News: Saer Sene has torn ACL

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just announced by the team... Saer Sene is out for the remainder of the season with a torn left ACL.

2. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link

Ouch :( The turf strikes again.

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many non-contact knee injuries have occurred at Gilette?
    The players association should look into this. The surface may very well be unsafe to play on. You certainly can't play proper soccer on it.

Revolution909, patfan1 and pwykes repped this.
  4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are the odds they sign another forward before roster freeze? Slim and none. Probably 9 months of recovery. That puts him back around May give or take. Do they sign a forward during the off season or will they take the sit and wait attitude like they did with Twellman? Gut tells me the later. Less effort by the FO

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Sene will be named Revs Player of the Year for 2012, then not re-signed for 2013. Where have I heard that before? Hint: It rhymes with Marko Perovic....

Revolution909 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it wasn't his right knee. He doesn't use that leg anyway.

pwykes and Revolution909 repped this.
  7. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the NFLPA complains it will not change.

RevSoccerMV repped this.
  8. Throwball

Throwball New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution909 repped this.
  9. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
  10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Perovic, Koevermans, Sene...anyone else?

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a non-contact injury at Gillette in 09 or something, right? basically ended his career?

Brendan Schimmel wrote a pretty comprehensive article on the turf at Gillette on TBM

This is a very good point. This also means that we won't really know what Sene is capable of until after next season, when he is 100% and the league has seen what he brings to the table & adapted.

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing. He's probably made his last appearance for the Revo.
    Thanks Saer, you provided most of the entertainment for the '12 season.

14. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a tough break! He made Rev games very exciting! Hopefully he has a speedy recovery( a la Omar Gonzales).

15. BBruin66

BBruin66 Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Bangor
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be better news as it's not his plant foot. Which I would think is more likely to receive damage, although you land a lot on your kicking foot, so... maybe not...

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's not comprehensive at all - it's anecdotal. I had the opposite experience - tore mine on grass and have had no problems on turf. What does that prove? Nothing.

OTOH, there have been many standards-based studies that show no significant differences in major injuries of different types (including ACL tears).

17. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Is it really worth it for a young player to attempt to play in NE on field turf knowing the possibility of a career ending injury is a higher percentage? Pretty risky IMO.

18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Citation needed

19. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ACL tears are no longer career ending injuries in any sport. Also does the field turf suck, yep. It is bad for the game itself yes

But roughly 7000 (between both sports)players have played on the turf since 2007. And about 12-15 guys have torn their ACL on the field. So I think it is a little blown out of proportion.

It's-A-Trap repped this.
  20. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    interesting...
    http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/38/4/687.full.pdf

CONCLUSION
    Although similarities did exist between FieldTurf and natural grass over the 3-year period of competitive play, there
    were significant differences in injury incidence, severity of
    injury, injury time loss, injury situation, grade of injury,
    injuries under various field conditions, and temperature.
    No significant differences in head, knee, or shoulder trauma
    were observed between playing surfaces. Both surfaces,
    from a statistical and clinical standpoint, exhibited unique
    injury mechanisms that need to be addressed to reduce the
    number of game-related collegiate football injuries. The
    hypothesis that collegiate athletes would not experience
    any difference in the incidence, mechanisms, and severity
    of game-related injury between FieldTurf and natural
    grass was not supported. FieldTurf is in many cases safer
    than natural grass. However, the findings of this study
    are generalizable to only this level of competition. Because
    this study is still in the early stages, investigation is
    ongoing.
    ACKNOWLEDGMENT
    This research was funded by FieldTurf, Montreal, Canada

Achowat repped this.
  21. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    There were a number of problems with this study as it pertains to professional soccer.
    • Already mentioned: One or more authors has declared a potential conflict of interest: "Research was funded by FieldTurf, Montreal, Quebec, Canada". I wondered about some oddities like the fact that twice as many heat-related injuries occurred on natural grass as occurred on FieldTurf. This led me to wonder if the comparison was legitimate.
    • The study was about American football, not soccer, which means that the natural grass surfaces were much more torn up in the football games than they would have been in the soccer games. The condition of the fields can not have been addressed as a factor, because (particularly in a retrospective study), there was no way to quantify it. The destruction of the natural grass surface might reasonably be thought to increase the likelihood of injuries.
    • The vast majorities of the injuries are very football-related. The leading two categories of injury causes were blocking and tackling
    • American football is played on frozen ground, which would be more likely to be conducive to injury on a natural surface. The authors talked about trying to avoid game days with precipitation, but scant details are given (e.g. the authors distinguish between hot days > 70°, and cold days < 69°).
    • Specific knee injuries are alluded to ("No significant differences in head, knee, or shoulder trauma were observed between playing surfaces."), and anatomically quantified in the appendix (which was good), but the method of injury (turn, fall, contact, etc) was described in terms of:
      "Player-to-player collision, Player-to-turf collision, Shoe surface (contact), Shoe surface (non-contact), and Muscle-tendon overload".
      The latter is the one we would be most interested in, and is not described further.
    In short, the study doesn't have much to say to us.

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said Jon. The study probably doesn't provide many details about muscle-tendon overload because that would not have helped the argument of a turf study by a vendor with a vested interest in the survey results.

I played on the turf at WPI. Painful doesn't even do justice If you fall on that stuff.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does WPI have Field Turf now? When I went there (a LONG time ago), the base was sand, not the rubber pellets that Field Turf uses. Not fun.

24. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played at Clark and hurt myself every single time I played on that godforsaken turf that WPI had. I hope it is FieldTurf now - that would be miles better than that old school crap, even if it sucks compared to a beautiful grass field.

25. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes. I found this aspect of the article the most damaging. Love how it's footnoted at the end after leading the reader to believe it's non-biased.

Not many articles out there on the soccer front...more research needs to happen. Perhaps it's because the sport isn't as popular as American football and just doesn't garner the public's attention? Also turf is not used as much abroad? Who knows.

This article speaks a bit more to the issue, but again..more research is needed.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100120093523.htm

The old WPI field brings back very fond memories for me...played on it once when we won the MIAA Soccer Div. II State Championship. Worth every turf burn!