Sacramento is in USL Pro

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by CShine, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No to Elk Grove! Please, we must oppose that city's plans! It would be a HORRIBLE location to put a team and doom the team. Their efforts are ridiculously counterproductive and small-town-minded. If we want a por soccer team to succeed in Sacramento we should oppose an Elk Grove location at all costs

krudmonk repped this.
  2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, I support Sac over Elk Grove, too. Just pointing out the golden opportunity to be capitalized upon. I wish I had the coin to pursue such an opportunity.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I don't really mind the idea of a stadium in Elk Grove, I just don't like that the Elk Grove team group is looking to work exclusively with the city and exclude the existing (non-vaporware) Sacramento team. The end goal should be a stadium to allow an MLS team.

5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it absolutely is not.

krudmonk repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems Sac is a smaller metro, SLC-ish, around the same size as Orlando (another potential MLS expansion area). MLS is putting out the vibe that they prefer downtown stadiums. So why would it be favorable for Sacramento to build a soccer stadium 20 miles from its smallish downtown? Places like Dallas or Philly, much larger cities, it sorta makes sense that they are in the burbs (from a $ POV; its mostly been bad for Dallas). I would imagine that in order to be competitive with bids like downtown Orlando or Queens, Sac needs to be closer to downtown too. Plus, they are still relatively close to San Jose as it is (well 100+ miles IS close in MLS) and that will probably either help or hurt their cause.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Good luck with the bid.

7. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I for one disagree w/ this statement. I know I don't like making that 2 hour drive to see the Quakes, especially if I can make a 20 minute drive to Elk Grove. Then you have to factor in the traffic. I don't know how the traffic is for you, but here in Cali it's no joke. I am all forward bringing a MLS Side to our fair city. We are a Big League Town!!!

Getting back to the USL Pro issue, has the Sacramento Group come out w/ a name yet? I would love to see a name drive on TV or something. That would get people excited for a new side here.

8. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I would expect to see a naming contest announced this month.

Robdog repped this.
  9. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alley Cats? For some reason I thought that place was a salon.. Haha!

A free beer on the house? Special announcement from the owner at halftime? I might just have to show up for that!

Robdog repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And THAT is why people think you're a dope.

And the same infrastructure. And lots of history. And passionate, proven support. Also, the difference between the fourth division in England and the third, from an organizational standpoint, is smaller than between our fourth and our third divisions. Ditto for our third to our second and our second to our first.

[​IMG]

Did you really just write that?

You've never done this. You've never worked at this level, in this country. You have no idea what it takes. Soccer is not the most popular sport here, like it is in other countries. Every small town in Europe that has a team is passionate about it. Doesn't happen here. You have to start from scratch and, yes, it takes time and effort. "I don't see why you have to do all this preparation work and building on." Good Lord.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. If they'd have decided in about February to go out to the barn and put on a show, they'd have been out of ********ing business by August, because it takes time to build an infrastructure and generate revenue. It doesn't just happen.

This isn't the NPSL, where any jagov can own a team and have them drive their own cars to games and nobody notices.

No, it isn't, really. Because you haven't made a valid argument, ever.

So what should those players do this summer, then? Sit around? Not play anywhere? You going to pay them to not play? With no revenue coming in? Just get them to sign for you NOW, with the promise that they'll play here in 2014? Can you name a player who would be currently out of contract who would do that?

The Cosmos can sign guys and loan them out for the first half of the NASL season because they're going to be playing in 120 days anyway. But nobody's going to sign with a club that's not playing just because you think they have to be under contract a year before the first game for some reason.

Well if they start this time next year, yes, they'll be screwed, because "this time next year" will be the week of the first game. Then it will be too late. But they'll need to start in October or so, and, no, it won't radically alter their ability to be competitive in 2014. Because that's how it works.

Bosnian Diamond and QuietType repped this.
  12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing about the viewing party on the website or on the Facebook page.

How did you know about the event, and more importantly, why the hell isn't the club promoting the event at al??

13. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had signed up for their email list on their website. Its perhaps the only email I've received from them.

14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've signed up as well but haven't seen anything. I've made sure to check the junk folders but nothing. Email is one thing but they're not even talking about it on their main site or in social media. I just don't get it. The PR company they've hired to advertise and reach out to the public has thus far done a really poor job.

15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm growing a little impatient, too, but it has only been four months since the franchise was awarded, and I'm sure they are working on a small budget. I do wonder if their marketing strategy hinges on the fate of the Kings but I'm probably over thinking it.

Maybe this "special" announcement tomorrow will be the start. I'm in Wisconsin on business so I'll have to wait to find out what it is.

Here's a url link to the email contents: View this email in your browser

QuietType repped this.
  16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that link, I'll be able to share with friends now.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if it weren't for the fact that they do update their social media frequently, it's just never anything regarding the team. I'm following them on Twitter and on Facebook, and they do post/tweet every so often, but it's about international leagues, MLS, other USL teams, etc.

It's not a matter of time/budget, because someone is posting stuff regularly. It's just that when we have the first actual club event and a special announcement by the owner, we hear nothing about it on any social media or their actual website? Seriously dropping the ball.

17. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I signed up for their email list and didn't receive the viewing party message. I found out about it on their Facebook page, they posted about it on Friday.

18. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent points.

19. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, techguy, spill the beans. What is the announcement tonight? Is it the naming contest? If anyone knows its you.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't my preference, just restating what I thought would happen. And if you read MLS's "reply" you'll see I was spot on. Including MLS telling Sac soccer fans to support the Quakes.

21. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    whatever - I rather have my own team than to drive 2 hours to support another City's team. Just me I guess :rolleyes:

22. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robdog repped this.
  24. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this is so cool, the team doesn't even has a name yet but it has a SG, well done Sac...well done indeed ! :thumbsup:

25. Tower Bridge Battalion

Mar 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    QuietType ... Name is not going to change. What do you want to know?

Mikey mouse repped this.