Sad news

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mutinywxgirl, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Well folks, I just wanted to let you know that I'm moving back to FL in about 5 weeks. My parents are elderly and I need to be with them right now.

I'm going to HATE being away from soccer and being away from DCU. Guess it means following from afar and via the internet, and flying into town for really BIG games :)

Anyway, I won't stay away - how can I? I just love this team (man, Wed was such a fun game to watch!) and it will be an honor to spread the word of DCU back down in Tampa.

Once I'm settled, I'll pass along all the pertinent information.

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Best wishes, I hope things work out. Don't be a stranger to the Boards.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to you back in Florida. By the way, where are your parents? My parents live in Florida too ............ Tampa Bay area (Pinellas Park).

4. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Then I'll be working in their backyard! I'm in St. Pete, and I have a job in a hair salon on US 19 in PP. Too funny! You'll have to come by!!!! I'll proudly have my DCU scarf over my station! :D

Actually, I'll be working in the salon part time and I'm applying for a job in Clearwater in Disaster Management (my field of study in school). Keep your fingers crossed - I REALLY want this job!

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with the job and everything else.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Good luck and hang in there.

7. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Best of success to you! Don't be a stranger . . .

8. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope your Ps are all right -- if not, I hope you've got a strong support group. Don't forget to live your life too!

Be seein ya! Watch out fer dem hurrycanes! :D

GM

9. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Best of luck - there's always a spot for you at RFK.

10. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disaster management on the west coast of Florida. Naaah! Never happen!

Having been through the elderly parent gig myself, do what's right but look out for yourself. Get your rest and downtime. Be available but don't be ubiquitous. Consult a good lawyer, do your financial planning. Prepare for the worst, and then don't worry about it because you can't avoid it.

The DCU diaspora welcomes you, because it's great to meet another United fan so far from home.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, my parents are right there in good old PP. Ain't that funny. LOL Well, I absolutely wish you the best of luck in getting the job you want, and I will certainly give you a holla when i head down there. I guess you are going to be right there where Pinellas Park Mall is (or was, because I know they were in the process of closing it down a couple of years ago).

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words - direct kick. Good luck with the 'rents.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange how you're in Disaster Management but you didn't get a job with the Metros..... :D

Good thing about the internet, DC is just as virtually as far away from NY as it is from Florida. But you may be able to jump on some cheap flights via Southwest.

Best of luck to you.

14. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a pleasure reading you here and on the Referee Board, so I echo the "don't be a stranger" sentiment. Good luck in the Tonsorial Arts, and I hope you quickly have a new and better-paying place to hang that United scarf. :)

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Our thoughts are with you and we wish you all the best but remember...

Dulles is a hub for Delta Airlines! :)

16. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes to our resident weather girl! Certainly hope all goes well for you, we'll keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers. And you can be thinkful for one thing, at least there aren't as many Scum supporters in that neck of the woods. :D

Cheers,
    Rob

17. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks everyone - you guys are so awesome! I certainly do hope to make it up to several key games. Actually I'm hoping to be on here even more!

18. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    I've been to Florida a couple of times during preseason training. There are always several MLS exhibitions you can see, usually at the Soccer Academy in Bradenton. I saw DCU vs. the Metros there a few years ago. Jamie was freshly back with the team, plus Freddy and Coach Nowak were both new, so it was interesting even though it was very early training. They also play friendlies with College teams, like at the USF campus. You should keep your eyes open for some of these types of games next Spring (well, it will be Spring in Florida in Feb and early March). DCU could easily be there.

19. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Wish you and your parents well down in Florida...

Well, another silver lining is at least we now have another resident correspondent in the area, if DC does their pre-season down there, since St. Pete's right across the bridge from Bradenton.

Good luck and stay cool!

EDIT: Just re-read it and that last line of mine kinda sounded like a high school year book quote... sorry about that... shoulda probably said, keep outta the heat.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I second all that's been said above. I've been struggling with ailing pparents for a couple of years now. Your parents are lucky to have you.

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I went to Bradenton this past pre-season and had an absolute blast. I hope to do it again next year.