Sacramento MLS Expansion (non-local)

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by antnee7898, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if anything, I think attendance trumps footprint from a business standpoint. I've followed the league for a while. The first wave of DPs (Beckham et al) brought a small uptick in viewing interest, but my sense is that the PNW teams brought a whole lot more interest than Becks did. Never underestimate the effect of a full stadium on TV audiences. I've never even lived in Cascadia, and I've met a lot more people who started watching the league because they heard about Seattle and Portland fans than people who started watching because of marquee players.

2. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Republic will be more like Portland 2.o. Won't have a stadium as big as Seattle. But will be bigger than Providence Park with just as intense atmosphere, especially if the lower bowl seats are basically on top of the players like at SKC

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just some house cleaning items as we move around the Sacramento threads.

From here on out, this thread will be for non-Sacramento posters who want to discuss Sac's MLS bid, including questions and answers.

If you are a local Sacramento fan and want to discuss the MLS bid, please use this thread.

Let me know if you have comments or concerns. Happy posting.

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May locals respond if non-locals are asking questions here?

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, you just STAY in the room....and make sure he doesn't leave.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes of course. This long thread started with mostly non-locals talking Sac. I didn't have the heart to close it. But yes I envisioned non-locals mainly posting in this thread and locals maybe answering the questions as they come up.

This is a new method we are using so we'll learn together as we go. Thanks.

QuietType repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If you look at the off-topic thread, you'll see that maybe there is a need (or at least a warrant) for a non-locals thread. A lot of people don't really know much about Sacramento. Or they think Sacramento is the same as it was 20 years ago. As this push to MLS continues, it probably would be good to have a place where we can dispel a few misconceptions. At the same time it may not be necessary to continue with this old behemoth. Let's see what happens.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is a fluff piece no doubt, if they were to enter the league next year though theyd go through the motions like any other expansion team through the expansion draft, superdraft, and their own acquisitions to be ready in time for MLS. There would probably be 3 maybe 4 holdovers on the whole roster, much like when Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, et al joined.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I read the headline and lead in a more charitable way than you. I think it's the press actively stoking the MLS to Sacramento fires, which is a hell of a thing if you think about it.

And level of play aside, if you look at the organization, the entire game experience at Bonney, and the way Sacramento has embraced the team, then I think you have to concede that SRFC and Sacramento are ready for MLS. There may be bigger markets angling for an MLS team, but there's no market out there that's as risk-free as Sacramento is for MLS.

Elninho repped this.
  11. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You are wrong in that the organization of Sac Republic is ready right now. Expansion draft , supplemental , out of contract players. They have professionals on board who could go about fielding a team in 2015. The temporary facility is better already and would be bigger than Buckshaw. The supporters group size, intensity, creativity and in- stadium atmosphere would rival the best in MLS at the get go, winning or losing on the field. Could a newly fashioned MLS side compete with the best MLS teams ? Probably not. Most expansion teams don't. But that's not the point.

Elninho and Robdog repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they are #Built4MLS ....

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anyone quoted in the story as saying the current Sacramento Republic roster is competitive in MLS. I don't think anyone involved in the club actually believes that. But the club is also the only lower-division organization in the MLS era that I've ever thought could handle the transition to MLS in four months (and if anything is "the exception that proves the rule"). I've heard some say that it's basically a MLS team playing in the USL; I don't think that's true of the roster, but it's definitely true off the field.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've actually only heard that stated (and claimed) for the FO and coaching staff.

15. The8000

The8000 New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Look at Orlando's latest roster moves for the move to MLS...they kept Molino, Ceren and some very young players and players they brought in recently on MLS contracts. As much as we love the current team the reality is very few of the current squad will play in MLS for Sacramento.

The organization has been brilliant for first year but they still have some areas where significant improvement needs to occur - season ticket management and expanding marketing decisions to target everyone who comes to watch great soccer are two areas from personal experience.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Chivas being put on hiatus (read "contraction), you guys are in a prime position to move into the 24 by 2020 category. If you guys get it together, you could come in with Atlanta in 2017 because it looks like Miami won't be ready by then.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp, but the rest i agree with

18. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, it looks like I spoke too soon on the revised L.A. No. 2. Looks like L.A. No. 2 has a very strong ownership team lined up.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.