Sacramento MLS Expansion (non-local)

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by antnee7898, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mayor Johnson said a stadium planned for 2018 in the Railyards at press conference

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  2. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    513086275910656000 is not a valid tweet id

So, assume Sacramento is awarded a MLS franchise in December.

Do they:
    play MLS for two seasons at Bonney (2016 expansion)
    play one season at Bonney (2017)
    open the new stadium in MLS (2018 expansion)??

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think they can play in an expanded Bonney immediately and as long as needed.

And I think they'd enter MLS whenever it made sense -- i.e. to keep an even number of teams, for example.

4. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that the process to buy the land is sped up so that shovels can be in the ground by next year. It would make sense with the even team desire to have 22 teams in 2017. But it all hinges on what the heck will happen with Chivas/LA2.:cautious:

5. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The hold up won't be the purchase, esp. with the land owner (Kelley) as an investor.

The delay is in the finishing of the infrastructure. They are finishing up the main road/utilities for west of 7th St. They haven't started on the east side of 7th yet, and that is where the stadium is going. Granted the east side land is smaller, and a good portion will be occupied by the stadium, but they still have to run the utilities network. That will occur in 2015 (IIRC)

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so awesome. Sacramento means business. I wonder how big the stadiums gonna be

7. sugit

sugit Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Some good comments from the press conference today :

SacRepublicFC ‏@SacRepublicFC 2m
    "I've learned a lot [here]...the people in Sacramento have such a pride here...I've never experienced anything quite like it." -Abbott

SacRepublicFC ‏@SacRepublicFC 18s
    "I leave incredibly impressed with what I've seen here and I'm looking forward to learning more. I couldn't have had a greater 27 hr"- Abbott

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler
    59s
    Abbott: "I leave incredibly impressed"

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 2m
    MLS Dep. Commissioner Abbott says railyard soccer stadium is “a really great idea.”

*Even Cobi Jones was there! Maybe a possible investor? He's been to a game this year as well.

SacRepublicFC ‏@SacRepublicFC 29s
    .@KJ_MayorJohnson brings up @cobijones to the stage! #BuiltForMLS

SacRepublicFC ‏@SacRepublicFC 35s
    "This is all based off your hard work. I saw the same excitement I felt at the start of @MLS" -@cobijones #BuiltForMLS

SacRepublicFC ‏@SacRepublicFC 14s
    "Based on what I've seen here I don't think there's anything that will stop you going where you want." -@cobijones #BuiltForMLS

[​IMG]

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeahhh, i think its time Sacramento gets its own little city subsection now. Mods? can we make that a thing?

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, I was under the impression that this was effectively done when Kelley signed on. (Though, as I've said before, I'm not too sure about the practice field site. I'd sure like to know who owns that.)
    Some of this probably could be done concurrently with stadium construction, so I'm not sure one has to follow the other. Still, it's a lot of work and that just takes time.

10. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The real news here is the 2018 target....... I have little doubt the SSS will get done and expansion deal signed this year. The question is when does Republic enter MLS?
    It could be 2016 , 2017 or 2018. I think MLS looks at it as depending on what happens with LA2 and MIA and Minnesota's bid ( for example imagine Minnesota's different factions coming together for a unified bid out of alarm they will be left out of the target 24 -- not that the league stops at 24 but they could put the brakes on expansion a few years) It's seems absurd at first but MLS is a single entity operation. They want all the moving parts to be in harmony.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No. Absolutely no. I've explained why not here.

Just use the existing SRFC Board.

If we can somehow post a link from the expansion board to the SRFC board, then great. Otherwise we should just deal with it.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick note on ticket sales for SRFC: they're selling out faster and faster. Last week's first-round playoff game sold out in 45 minutes after tickets became available. Tonight's game sold out in... TWO minutes.

OWN(yewu)ED, xbhaskarx and Neuwerld repped this.
  13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, that's great to see. On the other hand, that does not bode well for me getting tickets for the USL Pro final.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that right there is why Sacramento is officially on top of the pile. An owner can come in with billions, but an attendance juggernaut that is aesthetically pleasing to MLS is something else entirely. If you potentially have Seattle 2.0 , thats going to speak volumes over competition. Im sure minnesota and san antonio could put up reasonable numbers as far as attendance goes, but i am 100 percent positive they could not replicate Sacramentos numbers. no $$$ in the world will change that. As stands, it looks like Sacramento, Minnesota, San Antonio, that order.

That said, I want all three in the league, and for that to happen would require Chivas USA to move and Miami to fold up. Both entirely realistic scenarios.

Elninho repped this.
  16. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    IMO, there isn't a expansion front runner until cities have an actual stadium agreement in place. Until then everything is just a rumor.

After thinking about the Vikings bid is the only plan in place it just comes down to if MLS wants their MLS ready stadium. Who knows but I would agree it looks like Sacramento is doing a great job. Now we wait.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, I just don't understand. Arthur Blank (Atlanta) & David Beckham (Miami) have been awarded expansion teams. Beckham doesn't have a stadium deal, but his right to an expansion team has not been rescinded. Chivas USA apparently will be going on hiatus, but their team has not been contracted. Apparently 3 to 5 cities are trying to get the 24th team, but no decision has been made yet. Minneapolis/St. Paul seems to be the front runner for the 24th slot because Minnesota has 3 billionaires involed in two separate bids. Sacramento has a shot only if and only if Chivas or Beckham fail.

4four4 repped this.
  18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But anyone who has followed league expansion for a while can see why Sac would be favored at the moment.

19. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Garber say we were going to stop at 24 before 2020?

And even if he said yes, that statement was made when the league was in a much different place. Plus MLS has been known to make up rules and exceptions on the fly.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You're overestimating the strength of the Minneapolis/St. Paul bid. Hell, at this point you're even overestimating the strength of the Miami bid.

Plus, we're not stopping at 24.

21. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scorpions thought they were they favorite until one of the MLS bigwigs came and said they we're going to put a 3rd team in Texas.

Not to burst your bubble but this round of expansion seems to be centered on expanding the league's footprint so don't be surprised if the Twins get the 24th and ya'll have to wait till the next round.

22. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's two groups fighting over one, not even a unified bid. Only way they get stronger is MLS picks the Vikings or the United/Twins/T-Wolves bid at the MLS Cup meeting in December
    Plus, we're not stopping at 24.[/QUOTE]
    Paraphrasing off of what Knave said, the 24 teams thing is just something from MLS to encourage investors to quickly jump on the expansion train. MLS hasn't toured the Twin Cities with an official visit. So I don't know where the Minnesota momentum is suddenly coming from.

23. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The "footprint" argument is bogus. Look at Cascadia (3) and now Florida (2). Those could even be grouped with Atlanta as a solitary Southern front. If California is viewed as weakened (Chivas) or underrepresented (population; players produced), then Sacramento is a very viable #24.

And it's not my bubble. I'm SJE no matter what.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And it's a really problematic split too. On one side you've got Wilf and the Vikings, who are building a new stadium that could fit an MLS field, but really isn't designed for soccer (ala Atlanta). On the other side you've got MUFC and the Twins, who have an existing fanbase (who don't like Wilf), and who are looking to build an MLS ready SSS down the road. The MUFC bid seems to be the choice of the local soccer community. The Wilf bid is portrayed by them as a money grab for another Bob Kraft. Honestly, the Wilf bid has failure written all over it, but he's the guy with the money and the stadium right now.

4four4 repped this.
  25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also Miami hasn't been awarded a team yet.