Salaries

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WoSoFan, May 5, 2022.

1. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I came across a Top 10 Salaries list of players in women’s professional soccer. On that list there were 4 US players: Carli Lloyd(1),Alex Morgan(3),Megan Rapinoe(4),and Jule Ertz(5). All the players were listed in the Top 5. At number 2 was Sam Kerr, known to have signed with Chelsea for $500,000. Knowing the NWSL operates on a salary cap, I am somewhat confused on how the the US player’s salaries are determined?

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Would this information be public? Meaning is this person guessing, and also, does this list include marketing deals with Nike, etc?

3. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #3 WoSoFan, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Ada Hegerberg is ranked 6th on this list, making $425,000, which as far as I know is true, and obviously that does not include the 1 million a year endorsement money she receives from Nike.

ytrs repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #4 SiberianThunderT, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
    Link? That can provide some context to help answer the question. Also, provide a clue about the rigor of the source. Lloyd, conspicuously, is no longer playing, so IDK if I trust that list at all.

=edit=
    To add: we already have *very* reputable reporting that Trinity Rodman has the highest-value contract in the NWSL, worth $1.1mil over 4 years. (And, notably, states Rapinoe's salary as well)
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...layer-after-re-signing-with-washington-spirit
    Whatever list you found seems dubious/sloppy at best and mostly fabricated at worst.

5. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Yeah this same list seems to date back to March 2021 to a more recent one in March 2022. Several other sources have the same list. Very confusing?

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6 hotjam2, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
    is it based on just salaries from their respective clubs or USWNT?; both Rapinoe & Ertz been on TV commercials, Morgan’s wrote books & featured in film, Lloyd either operates or gives her name to prominent soccer camps. Probably all got contracts with Nike, Addidas or some other company. Over in Europe, Sam Kerr has her name on an Nike cleat/Lieke Martens has her line of sports wear, so both likell likely would get extra commission on how many items they sell

7. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Rodman has the highest total contract in the NWSL but she is not the highest paid player annually. Articles when she signed stated that clearly.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #8 SiberianThunderT, May 7, 2022
    ...so can you give a link to at least one of these lists???
    =EDIT=
    I just tried a quick Google search, and OMG every single one of these lists is on a skeevy site I've never heard of before that's riddled with typoes. WHY ARE YOU TRUSTING THESE???
    And it's not just 2022 vs 2021... Skimming through the articles, they'll mention 2020 or 2019 in their text! There is absolutely NO internal consistency to these lists!

Source on that? The only direct comparisons in NWSL I've seen annually are for her vs Rapinoe and Morgan, and she outearns them both annually ($281k vs $250k). I've looked at the ESPN article linked above, in addition to Yahoo, Bleacher Report, Athletic, EQZ.
    Unless you mean when compared globally instead of compared within NWSL, which then yes, of course.

And this comes back to the original question of the thread and the point I made earlier. While Ada's listed salary sounds like just her club salary, i.e. ignoring sponsorships and other sources of income, the USWNTers on the list are clearly listed with club salary plus who-knows-what-else. Whoever originally compiled the list was being incredibly sloppy and didn't explain themselves at all.

9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    https://www.scottfujita.com/highest-paid-female-soccer-player/

No idea how accurate this is, but interesting.

• #1. Carli Lloyd – USD 518,000 Per Year.
    • #2. Samantha Kerr – USD 500,000 Per Year.
    • #3. Alex Morgan – USD 450,000 Per Year.
    • #4. Megan Rapinoe – USD 447,000 Per Year.
    • #5. Julie Ertz – USD 430,000 Per Year.
    • #6. Ada Hegerberg – USD 425,000 Per Year.
    • #7. Marta Vieira da Silva – USD 400,00 Per Year.

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    [QUOTE="
    Source on that? The only direct comparisons in NWSL I've seen annually are for her vs Rapinoe and Morgan, and she outearns them both annually ($281k vs $250k). I've looked at the ESPN article linked above, in addition to Yahoo, Bleacher Report, Athletic, EQZ.
    Unless you mean when compared globally instead of compared within NWSL, which then yes, of course.

[/QUOTE]

You will note that the articles all say "the Washington Spirit signed Trinity Rodman to the biggest contract in NWSL history, worth four years, $1.1 million. It is the biggest total contract.

This one elaborates: "Rodman’s on-field earnings will average $281,000 annually, a higher payday than many of the league’s other stars, including Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan, whose $250,000 salaries were supported by U.S. Soccer".

https://sports.yahoo.com/trinity-rodman-signs-record-nwsl-140019700.html

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....I literally mentioned the Yahoo article and the $281/250k numbers; that's not adding to or correcting anything I said.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And I already found that (among other sites) too:

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Yes, it is. I quoted that part that said she is paid higher than SOME of the stars. Not all of them. But, when she first signed it there were multiple articles that said she is not the highest paid annually, but the the highest TOTAL value of the contract.

I did not realize we cited the same article. I was highlighting that sentence.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #14 SiberianThunderT, May 7, 2022
    The part you bolded said she is paid higher than "many", but in a very nit-pick-y sense, that is not equivalent to saying there certainly are players paid higher. Journalisticly, the "many" could very easily mean some of the stars' salaries aren't known (and thus can't be determined as being higher or lower; NWSL is infamous for its lack of transparency, after all). Apologies for being a stickler, but researching and proper sourcing are a huge part of my day job.

Again, I pointed out basically every thorough, respected, high-profile reporting site I could in my original post, and none of those articles stated anyone actually being paid higher than Rodman, annual or total. (I also just looked a SI and WaPo - same things.) If you can find one of the "multiple articles" that explicitly says someone else gets paid more, please share.

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I found this:

Though the $1.1 million amount is large, Rodman will not be one of the highest paid women's soccer players just yet. The Washington Post’s Steven Goff reports her contract will grow exponentially over the next few years. Interestingly, the deal is technically for three years with a club option for a fourth, but the club is exercising that option for 2022.

https://the18.com/en/soccer-news/trinity-rodman-contract-highest-paid-womens-soccer-players

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting! If that's the case, then the other articles reporting a flat $281k (like the ESPN and Bleacher Report articles) wouldn't be correct, b/c that figure matches the $1.1mil split evenly over the four years. If it's something that grows year-over-year, though, then she'd be making less than that this year, but more than that in the future. The Yahoo article is good in that it notes the $281k is an average, but that's a qualifier that's not present in basically any of the other articles - the ESPN article in particular even uses the phrase "base salary annually", unchanging. Really frustrating that numbers like these aren't reported on consistently. Heck, that tidbit of info from Goff's own Tweet didn't make it into his WaPo article!

ytrs repped this.
  17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
  18. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Something else to note in analyzing some of the salary number is the dollars vs Euros. In the example the Top 10 that were being listed all were listed in dollars. In the cases of the European teams players like Henry, Renard, and Hegerberg the salary amounts showing are actually Euros so it would actually be over $400,000 for Renard and Henry. In the case of Hegerberg her dollar amount is just over $460,000. Whoever did the research didn’t distinguish between the two.

ytrs and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ytrs repped this.
  20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The article I referenced in post #9 stated that they were all in US Dollars.

• #6. Ada Hegerberg – USD 425,000 Per Year.