Safety concerns for Americans?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by 00Kevin, Jun 11, 2022.

1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be going along to Qatar. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on safety concerns visiting Qatar, especially as Americans. I've never traveled much outside of the country before so I appreciate any thoughts!
    Kevin

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going. As I did Brazil where some folks said I’d never make it out alive. I always felt safe, but you have to be smart and safe. Same as visiting New York, Miami or any other place. All the traveling supporters will certainly attract thief’s and grifters but Doha is reputed to be a very very safe place.

00Kevin repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    NNNJJJ and 00Kevin repped this.
  4. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Doha and Dubai are both very safe and at the world cup you can even be a loud obnoxious flag waving american tourist and no one would mind :D

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The biggest risk in Dubai is literally getting in a huge pileup on Sheikh Zayed Road one foggy morning. Or being a pain-in-the-ass British tourist (for some reason, all British expats I've encountered in the Gulf still think the Empire owns the place, and act accordingly, especially while drunk).

Anyway, since the fog in Qatar is also legendary, I presume their commuting woes are similar.

Also, Abu Dhabi is cooler than Dubai.

6. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's good to know! Was planning to check out both cities and Al Ain at the Asian Cup in 19 but plans kinda fell apart last minute. Will give it another try someday ;)

00Kevin repped this.
  7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I have a bias, because I spent 95% of my time in Abu Dhabi over several years, but Dubai strikes me as some weird Disney in the desert built for tourists and expats. Anthony Bourdain's use of Shelley's "Ozymandias" to lead in to his episode on Dubai was a fitting choice.

Chesco United and 00Kevin repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Bro.... there are zero safety concerns.

OwlSaver, NNNJJJ, 00Kevin and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not concerned at all from a safety perspective. All of the research that I've done on Doha/Qatar indicates that it is extremely safe.

Chesco United repped this.