Sacramento Republic FC: former partners, future rivals

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Dec 7, 2015.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #801 JazzyJ, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Man, poor Sac. It was - we're getting a franchise (have investor), then we're not, then we are (new investor), then it's delayed, what, 2 years(?), and then, just kidding.

The elephant in the room is that, if we are entering into a new world of multiple sustained pandemics, i.e. if we don't believe that COVID is a one-off, or even that there will be no COVID strains that really cause huge problems, pro sports are going to suffer. There is simply more perceived risk in the investment than there was pre-COVID. It would be like if you had invested in coffee, and all of sudden some vicious "coffee beetle" or something starts ravaging the crops. Even if you think that the industry will get over the "coffee beetle", you don't feel quite the same about the investment.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

********in little shits. Always talking so much shit about "owning California" and how they are going to outspend us and "show us the way" of having a real team with "legit" fans.

I don't mind their team joining, but their fans are ********in annoying as shit. I'm just glad they get to eat some humble pies.

4. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the political climate and added complications and restrictions because of Covid....? I think the feeling is that having full stadiums won't be *allowed* even long after the big threat is gone. Much like 911 changes are travel, so did this change the rest of society at least for a number of years (decade?) going forward.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Another person (Stejskal) who is not really getting the effect the pandemic is having on the league. Don't think the price is going up, at least not in the short term.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine that, fans talking smack on the internet. :rolleyes:

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How do you like that? Sac has its own Tony Amanpour. Copycats!!!

NedZ and Beerking repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Turned out that Amanpour was apourman, relatively speaking.

Beerking and sacrxy repped this.
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't decide if what Sac has dealt with it better or worse than what Quakes fans went through 15 years ago. I mean we did lose a team, but we got a new proven ownership group 7 months later, and confirmation the team was coming back 18 months later. That said the team taken away was multi championship caliber, and the team we got back has largely... not been.

Sac fans on the other hand have had the rug pulled out from under them multiple times, and this time it's very likely a fatal blow to their MLS hopes after being jacked around by MLS and then the ownership group for the better part of 4 years.

Only conclusion I can draw... both blow.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't they have cut costs and built a half ass stadium like the Quakes did? Like may be with just two sides and bars at each end.:rolleyes:

In the end, other than making it over for a road game occasionally, the news doesn't mean anything to me. MLS has been dead to me for a while and the currents current ownership is killing my desire to watch pro soccer anymore.

bobby_guzman and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think cutting costs was the issue. It looks like their heavy hitter, Burkle, was big in the hospitality industry, the same that COVID has essentially murdered. He never made any of the expansion payments by the due dates nor submitted the full contract to buy the team (essentially MLS announced before pen had hit paper which was just moronic).

Someone on the Sac board posted a large chunk of an article in the Atlantic which makes it sound like MLS had been having buyers remorse about the Sac entry since before they approved it but they felt bound to do so after Garber's 2015 comments. That this is good news as far as the league is concerned as they never wanted to be in Sac anyway in favor of more appealing markets like Phoenix or San Diego. So this is likely all she wrote about Sacramento MLS :(

Clown show move by an often clown show league all around, that was just exacerbated by the pandemic.

bsman repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Quakes didn't "cut costs" on their stadium, at least relative to initial plans they actually increased their budget by large amounts, I think at the behest of D. Kav. I don't know the exact numbers, but seems to me costs wound up approximately doubling.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of what we got, it was over sold. In terms of what they paid, it was undersold. That's the reality of construction. Whatever you plan on paying, make sure to plan on paying a whole lot more before its actually done. That said... at least it's real. May have been a bit more basic, and a bit late, but it got built and was more or less what was promised. Can't say the same for so many other stadium projects even right there in the Bay Area. This week's new Oakland A's stadium renderings are what, the 26th version in 26 years? Raiders never got their stadium in Oakland and now they're gone. Niners never got their SF stadium and had to settle for an overpriced hotel with tacked on erector set in Santa Clara.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It wasn't just cost overrun on plans though. I think Kaval pushed for a lot of upgrades.

17. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    But then if Sac paid full or at least partial expansion payments and Burkle didn't decide to withdraw, the clown show league would not be able to pull the clown show move. Each side has to fulfill its responsible parts. When you don't do yours, you shouldn't also expect the other party to do it.

This is ultimately down to no money.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly it's on a lot of folks up there. I mean yes, Burkle didn't pay. But WTF was MLS doing announcing the club before they had payment and a contract? Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  19. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the part I don't understand at all. You can work on trust in business in very few circumstances. Typically it's when you're dealing with a known associate with a proven direct track record with you and the expose is small. $200 million is not a small amount to be working without a contract especially for this long. My guess is that there was some acting in good faith while a few details were worked out. That dragged. The lack of contract stayed quiet. Then the pandemic and lawyers agreeing there was no way MLS could hold them to anything. (Not to mention that MLS, aside from saving face, wouldn't want to force an investor into something he no longer wanted to do when they think there are other options our there.)

bobby_guzman repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The city was also demanding that the stadium be upgraded.

bobby_guzman, xbhaskarx and JazzyJ repped this.
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized — this means SAC can be our USL team again!

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until they fold. From what it sounds like from their board, their ownership is MLS or bust. They aren’t positioned to remain long therm in USL.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who know if this is true or not... we’ll find out if/when they announce a new ownership group.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article249617068.html

Sac Mayor: “My phone is ringing off the hook, I can’t be specific (about who is calling) at this point but there is already significant interest being expressed from some major investors and that is exactly what we want.”

24. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    A new stadium at the rail yards redevelopment is a major part of that project. I imagine they don't really want to go back to redesigning the whole thing if they don't have to.

sacrxy repped this.