to PSG, it mentions some other moves Galaxy are making. It also mentions that "Arena said the league's salary cap will be $2.81 million in 2012."

This is slightly higher than last year isn't it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/soccer/news/story?id=7346819

2. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cap is suppose to go up a certain % every year based on the CBA. The % is small if memory serves, something like 5%.

Does anyone know of a link the tracks how much allocation money each team has at its disposal? That plus the salary cap give a more complete picture of how much each team has to spend.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...it goes up 5% every year

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That specific figure for each team is undisclosed. The best you can hope for is some sort of digging by the team's beat writer to come up with an educated estimate.

5. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well according to the CBA that the player's union site keeps as a resource for the players the ... oh, wait ... yeah nevermind ... the CBA they have is still the one that expired in 2010.

way to to MLS and MLSPA ... keeping the public and the players up to date as possible!!!

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    From MLSsoccer.com:

NOTE: To protect the interests of MLS and its clubs during discussions with prospective players or clubs in other leagues, amounts of allocation money held by each club will not be shared publicly. (Similarly, most clubs in other countries do not announce the amount of money they plan to spend during a given transfer window.)

7. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Waiting for that 2014 number (that's right, right?). Hoping for well north (or just a little) of $5M.

Yes, I can hope.

8. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Right. Last year was $2,675,000 so the 5% increase takes it to $2,808,750. Maybe they rounded up.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect something like that. Seems reasonable. That would put the average salary (w/o DPs) at $250K. With those kinds of numbers, they would probably have to raise the max individual salary.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Please explain your reasoning as to how that "seems reasonable".

Given the history of the Salary Cap in MLS, having it double in roughly 3 years time is so completely beyond anything we seem, I'm going to insist that you show your work.

And short of just giving the exiting players huge raises, I'm not sure where teams would spend that money. There aren't hordes of Yanks Abroad (or Canucks Abroad) that would be noticeable upgrades to the Americans currently getting playing time in MLS to justify that much of a jump in the Salary Cap.

And given the fact that MLS is still likely not break-even, adding $30-40 million to the payroll for no real return in attendance/ratings/merchandising doesn't sound particularly "reasonable" to me.

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This $5 million cap makes no sense in 2014.

Perhaps you guys are off by a year? The current CBA runs through the 2014 season (along with all current tv contracts).

If you are hoping for some massive change in the salary cap like growing to 5 million, it won't happen until 2015 at the earliest and only if MLS does very well with the new tv contracts.

The salary cap should look like this until the end of the CBA

2012: $2.81M
    2013: $2.95M
    2014: $3.1M

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Isn't the 5% increase the minimum? They could increase it more if they wanted.

Some people are just more optimistic than others.

It all depends on the new TV deals that get worked out. Look at the new TV deal the Galaxy got for their local coverage.

So while I personally don't think it is reasonable, I wouldn't be that surprised if MLS was able to do that after the new TV deals get worked out.

Regarding where that money would go, a lot of it would likely go to bringing in better foreign talent. It would be best if the jump was more gradual though. They could also simply start reducing some of the allocation money and just transferring that part of the salary budget to the official cap number.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering the growth rate of league revenue (3-5% above inflation depending on your calculations) it's probably more likely than not that MLS will be making $30-40 million more than it is today. I would imagine that a large percentage of that money will be invested in player salaries or youth development.

Obviously, it largely depends on the new TV deal, but the new TV deal won't directly correspond with ratings. The league makes $30 million /yr now, but doubling our ratings wouldn't yield $60 million /yr. Other forces will ultimately determine what kind of money the league gets next time 'round.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, because the only way the league and the Player's Association have to communicate with the players is a public website. :rolleyes:

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made this point earlier. The new national deals won't start until 2015. There is no way we can get to 5 million salary cap before the new tv deals kick in IMO.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but the new deal will be negotiated in 2014. I think that's what whoever started this meant. So yes, we're talking about the 2015 season.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But even a jump to 5 million under Salary Cap won't do that.

If you want to pay for an upgrade in non-DP foreign talent, you're going to have to a lot more than double the average salary.

Just for comparison, the #4 team sport, the NHL averages $50 million per team of 25 players.

If you want to pay for an upgrade, and I'm not talking UEFA Champions League level, you're going to have to raise the cap a lot more than double.

And I don't see even the most optimistic of "new TV revenues" covering that kind of jump.

I'm sure MLS will get there eventually. But the last 16 years has shown that you can't force it. And the majority of players and majority of minutes on the field will continue to be played by Americans.

As the background talent level of the average MLS level American player increases, and international demand for American players increases - you'll see wages rise. It's supply and demand.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where does the 150M deal to sell part of SUM to an investor firm come into play? Thought that was happening in the not too distant future. Any word on that?

How would MLS inject 10's of millions into MLS, to lure better foreign talent, without raising the cap?

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    It might not be to $5 million, but I can see the salary cap jumping significantly after 2014. The league will very likely be profitable as a whole by then (if it isn't already).

The new TV deals will be what decide the amount. Not to mention the likely fierce CBA battle that will be occurring then. The salary cap isn't part of the CBA, but the end result might have an effect on it.

20. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and we need to remember that the 2010 season average attendance went up over 1200/game from 2009-- that should have brought over $ 7 mil for MLS and its teams

(18 teams x 17 home games/team x 1200 extra tickets sold/game x $20/ticket (just a guesstimate) = $ 7.3 mil) and thats not counting concessions and parking for teams that have those revenue streams

21. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why don't people understand that raising the cap doesn't necessarily mean that the expenses will go up - it means the ability for teams to spend more - not every team in the NFL, NHL and NBA spends to the maximum of the cap. So again, if the cap went up to $5 million, that's not doubling expenses. SJ, Colorado, Dallas etc wouldn't be forced to spend more.

Current spending with allocation + DP exemption is close to $5 million per team anyway (on average). There are about 8-10 teams that can afford right now to spend more than $5 million.

So yes, it is realistic.

22. Nytshade

Nytshade Member

May 21, 2001
    Newport News, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize in advance for not having a link or source on this, but I recall reading that a large chunk of this money would go back to the original investors. The Krafts, the Hunts, AEG, etc., for all of the years of non-profitability. A sort of "Thank you for sticking it out" payoff. And, IMO, that is a great way to spend the money. It lets prospective/existing investors know that at some point, the league will take care of its people.

23. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    I think they meant the 2015 season also. But I will say that if the league wants to maximize their potential TV contracts in 2015 it would be wise to do whatever they could to get higher ratings in 2014. So I could see some efforts made to bring in as many marketable players as possible.

24. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There are multiple teams spending more then that right now.

Until we get teams willing to use all the tools/salary that they have access to right now, just raising it to 5 million won't do much.

25. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    There is this idea that raising the cap will immediately result in better players that misses the reality of the situation. Outside of Germany, England, Spain, most of Italy, and probably most of France too, I don't think MLS salaries are THAT much below the going rate for most players. I doubt Collin (191k) in KC took a huge salary cut coming from Portugal, Alvaro Fernandez is on a 300k salary coming from Uruguay, Lekic came from Denmark and is making 275k, Feilhaber came from there as well and is making 350k, and then you have a couple players from Switzerland that are making under max salary.

The thing is that in most of the European leagues you can offer a competitive salary to most players that are outside of the couple big teams in the league (for instance, Hassli came from Switzerland and makes 900k, but he came from FC Zurich, a normal front-runner). You go into South America and I'm pretty sure that outside of the big Argentine and Brazilian clubs you can offer a better salary than they can (and in Brazil and Argentina you may not always get paid). The problem isn't going to Colombia, Uruguay, and Chile and finding good players that will play for under 335k; the problem is that they are going to cost you a transfer fee, something that MLS doesn't have a good system for yet.

Until you set up a way for teams to go out and buy some players without it killing their salary budget (different than the cap everyone talks about) then raising the budget isn't going to make a difference. You give me a 3 million dollar budget with 2 million a year in money for transfers (that I can roll over) then I can build you a better team than I can with 5 million and no real good way to buy players.