Sack Butcher

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by aussie_ascoli, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    This was seen on his interview, that can be seen on FOX SPORTS NEWS.

TERRY BUTCHER
    "I think the preasure on the players in the A-league is immense, as well, to go put on a show.
    Version two! harrah harrah blah this something (Sarcasic tone, with him rolling his eyes). "WE MUST CARRY A LEGACY according to Mr Foster, today in the papers" (in a very sarcastic tone) (laughs heard from the audience, obviously the c0ck suckers from FOX). And we have a responsibility to do that, but at the end of the day players are there to win games."

If he can't cope with Fozzie's comments he should go home, sh1t i'll even buy him the one way ticket.

It is Version 2, and standards need to improve, otherwise it will become the NSL version 2.

F*ckin oath "we must carry a legacy" otherwise what a waste of a World Cup, I think he's worried that we might equal Englands WC total.

Yes you do have a responsibility to do that, but at the end of the day we need to imrove our standards and produce for future World Cups. After watching the championship our stardards are well below this league, so we do need to play attractive football, otherwise we'll lose spectators and we won't produce for the future.

Sydney FC, buying this manager has put the league behind, i don't mind british managers for the A-league, however this bloke is a tosser. We have an obligation to improve the standards of the game and to follow the "LEGACY" of the world cup, and if he's there just to win it, he can go get f*cked.

2. Sydney General

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Goose.. You want to sack a manager 1 game in and just because he has a go at Foster?? Geez if everyone got the sack for bagging him out the unemployed list would be the size of the country

3. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    No its his comments that winning is more important than the standard of the league. Ok thats well and good if this was a major league, however this league is about the future, not winning. To you Sydney fans winning might be everything, but in Australia we should care more about AUS NT rather than Sydney FC winning.

There is a legacy now, and its far more important to continue the legacy rather than winning the championship. Butcher needs to know this.

4. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    i agree with ascoli, normally id be laughing my head off at teams like nz nights struggling to get 3,000 to games.. but it makes me hurt, for the league and for football in this country

5. Rubbernose

Rubbernose New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Craig Foster has turned into a grandstanding imbecile, IMHO.

And Sydney FC have every right to want to win games. FFS.

6. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    I agree "the Foz" has no credibility left whatsoever, he is incredibly biased and hates anything and everything British (Even I will admit I don't care much for the EPL but fair dinkum!) and he expects us to play like Brazil overnight!

He is the main reason I have turned off The World Game his rants are gibberish.

7. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    IMHO Fozzie is one of the best footballing minds in AUS, however thats not the point.

Yes they have every right to win, but they also have an obligation to the A-league, Aus NT, Football Aus, and the spectators, to continue the legacy and make Aus football better.

However comments made by Butcher, leads me to believe that he is not in it for Aus but for Sydney only, which is fair enough. At the end of the day thats who pays him. However coming to AUS he should of expected different, and for Sydney to hire this man is almost criminal. He obviously doesn't want for football in Aus to progress.

The legacy of Aus has to be continued by everyone involved in Football Aus. If its not continued, here in Aus football will forever be at the bottom in Aus sports. This really is Aus last chance to get it right.

8. Rubbernose

Rubbernose New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Why, because he keeps telling everyone Brazil are really good and that we should try and get heaps betterer?

Gimme a break. The guy's never coached a day in his life and he's suddently Australia's self appointed expert on youth development. Take the words "tactical and technical" out of his vocab and he's still like a wind up doll running on Eveready's.

Fozzie's "open letter" to Butcher was ridiculous and insulting, no wonder he laughed it off.

And I'm sure they're trying. I assume every club has the same obligaion?

Comments I've heard lead me to belive the opposite. He was on 2ue's sports program last week, they started off by asking him what he thought of McLaren, and he said, "what are you asking me for, I couldn't give a toss, I'm on this show to talk about the A-League, and I'm here to do my best to help take Sydney FC and Australian Australian Football to the next level." That's pretty much a direct quote.

I see. And why's that?

Lemme guess, you've never seen either Sydney FC or any team he's coached play under him, but as Fozzie reckons, he's too British. I suppose you wouldn't give your stamp of approval on the hiring of Lawrie McKinna either, even though the Mariners clearly play the most fluent, attractive and intelligent passing game in the country.

And how did you come to that conclusion?

That's beautiful, but I still don't know why people want to attack Terry Butcher. Give him a fair go, he may just be a very good coach.

9. woodzie12345

woodzie12345 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Australia
    Terry Butcher is a good coach, one need only to look at the seasons he spent with Motherwell to see it. Sure, he's not proven himself at Sydney FC yet but- oh, that's right: THEY'VE ONLY PLAYED ONE GAME.

Fozzie's letter was a joke. He's an absolute wanker, give Butcher a break.

10. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    AA - not quite sure what you're getting so upset about. He didn't say that he wasn't there to help build a legacy - in fact he admitted that they have a responsibility to do that. He just said the first priority for him as the coach of the club has to be to win games. I think that's fair enough - that's the first priority of any coach, because that's what coaches are hired to do.

Personally I think one of the best ways for Butcher to help build a legacy is by making Sydney FC the best team he can, which will help grow the quality of the league. Now if he chooses to do that by creating a team that plays ugly, unattractive football that turns the fans off and damages the the league, then I'll have an issue with it. But as has been said, we've only had one round - I'm not going to throw him to the dogs so quickly.

11. Forza Juve

Forza Juve New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Sydney

Great post ascoil

12. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm not talking on how Sydney played on the weekend or his tactical approach to games, or him being english. I was more concern with that interview. Really i was shocked with his comments, it just seems that he doesn't give a stuff about the direction of Football in this country. After hearing some comments here its probably cleared up the interview a bit, but i'm still very concerned with this mentality of winning, put ahead of producing quality.

And on the Fozzie thing, i think he's one of the best tactical analysis of games. He's probably the best analysis of games in this country, he has a great ability to pick out the slighest changes in team stratergy, formation, and tactical approach. + he has a great understanding of tactics used in various countries, and different roles used for different positions in different countries/teams. Its not fozzie who wants us to be brazilian thats more lez.
    i don't think he wants us to play like brazilians overnight as he has stated on numerous occasions that he wants Aus to have our own style and approach. However maybe we should start thinking like brazilians overnight :D .

13. Ragnarok14

Ragnarok14 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Queensland
    I can see where Butcher is coming from with his remarks aimed at Fozzie. Your right Fozzie knows a heck of a lot about football but don't you find it funny that with his huge amount of knowledge that he doesn't have a managing or advisory role in football? Remember his failed attempt at become the PFA main man? The Fozz has problems with getting to focused on one issue and can't see the big picture.

Would the a-league be going as well if sydney hadn't of made the GF last year? You can bet your a**e it wouldn't. Soccer like basketball and a number of other smaller sports needs the sydney based team to be a winner not beautiful, thats what we have the other teams for.

14. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    fozzie's still in his 30's no-one gives an important role to someone at that age, he's still got a lot to learn.

If Melbourne would of made it to the GF instead of Sydney , it would of been bigger

15. Rubbernose

Rubbernose New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Here's a response from a bloke I know who runs a blog;

16. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    It proved in Season 1 of the league that there is no room for English managers...

17. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Oh jumping the gun a bit here. i must say that winning is the success. Success breeds success. Beauty is also the eye of the beholder. I suppose that as long as there is plenty of success by using a winning formula then most fans would related to that. What determines if the tactics and strategy is not always beautiful. But there is beauty in success. To get success, quality of the players skill in tactics and the coaches training and strategy are lifted up. You will find what works.

Even in Brazil and Argentina, there is constant debates on how to play their game. Some like it more structure and formation and training as such, others with skill and creativity. It depends on what coaches and clubs. Brazil of 1994 was more structured and they won the WC under much media pressure. It was successful, there is always at least two side to arguement whether they won or not. In Argentina, the rivially between flo and fla is typical of the clubs because they represent two contrasting styles mand strategies.

You need different winning strategies by different clubs to see the different strategies and learn to create counterstrategies and countertactics that you will see elements of it in the international game. To grow your knowledge base is always important. To understand the foreign apporach adds understanding about the other countries apporach and learn something that you may intergrate into the team. A good club base helps to get a quality NT.

I think it is easy to misunderstand Terry as there are still plenty of cultural difference and mentality difference as well. It is one round afterall.

Oh well,

:cool:

Hang loose guys.

18. woodzie12345

woodzie12345 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Australia
    Witty, prolix and 100% correct.

Love it.

19. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    lol

The overwhelming opinion of the world's football media, i've always tried to ignore these guys, as they still believe Italy plays catenaccio.
    I think our tactical/technical game got us through to the second round, our physicalness probably worked as a negative, as we were punished by the refs constantly. So i do believe that there was a total paradigm (new word learnt for me :D ) shift, and for future socceroo campaigns we'll see similar.

I disagree, however butcher can be a technician as well, but fozzie's comments are not pretentious, unrealistic and disgracefully patronizing.

This does mean carrying the legacy.

:D

I'm glad this bloke has come out and said what he believes. We all can't agree on everything. Really there is no right or wrong but agreement or disagreement.

20. Sydney General

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Havent stopped laughing since reading this.. :rolleyes:

21. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    laugh all you want, but i'm basing this on the two AUS games i went to, in Syd and Melb. Although the greater night and atmosphere was in Sydney, the people in the city seemed like they knew nothing was happening. We had people asking us, why are people wearing the scarfs. On the other hand people in Melbourne the people let you know whats going on. Everywhere we went in Melb, they were talking about it.

22. Rubbernose

Rubbernose New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    I don't think the word "physical" is in any way solely a reference to hard hitting tackles et al. Australia were visibly very strong in mobility, speed, fitness, strength and stamina, all of which are physical attributes. Guus firmly believed we perhaps the fittest team at the WC, and it helped enormously.

I do agree though that Guus introduced a very high level of organisation and tactical adaptability though, and I hope it leaves a lasting legacy.

Look, I don't mean to be argumentative, I just really get tired of this stereotyping and berating of British coaches that keeps seeping out of the likes of Fozzie (and SBS) and which is also evident in this thread. Lets not forget that many of the stereotypical playing styles which have been associated with English footbal over recent years have been permeated by coaches from the continent. The dour play of the English NT (which most English people detest) has been overseen by a Swede, and the modern day 'direct' style of play adopted by Liverpool - who have traditionally been associated with the exact opposite - was overseen by a Frenchman who has been integral to France's youth development system.

IMHO opinion the team who play the most attractive style of football in the A-League are led by a Scot. Lawrie McKinna is the best manager in the country atm, of that I have little doubt. He fosters a tactically astute style of play based on mobility, versatility, adaptability, organisation, possession and intelligent passing. He plays the closest thing to Hiddink styled football in this country, and ironically he too hales from Motherwell.