Saha/Ronney, Tevez/Rooney or Saha/Tevez/Rooney???????

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by frednmethod, Sep 12, 2007.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    As much as Carrick has done in a short period of time, he's still not got that attribute that we really really need. Hargreaves (I feel) has to start. If we can fit all three, as well as having Saha (or any 9) on the pitch, then I'd be all for it.

Carrick definately actually deserves to start over Hargreaves, if not for tactical reasons.

2. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I keep hearing people talk about Rooney not delivering in Europe. Um, did you all miss him completely TAKE OVER the tournament from the first Roma game until the away leg at Milan? 4 goals in 3 games, no? Including the best, most instinctive strike of the tournament.

3. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I agree that it seems Rooney is placed on the wing to try help develop a different skill set then just being an instinctive player that he naturally is. I actually think he has improved dramatically out left.

As for Nani over Park, depending on how much longer Park is out he could actually be in real danger of losing a place on the team altogether. His shooting is suspect, though his movement is great as is his workrate. If Nani has shown that he is capable of slotting in, consistently performing and providing a half way decent scoring threat, then I don't see how he would lose out to Park.

4. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think you are forgetting that Rooney has played 19 other games where he wasnt that good.

Even in the first leg of the Roma game, and the last leg of the Milan tie, he wasnt that good.

5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The way I see it, Fergie prefers experience and that could be one thing on parks side. Also I really dont see Nani as that good a finisher yet either. I think Park got a good number of goals when he was fit for us last season compared to what we usually expect from him.

6. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Park could be absolutely brilliant at a club like Everton....
    It just ain't gonna happen for him at United.

7. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have said, Rooney played on the left, not as a winger. The fact is that Fergie wants to be able to have some tactical flexibility and he wants Rooney on the pitch. If Rooney can contribute from the left or playing alone up front then that only benefits United. So many are quick to kill Fergie and Rooney for this, but at the end of last season we were starting to see the benefits.

As usual, all you have to do is watch the matches.

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Whenever Park has played for us, he's been good enough. He's had bad games and poor ones, but I think he definately has a spot on this team if he can improve his finishing.

9. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Park has to improve his play out wide. He tends to play too narrow.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's his nature to cut in. We're not even playing with traditional wingers anymore so it doesn't bother me one bit. Our crosses are coming mainly from our fullbacks. All I would like Park to work on is his finishing. If he does he can average up to 15 goals a season.

11. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think things can get too congested in the middle when Park is playing. I'd really like to see him develop so that he can contribute when he doesn't cut in.

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which means what exactly? to cross in? If he does what Ronaldo does on the opposite flank, it's enough I think.

13. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo beats plenty of defenders to the outside. Plus, its not like Park has the strength and skill to keep the ball when he goes inside like Ronaldo.

We don't play high balls into the box, but we send plenty of low, hard crosses in.

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Park may not have the technique but he's quick and he's very hard to get off the ball. A player like that can easily beat defenders. He's done so on many occasions for PSV and United, so it's not like he's totally lacking that attribute. Also, I'm sure if his finishing was better we wouldn't be having this discussion.

15. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm just cranky.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My 2 options...

a)

-------------------Saha
    -----------Tevez
    Rooney-----------------------Ronaldo
    --------Scholes-----Carrick
    Evra--------------------------Hargreaves
    --------Nemanja----Ferdinand
    ----------------VDS-----------

b)

-------------------Rooney
    -----------Tevez
    Nani---------------------------Ronaldo
    --------Scholes-----Carrick
    Evra--------------------------Hargreaves
    --------Nemanja----Ferdinand
    ----------------VDS-----------

Yes, that's Hargreaves at RB. Brown has been SHIT at RB and Hargreaves' energy on the right might actually make us an oppressive force on the wings with Evra and Harg making teams work hard defensively AND offensively with Nani and Ronaldo also doing their thing.

It would also make better use of Hargreaves' crossing ability

Park's lack of strength is much less of a factor when he plays centrally than when he's out wide. Why? Because he drifts in behind defenders or into space. He's among the best passive movers on the team. If he could shoot well he'd score a bucket of goals.

17. D-Wade

D-Wade New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    No matter what any of us think Ferguson is going to go with Tevez and Rooney.

------Saha--Tevez-----
    --------Rooney---------
    Giggs----------------Ronaldo
    ---Scholes--Hagreaves-----

I think something like that would be good against lower Offensive teams but against the big guns keep the 4-4-2

18. Nathan18

Nathan18 Member

May 24, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Going with 3 at the back, or no goalkeeper? :p

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No goalkeeper. United will revolutionize the way the game is played for sure........ :D

20. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The back 3 doesn't matter. As long as O'Shea is in goal. :)

21. rolfefan1717

rolfefan1717 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Dayton Ohio
    we've never played with 3 at the back and this is not about to change.

22. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wait till Carlos takes over, then we will see some interesting tactics.:)

23. bitTER

bitTER New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Utd havent played a 4-4-2 for about a year now other than the odd game. Reason why Fergie didnt buy another striker. Perplexing stuff though. Always atleast 2 players playing out of position in every game.

24. bitTER

bitTER New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    No. He's played virtually every game in Europe as a winger or lone striker. I'v got them on tape it's a fact. I think last season he played a couple in his natural position but it was when he was awfully out of form. Other than at the start of the season Rooney played virtually every game out of position either on the wing or as lone striker. I cant remember him playing to his normal standards in even one game. Fancy that aye?.

25. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that Saha simply has to be up front to get the best out of Rooney and Tevez in particular.

Take a look at what has happened in the England setup. They too have an array of quality support strikers/attacking midfielders in Rooney, Owen, Cole, Wright-Phillips, Gerrard, Lampard, Lennon etc but they achieve nothing.

Then, bring in a donkey like Heskey, and it's 6 goals in two games including three against a team that had conceded just once in the previous eight matches and managed by Hiddink.

I's about cohesion - it can be so much more effective than individual talent. The workhorse fuses together the talent.

In Saha we have the player - if only we can keep him fit (Heskey anyone? ;) ) Saha has three things we desperately need at the moment - strength to receive, hold and distribute the ball, height to pose an aerial threat and penalty box presence and smarts (not RvN but better than either Rooney or Tevez).

So:

......................Saha
    ........Tevez.....Rooney......Ronaldo

.............Scholes...Carrick/Hargreaves
    Evra....................................................Neville
    ...............Vidic...........Rio

.......................VDS

The choice of Carrick or Hargreaves will depend on the quality and style of the opposition.