SAFF Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I thought the idea of a under-16 SAFF Cup was brilliant.

The SAFF by around 2015 should have for men the SAFF Cup, the SAFF U19 Championship, SAFF U16 Championship. U23 for the South Asian Games.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its amazing that Pakistan have a place where football spectators throng to but I am just wondering... do they pay? This is my problem when it comes to the I-League where I hear about great crowds yet no pay.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I doubt they pay. Somehow I just can't see that happening. Which makes me think that if the clubs were wise (I doubt they are) then they would have food and drink on sale to make a few bucks.

I love the way that the spectators appear to sit right on the touchline. Seriously, my local league even ropes off the pitch to give the players a bit of breathing space.

Anyway, it does appear that they are mad for football in Chaman, now just need to get Lahore, Islamabad, Karachi on board.

5. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will take awhile. I have noticed that in most countries that are developing the best markets for crowds are the smaller towns like Chaman because, well, to be frank, what else is their. In India their is no other activities in states like Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim etc so that is why football is the best sport over their and can attract 30,000 a game easy however the bigger, city like areas tend to take more time for some reason.

I don't know why but that is the way I observe it.

6. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    So is the south Asian games going to start any time soon?

7. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May happen in 2014. The Indian Olympic Association is suspended by the IOC so the South Asian games are postponed. Nepal has expressed desire to host them but only Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have proper facilities apparently.

8. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I still hope the Saff Youth Cup is held prior to the AFC Youth qualifiers, a great initiative to give these 8 nations prepering as they rarely prepare for any tournement (most of them)

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Th 2013 Pakistan Premier leaue will feature the following clubs:

Khan Research Laboratories (KRL), KESC, Muslim FC, Army, PAF, National Bank, Navy, PIA, Chaman’s Afghan FC, Nushki’s Baloch FC, WAPDA, Habib Bank, Karachi Port Trust (KPT), Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited (ZTBL) and the newly promoted outfits Pak Afghan Clearing Agency (PACA) of Chaman and Faisalabad’s University FC.

Six teams will be relegated, to make a 12 team campaign for the 2014 season.

Things starting to happen now in Pakistan..

http://www.footballpakistan.com/2013/06/twelve-teams-to-feature-in-ppfl/

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's funny, just reading about the Sri Lankan league on the statistics website www.rsssf.com and they have expanded from 12 clubs to 20 this year!!

Two groups of 10, top four in each enter the next phase.

Does anyone know much about Sri Lankan domestic league football??

11. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Other than its crap... no. :)

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Since we know jack about it, it could be Tika Taka type football on offer every match day played on beach like pitches :)

13. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    They are terrible. Their best team lost 6-0 to a cambodian team

14. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If it is Tiki-taka then it is boring. I don't know why but I find Tika-whatever boring.

Pass, pass, pass, pass back to defense, repeat.

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    That wasn't there best team. The champions were Ratnam and they didn't play Presidents Cup in 2012 and 2013 when they could have.

In fact Cambodian sides aren't terrible. Phnom Penh Crown made the final in 2011.

16. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Maybe you should stop supporting Arsenal? :p:D

17. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We are not Tiki-Taka.

18. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Its called sell players. Completely different strategy. [​IMG]

19. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Almost like Juventus and almost every Italian team is to the German, Spanish, and English sides.

20. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Afghanistan u16 0-0 Pakistan u16
    Nepal u16 7-0 bhutan u16

21. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
  22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I thought I posted something yesterday in this thread that doesn't appear to be here, but SAFF are disappointed with India..India aren't moving in the direction they want to have such an event, to the point that SAFF want all member associations playing or not host at all.

Same thing has happened in the ASEAN region.

To be honest though, i'd prefer a regional competition, crown a champion, and that champion goes to Asian Champions League (re-formatted version) - do away with AFC Presidents Cup for example, semi finalists go to AFC Cup - this kind of thing.

Wouldn't it be great for a regional club championship? But maybe first, have sustainable domestic leagues? Pakistan want Club Championship but can't form a suitable domestic league to begin with. Walk before run comes to mind

edrees and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  23. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Who has current pictures of Sri Lanka's 35,000 capacity Sugathadasa Stadium in soccer mode?

24. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    It looks like AIFF are stamping their authority on choosing a venue for the next SAFF Championship. Although World Sports Group wants the matches to be played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Delhi, AIFF are very reluctant to do it again. We as fans don't want to see the matches being played at an empty stadium (although AIFF are, predictably, more worried about the cost of renting the JN Stadium for the course of the tournament).

Instead, AIFF say there's a high chance of the matches being played in Chandrasekaran Stadium in Trivandrum, Kerala, which is the southernmost state of India. If this is true, it's good for Maldivian fans, because we have a huge population there, also direct flights from Male' does no harm as well. Bangalore (also a popular destination for Maldivians) and Goa have also expressed interest, but AIFF seem to have their eyes set on Kerala. We'll see...