SAFF Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Maldives U-23 team has been invited to play a 4-team friendly tournament in Indonesia, to be held from 20-24th of this month. FAM say they are 90% certain that they are going to accept the invitation (whatever the hell that means). Practice sessions in preparation for the tournament have already begun. The other 3 teams that are participating are U-23 teams of Indonesia, Myanmar and Papua New Guinea.

2. Deranged

Deranged Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Your Head
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    KRL has been drawing a fair few times this season

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    They've had a hell of a fixture list to contend with though, they started about 10 games behind everyone else due to the Presidents Cup and looks like a hectic fixture list has hindered them.

4. Deranged

Deranged Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Your Head
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    How the hell do you get this info? I'm in England and can't find nothing about Pakistani league expect for the website

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    www.futbol24.com - for fixtures/results

www.footballpakistan.com - everything Pakistan football.

6. Deranged

Deranged Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Your Head
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  7. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Yesterday was the election for the president and vice president positions for SAFF. Does someone know the results?

Also, one agenda point was the launch of SAFF Club championship, is it agreed?

8. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Kazi Salahuddin re-elected SAFF president [DAWN]

For the next term — from 2014 to 2018 — Shah will be joined by Ugeyen Dorgi of Bhuthan and Football Federation of Sri Lanka (FFSL) chief Ranjith Rodrigo as vice-presidents of South Asia’s football governing body.
    In the elections for the post, Rodrigo received six out of seven votes in the eight-member SAFF with Afghanistan not being present for the Congress.

http://www.footballpakistan.com/2014/03/kazi-salahuddin-re-elected-saff-president-dawn/

9. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    What if this means Afghanistan will leave saff o_Oo_O

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It doesn't mean they will leave, It just means that in this 4 year period 2014-2018 they shouldn't complain/argue about any decisions made by SAFF since they decided to not attend the congress.

11. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Actually, there are discussions about Afghanistan leaving SAFF. In an event hosted by Tajikistan Football Federation last week, the representatives from 4 Central Asian Countries, Afghanistan and Iran did discuss formation of the Central Asian Football Federation.

Mani repped this.
  12. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    That would be a huge step in the right direction for Afghanistan I hope it happens.

Mani repped this.
  13. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I think both Saff and Caff should combine..
    There is no point having 13 nations into 2 federations

14. Dmed10

Dmed10 Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Pakistan
    I pretty much agree

15. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I think there is talk that CAFF will be re-organised and will include Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgystan and Turkmenistan. Reason Iran wants to be apart of it is that it wants to move away from the "west Asian teams and further develop neighboring counties. Afghanistan is counted as central asian which is why they are potentially included (and will move away from SAFF)

16. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I think this would help develop the smaller Central Asian teams allot since they would play allot more matches every year.

17. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    It doers make sense developing CAFF as at the moment its only 4 nations and they do not have any regional tournaments (besides CIS Cup with other ex soviet nations), plus Iran is in central asia (Not west) as is Afghanistan.

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Guys, all this talk of CAFF? There isn't actually a CAFF at the moment is there?

19. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    There is but there isnt.. if that makes sense..

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Eh?
    You mean to tell me that there is an organization that doesn't actually do anything???

I'm all for a CAFF 'working' organisation. I'm not too bothered about senior international matches, but they would help age related sides prepare better.

21. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    So what's the latest news regarding Afghanistan's switch to CAFF? I think the AFC Challenge Cup proved that CAFF nations need more match practice at international level. And by that I mean against national teams, not Russian regional 3rd division clubs. Such an allegiance might prove useful for those nations, although with the proposed qualifying format by AFC, the regional competitions look set to be vital stepping stones for junior age groups rather than being the Holy Grail for the emerging/developing nations.

Speaking of which, the 2014 Mahinda Rajapaksa International Football Trophy is scheduled to be held in Addu City later this year. It will act mainly as a preparatory tournament for Under-23 teams of Maldives, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka ahead of the Asian Games in Incheon.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Is it not a merger of CAFF and SAFF that they are planning on doing?

23. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    No merger, but Afghanistan are Iran are planning to join CAFF.

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The Congress further approved the proposal of the IR Iran Football Federation regarding the in-principle creation of a “Central” zone (Afghanistan, IR Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) which shall be recognised in the AFC Statutes. As a result, the “South & Central” zone shall be split into two zones

http://www.the-afc.com/en/about-afc...y-prevails-at-afc-extraordinary-congress.html

25. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    So Afghanistan are all but out of SAFF region.