Saha is sure to replace the Ruud twenty mark tally

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by G-boot, Aug 24, 2006.

1. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our man, Saha, will light the prem up this season. To compare him to Nistelrooy, all you have to do is look at the goal Saha scored against Charlton from the OUTER edge of the box, something Rudd simply could not do.

As much as I loved Ruud for being in the right place, time after time, we all know he was a poacher and could not offer any type of long range effort.

Not only that, but Saha is just more athletic. There is nothing more exciting in saha's play, then when he springs foward on sprint, how he just peels away from defenders. Van Nistelrooy was more of uneven galloper. And that doesn't catch the sports fan's eye nearly as much.

Thank god Saha came into form at some point of his United career. His fulham switch had me nervous for a good while there.

Glory Glory, Man United.

2. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Saha is sure to replace the Rudd twenty mark tally

Who the feck is Rudd? :confused:

3. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry ruud.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

in his defense

ruud could shoot from long distances but rarely did

he did against benfica in the 2-1 win last season - BAR

i remember an innovative one versus aston villa maybe 2,3 seasons back - BAR

he used to take free kicks at PSV so he can shoot from long distance but at United he chose not to i suppose or he didnt need to

5. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry for being pedantic on the spelling.....

By the way, it's Ruud with a capital R....... just messing with ya. :D

I too am hopeful of big things from Saha this season.

6. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    IIRC, I heard during the match yesterday that Saha has 17 goals in his last 23 starts for us. Hardly looking shoddy to me...

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    tis true i heard it too

he's in the form he showed briefly at the start of Feb when we just got him from fulham

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ruud doesn't have a rocket on him but he's very capable of scoring goals from outside the box. Opportunities seldom presented themselves when he was played as a lone striker. Once he got a steady partner and was given the opportunity to move around a bit more outside of the box he was able to demonstrate his ability a bit better. He actually scored one from outside the area last season for us and he's scored for Holland outside the box in the past.

If Saha can stay healthy he should easily top 20 league goals. Replacing Ruud however isn't something that can be done. Saha offers alot to United and certainly facilitates some of our players better than Ruud did - but that's not a reason to write off or dismiss a faithful servant to the club whose record for reaching 150 club goals will never be surpassed.

9. jasper9

jasper9 New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Plus what we should also say is since Utd reverted back to the 4-4-1-1 formation ditching the ridiculous decision to play Rooney on the wing. Rooney has scored 10 goals in 12 games. If theres no tinkering by Fergie this is gonna be one hell of a season barring injuries.

10. RednBlue

RednBlue Member

Aug 1, 2004
    USA
    too early to tell, but he'll probably do it.....hes one helluva player

11. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    saha + games = goals

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I always detested Ruud. Yes he was/is a good player, but I always prefered Saha in the lineup espically when he is fielded with Rooney and Ronaldo. Saha is more creative, mobile, and a bit more technical then Ruud. Now United are extremely lethal on the break and those 3 players seem to compliment each other so wonderfully. I believe Saha will have a amazing season with United.

13. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    In Holland Ruud actually scored one like Beckham did but not as far out I don't think:eek:

14. Rooney#8

Rooney#8 New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    MANCHESTER!
    Yeah I saw that goal, where he chipped the keeper. I don't remember what season but he was wearing PSV's away shirt at the time, it was navy blue with light blue trim. I saw him score a freekick from outside the box in pre-season last year against some club from Belgium. He can shoot from out the area he just never did. I remeber watching Holland vs Rep.Ireland a few years ago, a freindly before Euro 2004 in Amsterdam. I remember Ruud got the ball as it kinda bounced and turned on it, smashing a shot about 40 yrds out it was looping over Shay Given but then it cracked off thr bar. From what I have seen of v.Nistelrooy over the past few years he could shoot from range, but just didn't, lets he scores a few belters for Real Madrid.

Back to Saha, I can't wait for the next few games, he really is going to shine. He has never scored in the CL has he? So now he has the chance, in a few weeks time. I don't know whether he will got the top scorer for the Prem this season if another certain french forward hits top form, but then again he didn't look that good vs Aston Villa. I think Saha will push him though. I was worried before the start of the season, no Torres in, being linked with alot of strikers but not concrete, but now I am not bothered. If we did get another striker in it could spell the end for Ole or Smith. But the 8 goals in 2 games soon settled me down and now I am not botherd if we sign someone or not, I would love to get Hargreaves though ;)

15. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Saha stays healthy (and stay with me now) he will score more than Ruud!!! Ok maybe not, he doens't have that kind of time on his hands. But I think he will do well or better than Ruud in his time..

Ruud who?

16. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    In what I thought were Ruud's best performances in the Madrid tie, he started shooting from outside the area, so desperate was he to make something happen.

Before Ruud we weren't about relying on noe man for the goals anyway.

17. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Saha is great, and our team plays better with him, but show some damn respect to a player that has served us so well, and brought us so much joy for 5 years.

18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What will Saha do in Europe, and what will he do against Quality opposition. As far as I am concerned, if Smith was given as many games, and as good service, he could reach 20 goals in an enture season as well.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yea i got that match on my comp he even took a shot one time on the spin from a ways a way IIRC and hit the base of the post. casillas was frozen solid.

anyways i hope all the boys do well in europe because getting 10 goals more or less every season(barring injury & suspension) in the CL from one player is a lot to ask from Saha/Rooney/Ole etc but as usual we will find a way:)

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    saha is great, if he stays uninjured him and rooney is scary

but hes injury prone and i cant see who u have or will get to replace the dude

21. jimsmith9999

jimsmith9999 Member

Mar 30, 2006
    That remains to be seen. We really don't know what Saha is capable of yet when he gets a solid, injury free run. Lets hope we get a chance to see.

22. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Saha stays fit, he wil easily reach upwards of 20 (as Ruud did) for the nextx 3 seasons or so. Bank it, please.

23. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Damn straight! Saha is the fcuking man! An absolute beast in Winning 11 9. :cool: Even better in real life!

24. mhtwins113

mhtwins113 Member

May 9, 2005
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to resurrect this thread soon when Saha happens to go two games in a row without scoring a goal and people start bitching about how he isn't worthy to lick Ruud's boots. Just a warning. :rolleyes:

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Even if he doesn't score as many goals as Ruud. He is still better within the current system Manchester United are playing. Ronaldo and Rooney always appeared to slow down for Ruud. They no longer need to do this, because Saha will run alongside them. He also appears to be more unselfish.