salaries?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by cat829, Oct 21, 2003.

1. cat829

cat829 New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Can anybody tell me,what the salaries are for the players on the metrostars,esp mathis,gaven and guevara.

2. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no point really mathis will be gone after the season, but he makes the max... $270k a season is max i think... dont pay attention to their salaries much...

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't know exactly what those guys make, but it's a disgrace that players like Wolyniec and Addo make the league minimum of approx $26K. They could make the same amount flipping burgers.

MLS made about $3 million on the Howard transfer....where did that money go? Why not put it towards players salaries since the minimum and maximum salaries have basically been the same since the League's inception?

4. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Toward paying off the millions that they will lose this year.

5. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Max salary is $270k but dont forget about bonuses. I read somewhere that while Tim Howard was here he was getting payed around $400k a year.

I beleive there are other players getting payed max plus bonouses around the league.

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Washington Post had reported that Pope and Moreno both "officially" made the MLS max salary (of about $270K) but also made more than that when they were with United (I believe the numbers were between $350-$400K). I'm assuming that continued with Metro (and I guess it's possible Pope may have gotten an increase with his new contract). So there are a lot of players in MLS that make more than $270K but the league doesn't like to advertise this fact.

Gaven is P-40. That's supposed to be 4 years of college money plus a salary. My understanding is that the "salary" P-40 players get varies dramatically--that players like DJ Countess (who was getting offers from Europe) are higher than someone like a Gaven so it would only be a guess on my part what Gaven makes. Except, since he's P-40 it is cap exempt.

And other guys like Wolyniec or Addo probably make MLS minimum (obviously, very tough to manage with in a high-cost area like NYC) or Richie Williams or Lisi--not much more above league minimum.

Haig I think had posted that Guevara is below the MLS max salary this year. Usually players involved in transfers get a percentage of the transfer fee I think so while that probably isn't counted in in "salary" in terms of the cap, that is probably a nice chunk of change that he's enjoyed this season.

7. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Guys like Mathis and Meola and Preki are making $270K, but as far as the lesser-paid salaries go, these guys arent doing too bad, theyve got endorsements...how much do you think Landon is making this year?

8. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Where can you make 26 grand flipping burgers six months a year?

9. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Except that most MLS teams don't practice and play only 6 months a year. I thought Metro had practices as late as November and started up sometime in January. Given both the cost of living AND the risk of injury to any physical endeavor, I would think it's a bit of a challenge to find developmental players who can afford to play for SJ and Metro.

10. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Its pretty tru that its a year round thing eeven if there arent games in the winter... BUT practices are only 2 hours long. Thats 26k for 14 hours of work a week.

11. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Ya man, send me the aplication.

12. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    While I think MLS players should be paid competitive salaries with other league's around the world, there is one thing to remember when you compare 25k a year flippin burgers and 25k a year playing soccer.

Flipping burgers, waiting tables, etc, for 25k a year sucks.

Getting a full ride through college to play soccer, getting a diploma, then spending 10-15 years making relatively little money, yet playing a game everyday, traveling around the world, being a professional athete, etc. IS WORTH IT!!! Most of these guys have their diplomas, so they can move on and get other jobs in their thirties when they retire.....You only live life once.....and 99% of people would turn in their day jobs to be a pro athlete!

I don't feel bad for any of these guys.....not one bit....even the Wolys, Nugents, and Lisis of MLS...

13. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    What does this mean?

The reality is......they get to play a game and work a few hours a day......

Salary is what it is........If it was much more, we probably wouldn't have a league......

And, I'm under the assumption that the bulk of the guys making league minimum are the kids.....they wouldn't be making much more than anywhere else and they would have to work a hell of a lot harder for it.

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he just used a line from BDP's My Philosophy