Sacramento Republic FC: former partners, future rivals

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Dec 7, 2015.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find an active thread for the Sacramento Republic here, and I think there should be one given the recent MLS announcement that the league is looking to expand to 28 teams. Right now the Sacramento Republic are our affiliates in USL, but in just a few years they could be our rivals in MLS.
    Whenever a new team joins the league, fans whine about "artificial rivalries created by the league" but they inevitably become very real. For the latest example see the New York Red Bulls and New York City FC. With LAFC and Sacramento both joining the league in the near future, it's not far-fetched to imagine a scenario where the rivalry between the Quakes and Galaxy becomes the secondary rivalry for both teams, supplanted by Galaxy vs LAFC and Quakes vs Republic.

So, this thread is for the discussion of Sacramento Republic FC as it relates to the San Jose Earthquakes.
    [not for cheering them on, there is a separate forum for that]

The latest developments:

The Sacramento Republic unveiled their plans for an MLS stadium:
    -$226 million
    -25,000 seats
    -at the city's downtown railyard

Sacramento city council approved preliminary term sheet for soccer stadium

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real reason I wanted to create this thread was this series of tweets:

I've never heard this before, territorial rights, expiring in 2017 or 2020... Do the Quakes have a check coming their way from the Republic as compensation for lost territory? Would they not get any money if Sacramento didn't join MLS until after their rights expired?

3. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, because a derby is not a clásico.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I originally posted here earlier this year:

Indeed! There's no reason why both the California Clásico and the California Cup couldn't co-exist. :)

The California Clásico will always be just between the San Jose Earthquakes and the Los Angeles Galaxy (notice that C.D. Chivas USA had never been a part of it), which has and will continue to be for California "MLS Original Ten" bragging rights.

Conversely, the California Cup will obviously involve an actual cup and will involve all California-based MLS teams. While that'll only be the Earthquakes and the Galaxy for the upcoming season, it'll likely then also incorporate Los Angeles FC and (if they end up entering the league) Sacramento Republic FC, as well as any other possible future California MLS expansion teams such as the San Francisco San Franciscans, the Oakland Oaklanders and/or the San Diego San Diegans, among others.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SackRepublik look like they mean business. They do not have a "small club" mentality. Our team must grow up.

Grant Wahl used to do an article about MLS team's ambition. Well, we're pretty far down the ambitionometer, whereas SackRepublik are climbing that ladder fast.

We need to sign some serious players, and more uptodate coaches, and we need to win some silverware. We don't do any serious scouting. We don't invest enough in our academy. We lose patience with younger players after one or two bad games. We rely on ageing players. We're cheap.

If we don't get off the dime, we will be overtaken in our own backyard by the Republik.

I am not optimistic. Maybe Doyle's long-term grand plan is to self-relegate to NASL where we can be big fish?

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

bobby_guzman repped this.
  6. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing will touch Quakes v Galaxy.
    The games we've played, the history, the trophies, Nor Cal vs So Cal, est, nothing can top it.

cpwilson80, QuietType and don gagliardi repped this.
  7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing can be said, is the traveling support for games between the SJ and Sac NorCal derby is going to be fantastic.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope both teams allow for a large travelling contingent.

QuietType, QuakesForever and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes FO did a good job with their away supporters in Open Cup.
    Hopefully Sac's new stadium doesn't have the same security/police as Bonney Field..
    I wonder if our FO will provide buses for traveling fans like Sac did?

10. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Foul language is not tolerated so much in Middle America.

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't be. And most likely not, at least not for the SGs, officially.
    Watch your ******* mouth, some of us live in Sac. ;)
    Sac actually reminds me a lot of San Jose, at least the older neighborhoods. Combination of the age, flatness, and the "big but not too big" city thing.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can joke like that because I live even further east now.

And yes, SJ and Sac are perfect complements. This derby was destined.

bobby_guzman and QuietType repped this.
  13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really spend any time in Sac but I was running around there last Sunday and was really impressed. Sac will have it going on with the new downtown arena and the soccer stadium within walking distance.

It'll make for great road trips, at least for night games.

14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything, make a tour around a few of the breweries/tap houses in town! Worth the time of you make the trip all the way up here.

15. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Given that the new stadium, when built, will be at the old Sacramento rail yards, it would be really cool if there was enough fan interest in San Jose to organize at least one train excursion to a game there. It is not easy, nor is it inexpensive to run an "extra" passenger train, but it can be done. The most likely scenario would be using CalTrain or ACETrain equipment, but Amtrak California equipment might be available too (it would be the most comfortable). San Jose to Sacramento would not require running on any special trackage, as Capitol Corridor trains operate the route daily (but likely not a schedule that would facilitate games).

DotMPP and QuietType repped this.
  16. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Sac's riverfront. Love it. Wish San Jose would one day work on the Guadalupe "Creek" and get a small riverfront going.

17. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, San Jose is not all flat. We have 3 hills in the south-central part of the City (Communication Hill-Cherry Hill-Dairy Hill area) with one being accessible to the public (Communication Hill). We also have the mountain surrounding us with many vista points on the eastern mountains and hills. By end of next year, we'll also have vista points from the South with Mt. Umunhum open to the public, with 360-deg view at 4,000 ft.

So no, we're not flat as a pancake like Sac. But you have a beautiful river :) So it all balances out. You guys need some highrises, though, throw them up. You don't have the airport blocking you like here in San Jose, so throw them up.

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well obviously there are mountains surrounding the central city and some hills. Sac surprisingly has some topography on the grid too. I'm pretty sure high rises in both are pretty comparable, my big beef is Sac's are too spread out and not condensed downtown enough. Hopefully changes in the next decade. We need an ambitious plan like the residential towers a while back that got cancelled.

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool, but it would seem that there is just the couple hundred yards or so from Julian to the RR tracks, on the west side, that has not been worked into a park or a building.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm all for the partnership as long as the Quakes don't have to come anywhere near those god-awful beige kits, other than an occasional friendly. In fact we should make them the de facto home team in every match we play with them so that they can wear their home kit rather than "the beige".