Salaries for Central American clubs

Discussion in 'Central America' started by Celtigo, Nov 9, 2009.

1. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Bump.

Anyone have any new info on this topic. It interests me a lot.

I was also wondering what the major source of revenue was for Central American teams?

I know that Municipal has been struggling with attendance issues recently.
    I was wondering where the money comes from to sustain these teams?

2. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Sponsors. Big companies sponsor Big clubs. The following are sponsors for Municipal:

Municipality of Guatemala City: The club is named "Municipal" for a reason. The city of Guatemala is the biggest sponsor for the team and gets its funds from city-government revenue.

Banrural: The biggest bank in the country and a sponsor for the team.

TIGO: The biggest wireless provider in the country. The also have exclusive rights for the Iphone so that's a big source of revenue.

PEPSI: Beverage company.

BREMEN: Food sector. Mostly known for their franks and ham.

JOMA: I think you can figure this out. Also since Joma is not as famous as other brand names they tend to pay a lot more sponsorship money than other brands.

Also keep in mind that football clubs are owned by rich business people who already own other corporations that generate lots of revenue. So making money from the team is not one of their main priorities, winning games is.

3. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Popol Vuh, you seem to know a lot about this topic.

How much do you think Antigua FC of the Guatemalan second division would cost to buy?

And the sponsors make sense, that's why there's like a million logos on Muni's jerseys. Thanks for the info.

4. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Well Antigua GFC used to be in the 1st tier division (Liga Nacional in Guatemala) like 4 years ago. Now they have been relegated twice so they're now playing in the 3rd tier league.

I don't know exactly how much they're worth now. But I think since they're playing in the SEGUNDA DIVISION (3rd tier league in Guatemala) the most I will pay is USD $1,000,000.00

They can't be worth more than that. BUT since they are a very well known team that price can be increased to maybe 2M or more BUT that will be an inflated price IMO.