Sala?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by freeze_halo1, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Sala has had 'hands of stone' since he got here.
    His prior quickness let him get away with it.
    Now, because of injury, he's not so quick and the 2nd goal was because of his 'hands of stone'.

How can Morrow trust him again to tell him if he's ready?
    Fool me once, (LA) ....
    Fool me twice, (DC) ....

Burse should have started.
    Why Morrow didn't sub-out Sala at half time is beyond me.

2. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Not having unique insight into Morrow's mind and thought process, I am going to make a wild guess that subbing out Sala would have done little more than to completely shatter whatever confidence he has left. Really, Morrow had no real choice but to sub with an eye toward trying to even up the score, rather than stop the bleeding. I presume that Burse will start next time, amid little fanfare.

3. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (wish I could Potter-rep you, fcd_noob, but the button isn't working.)

I agree that Sala's problem is mental.

I also agree that the best player should start and that the best player is Burse. BUT, I think we're in a position where the best course of action is to let Sala start most of the remaining games this season to try and find a rhythm. but the Open Cup games go to Burse, and if Sala's not back by the playoffs Burse takes those as well.

4. hoopsfan4life

hoopsfan4life New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    So you're saying let Sala play so he can get in a rhythm before the playoffs...but if he can't put Burse in? Do you really want to watch Dario Sala lose the team more points before putting in Ray Burse. Likewise, what rhythm will Burse have if he is sitting on the bench watching Dario let in horrible goals?
    At the end of the day, you go with the players that are getting it done. You don't reserve spots for those that might get the job done down the road.

5. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Dario Sala is a very clutch player with a winning percentage better than almost any other keeper in the league (and he beat Atlanta in pk's and the reason we are in Seattle now). Burse won't look that great either if Gbandi continues playing the left side in "matador" style. Gbandi's job was to stop Olsen (or at least play him close). Olsen scored the first two goals, remember? Then our offense didn't score. Can't win when you don't score. There is plenty of blame all around for the DC game.

6. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're saying, and I understand the contradiction vis a vis my stance of play-the-best-player,-but-play-Sala anyway... but my point is this: I'm writing off Supporter's Shield, I said about a week ago that I didn't think we had a shot at that, but playoffs are clenched and we can afford to drop points by playing Sala.

Burse doesn't need to play every game to be in the rhythm, he got out of the gate fine and he'll be used to the pressure if we play him in LHUSOC, which I'm sure we will.

so it's the best of both worlds: we give Sala a chance to come back full force, which we know he CAN do, and Burse knows to train hard and stay sharp during USOC and reserve games in preparation for a probable playoff run in the event that Sala continues to suck.

7. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morrow's using the same strategy for sure.

8. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the matador idea. FC Uptown has the rights to Chris Gbandi's new nickname: The Matador
    If he continues to pout it should be the boo hoo matador.

9. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    So Gbandi should have predicted that horrible clearance from Sala on the first goal.

While Gbandi did no one any favors on goal number 2, neither did Goodson or Sala.

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Hey, I just want to go on the record that my original issue with playing Sala was simple. I thought Burse had earned the start and we should have stuck with him until he screwed up. It didn't imply any animosity towards Sala and I don't think Sala's bad game felt like anything more that bad juju from us violating my "rule" that a solid playing goalie should keep his spot.

11. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    1st goal - all Sala
    2nd goal - equal blame amongst Sala, Goodson & Gbandi. The only thing that was worse about Gbandi on that goal was at least the other 2 guys tried to make a play. Gbandi just stood & watched. The one time he should be leaving his feet to make the tackle & he just stands there.
    3rd goal - mostly that one is on Gbandi although it would be nice if our midfielders would've tried to close down the crosses.
    4th goal - mostly Sala. That one is pretty simple stuff.

12. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Weren't all goals on the left side?

13. hoopsfan4life

hoopsfan4life New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    If Gbandi's nickname is matador, then Dario's nickname should be INVISIBLE!!!

14. theramblingscot

theramblingscot New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Norman, OK
    My thoughts:

Sala is NOT 100%. He shouldn't have played and certainly he did us no favors in the game on Saturday. I don't place the blame solely on him, though, because the defense played horribly as well.

Another thought....if we do put in Burse, and he doesnt play as well as you guys are making him out to be, what are you gonna do then? And it bothers me how everyone has seemingly lost all hope in Sala...did you guys even watch him last season? He won us so many games last year it was ridiculous. I'm a little down on him right now too, but I've got faith in him that once he's healthy he'll be great again. Burse is fine to play, IMO, until Sala is ACTUALLY 100%.

Disclaimer: I love RayJ...I'm not hating on him! He is our future!

Now Come ON You Hoops....pull your heads out and WIN for us tomorrow!!!

15. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    After the 4th goal I wanted to 'boo' Sala. Badly. So did everyone around me. Emotional as it is I'm glad the Inferno continued with support for the full 90. It's not right to dog a Dallas player (unless it's Eric Quill!!!!) during a game.

It IS right to post opinions, rants, suggestions etc... after the game on these boards. If it hurts players feelings by reading them, then they should be professional enough not to lurk on Big Soccer.

I hope Burse starts Tuesday against Seattle. After that I hope either guy 'earns' the spot.

16. 108militia

108militia New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Great plan. Goalie allows four soft goals so let's cheer and applaud his outstanding performance. Give me a f'n break. Dario Sala should be dogged, jeered, cussed at, tossed on the scrap heap and should never see a first team game again unless Ray Burse is injured.

17. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    "Be careful what you wish for...."
    [​IMG]

18. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    You may have outdone yourself on knee-jerk post of the year.

19. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holy shit. I just watched this game and Sala was a waste of a starting position. Maybe we should play with an extra defender and not worry about a goalie, all he did was pick the ball up out of the net all night.

So much for the Supporter's Shield.

20. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the facts - since some folks seem to be missing a few...

FC Dallas
    total shots: 9 (Carlos Ruiz 4)
    shots on goal: 3 (Carlos Ruiz 2)
    fouls: 11 (3 tied with 2)
    offsides: 6 (Carlos Ruiz 3)
    corner kicks: 2 (Arturo Alvarez 1, Dax McCarty 1)
    saves: 2 (Dario Sala 2)

D.C. United
    total shots: 12 (Christian Gomez 4)
    shots on goal: 6 (Christian Gomez 2, Ben Olsen 2)
    fouls: 18 (Marc Burch 3)
    offsides: 4 (4 tied with 1)
    corner kicks: 4 (Marc Burch 2, Christian Gomez 2)
    saves: 3 (Troy Perkins 3)

21. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. The next time David Ortiz goes 0 for 5 I expect you to say the same thing.

22. cormaxtacy

cormaxtacy Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Little Rock, Ark.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think Burse should start at the USOC game, and all Morrow has to say is that Sala needs rest and Burse should play this game....

But Sala does need to get back into the game, if only he could punch out a few Colorado players than everyone would love him again, right? :rolleyes:

23. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000

I don't like it when we get out-fouled, even 18 - 11. I think of it as an indicator of fight more than foul play. We should be doing the ass kicking. Especially at home. Especially during such a lop sided game.

24. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Don't know if you were around for the Mistake in Southlake season, 2003. THAT team deserved to be dogged. Inferno wore paper bags over our heads and I was photographed for the DMN holding up a tombstone calling for the death of then-coach Mike Jeffries. He was fired 2 weeks later. Thankfully.

Nothing about this team has been that bad since. I certainly didn't suggest we cheer on Sala as he let in soft goals. But as a supporter's group I like the 'Dallas Till I Die' mentality.

It's hard. It takes work. It's what we expect of the team. We should be willing to do the same. For 90 minutes!

25. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    There's a difference between a player having a bad game and a player doggin' it. Therein lies the difference between not booing a player and booing a player.