Sacramento MLS Expansion (non-local)

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by antnee7898, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No way.

If Chivas rebrand waits till they have a new stadium built (what I think will happen), its 2018 at the very earliest. The prospective new owner hasn't even bought the team yet. Assuming a new owner takes the keys in January 2015
    (maybe??), they still have to find property and buy property. Assuming the land purchase is quick (maybe?!), there is still permitting, zoning, EIR, design, etc. Likely demolition of existing structures. Even if they go with USC, most of that still applies. With nothing in place right now, I say minimum one year before they break ground; in LA probably longer. (It took the Sac Kings almost a year to start demo at the new location- and they had a head start)

If Sac is awarded a franchise this December that begins play at completion of their stadium, 2017 will be tough. And they have the advantage of already owning the property, it being vacant land, no zoning issues, and a head start since they'll probably working on it before Decmeber rolls around.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Just an aside, if SRFC were brought to MLS this December (for the sake of argument) I really doubt that it'd be contingent on the completion of the new stadium. If SRFC had to play another season in an expanded Bonney while the rail yards stadium is built, I think MLS would be fine with that.

Cirris, Elninho and QuietType repped this.
  3. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Absolutely an option (for Sac, not LA2). Didn't want to stray from my point about how long it would take to build a permanent place in either LA or Sac

4. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    How does that not apply to LA2 as well? They've been playing in SHC since the club was founded, to suddenly say that isn't an acceptable option is odd (I mean, Yankee Stadium is acceptable but SHC isn't :ROFLMAO:)

I would bet quite a bit that the rumored hiatus is for reasons other than the venue.

5. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LA2 is taking a hiatus to step away from a poisoned, tainted brand- a clean break in order to do a fresh launch Sacramento is riding huge momentum right now. Two prospective franchises going opposite directions.

I suppose LA2 could re-emerge at Stubhub in a year or two (all freshly re-branded) to play a season or two, waiting for their own place to be built, but honestly, why would they?? Especially if the new location is on the other side of town. Like going back to the scene of a crime.

Also, Cal Expo is a mile from the Railyards location.

6. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    To make money. Why else own a team in the first place. I mean, sure they could theoretically not play a game for 5 years and then relaunch to much fanfare, all the while ceding LA to the Galaxy. It is much easier to build a fan base, build towards the opening of a new stadium, when you're actually playing games.

7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if LA2 disappears until a stadium deal is done and shovels are in the ground. I don't doubt that MLS would very much like to put a second team sometime over the next ten years.

8. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If they don't do the re-brand correctly, they'll definitely lose money. IMO, waiting an extra year and debuting a new team in a brand new stadium will make a much bigger splash in the "fickle" LA market than renting from the Galaxy again. I equate that to tripping at the starting gate.

Oh yeah, they've had like a 1000 people show up to the last bunch of games. There's nothing left to "cede" to the Galaxy.

9. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    and I say if they wait till a stadium is done they could be waiting a very long time, and no one will care when they finally get one

if they want to win over the "fickle" LA market all they have to do is start winning

10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Then you haven't been paying attention. The expectation from MLS is that a prospective owner has to build a new stadium

11. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've been paying attention enough to know that before the hiatus rumors started Garber (or was it Abbott) said Chivas could play next season at Stubhub.

They don't need a stadium now, this instant. They just need to be committed to building one eventually. Just like NYCFC :rolleyes:

12. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cause that is working out splendidly for them :p:D

13. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So, like, Sacremento... next franchise? or nextest franchise?

Orlando was announced less than a year ago, so theoretically Sacramento could enter as early as 2016.

14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    does Sacramento get in before Miami now??

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rally tonight

[​IMG]

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The really big problem for LA2, if MLS can't find a new owner ready to rebrand for 2015, is the fact that it would be playing under interim branding. That's much more of a problem than playing at SHC.

As for Sacramento, it's becoming apparent that Republic FC has what may be the first lower-league ownership group in the MLS era to be capable of jumping to MLS in a single offseason. The money's there, the facilities are more than adequate, the front office has been staffed at or near MLS level all season. I've said for a long time that one of the main reasons promotion/relegation isn't viable in the US is the huge gap in facilities and organizational capacity between MLS and lower league clubs. If anything, Sacramento is the exception that shows how far the rest of the lower leagues have to go.

Neuwerld and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Triple expansion in 2015? That would be awesome :)

18. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree that Sacramento's entry won't have conditions or contingencies other than a SSS plan. MLS could award entry and allow them to play next year if they wanted. But they won't. MLS seems to recognize its best to have an even number of teams. 2016 is possible but only if someone else is coming in with them. Do you really think LA2 will be ready by 2016? Doubtful. That's why I'm not the person that looks at 2017 as the likely year of entry .....with Atlanta. Bonney for two more years . Supporters groups get massive . USL pro situation gets settled. And Republic enters in 2017 with a shiny new building at the Railyard. This is all very doable under existing conditions on the ground.
    Can't wait....

19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016 will see Sacramento and LA2 join, calling it now ;)

mangerson repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento just jumped to the front of the expansion pack.

21. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2018 or 2019- LA2 and Minny (if Miami falls through) or Miami if they wait on a stadium

23. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Now, not a year from now, is the time for the supporters groups to secure a meeting with Republic for input on the SSS because it's happening

24. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is there a source for this? According to a couple of articles lately the LA2 hiatus is being pushed by the potential buyer and is opposed by many inside MLS. I'm sure an even number is preferred but MLS doesn't seem to care overtly much if they don't have it.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so awesome, the Railyards was always the perfect spot for the stadium. Now im glad the Kings didnt build there! everything happens for a reason i suppose