Sack Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #1 Placid Casual, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    1 win in 15 games.

Scored more than 1 goal in 6 games.

Time to end this stupid experiment.

I am sure the usual front office schills will be out in force defending him.

Time to go Gregg

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  2. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I knew what was going on RE: trying to get a second DP, more help then I'd agree.

At this point about as far as I'm willing to give him slack is the end of the transfer window. We don't get someone, he has to go.

3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I don't have Time Warner

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idiots.

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You think this season is going well?

6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if we're going to sack Berhalter, who are we going to get to fill the spot?

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    First you want a team that scores. Then you want a team that can win. Then you want to actually be able to watch this team on TV. Then you want things like edible food at the stadium and paper towels in the bathrooms. Have you ever thought you are way too demanding?

west ham sandwich and Lucky Day repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think someone's going to get fired 18 games into a total rebuild project?

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not the question I asked is it?

JackCaz repped this.
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a total rebuild project? Brian Bliss damn near got us into the playoffs last year with a WORSE team.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season sucks.

But did you really expect differently? New coach, new owner, new system, not great talent, missing some players for World Cup duty -- were you really expecting us to light MLS on fire?

You can't change coaches every half season and expect to get anywhere. Waste all the breath and keystrokes you want; he's not going anywhere. If you're just venting, I get that. If you seriously think it's time to fire him already, you're straight up delusional.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    We agree.

I object to an unproven coach being given complete and utter control over the playing side.

Who is responsible for the not great talent? The current Sporting Director.

Venting? Maybe.

Want him fired? Probably.

Is it a conversation worth having? Yes

Just because he has only been here half a season doesn't mean that he has to stay for the rest of the season.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we fought for a playoff berth until the end of the season last year. I guess you could say we are doing the same this year, but 1 win in 15 is ridiculous. All of last year, under Warzycha and Bliss, the team's longest winless streak was 3 games. I repeat, 3 games. We have had an 8 game winless streak, a win, and are now on a 5 game winless streak. For a team that is better than last year, this is shit.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an argument for why he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place. But we are beyond that now. The fact is, he's got the job. He's not going to get fired this quickly.

To a point. Most of the players he's brought in have been decent or downright pretty good. He didn't sign Anor, Tchani, Wahl and others. You can't turn over 20 players in eight months.

Swellster and Grouchy repped this.
  15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #15 Placid Casual, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Therein lies the issue - Sigi was allowed time as he had proven that he could win in this league. What has Berhalter shown apart from being fired from a second division Swedish club?

Also - One win in 15 games..... one in 15!!!!!! But hey, lets give him time.

He still plays Anor and Tchani - Obviously rates them.

Managed to bring in no forwards. Bedell, Shoenfeld, Arrietta is hardly striking fear into MLS defences.

One could also point out that a good coach would be able to improve the players already there.

16. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sack him already? This isn't Timo Liekoski season yet...

If GB inherited a team that was making the playoff/finals/winning titles for the last couple of season before torching things then yeah maybe. But the Crew was a middle team on the decline from the Sigi MLS Cup season and two (???) great (shield ???) seasons with Robert before things went downhill.

I'm willing to give him a pass for a season or two.

17. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dominic Oduro scored today.

18. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMFAO Oh you guys are going to love this.

More Midseason Thoughts From Crew Leaders

What do you feel this team does best?
    Parkhurst – “I think possession right now, but I think that we need to start doing a better job of having possession and being more dangerous with it.

Trapp – “Our passing, our possession, our forward passes, our lack of backwards passes.

Berhalter – “I don’t know.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2014/07/more-midseason-blog.html

Un-********ing-believable.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy true schadenfreude when certain teams struggle. But definitely not you guys. I have always liked the Crew. One of my favorite all-time soccer memories is watching Frankie score the final goal when you won the Cup.

So my heart goes out to you, it's definitely tough to suffer through a losing season and rebuilding years. I went through similar pain for a long time while KC was still the Wizards.

I have no opinion on Berhalter himself except to say that there is definitely something to be said for patience and continuity. The best teams in the league have stuck with their coaches and given them time to build a system and a culture. We called for Vermes' head numerous times in his earlier seasons when it didn't look like things were progressing as quickly as we wanted. But constant and impatient turnover is nearly always a recipe for long-term failure.

My only encouragement for you is to just look at DCU. Historic, record-breaking, horrificly bad season last year, and now they're first in the conference. Hang in there.

Jaybir, MeiJunXin and Minnman repped this.
  20. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Attached Files:

Placid Casual repped this.
  21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Well, that's kind of the problem. We've been through a couple of crappy seasons in 2012 and 2013. Precourt came in at the end of 2013 so he probably thinks he's new and will get the benefit of the doubt. I think AP thinks he has plenty of time. I expect AP will be disappointed if season ticket sales decline rather than increase after this season. GB hasn't proven he can be a good coach, either in Sweden or MLS. Our offense is rarely good for more than 1 goal per game. So far we've considerably underperformed my expectations, at least since the Seattle game in March.

Robbo Crewfan and CybrSlydr repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Kryptonite, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

If we had fired coaches willy-nilly, would Sigi have gotten the axe in 2007?

Let's say this scenario plays out: If we bring in Guillermo, who then buys the players? What about players who won't come to Columbus because it isn't NY or LA.

I know the excuse is played out...but it's true. We're eternally competing with other cities in more ways than one. Remember, we got Guillermo, partially because we WEREN'T NY or LA and he *could* enjoy a night out without being hounded by fans or paparazzi...but every star player won't think like that.

We could bring in Sir Alex or Jose Mourinho (aka, a big name who has had success at big clubs), but it's still up to Precourt which players to pay...

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    There are a lot of good soccer players in Argentina who would like to get out. They're not that picky about Columbus vs NYC. If we had GBS we could probably have our pick of the would-be expats.

24. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I somehow sort of agree with all of the posts in here so far.

I guess that means I'm not quite ready to call for GB's head but I'm not very happy with the outlook right now.

25. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who is happy about how the team is playing this year? Yes the final result is poor but they are playing better than last year. It is not 60 minutes of bunker ball. And even when they are behind or down a man they dictate tempo. Last night sucked and was the worse of they year but this team needs a striker and some depth at a few positions. Arrieta is bench player at best right now and surprise he is paid like one. Maybe they will get the striker this year maybe not but, this team is still more fun to watch than last year. All the players that we had last year are playing better (Tchani, Trapp, Finlay, Gehrig). And the new players are solid. Give it a chance to work.

I would rather lose with an improving team than win on bunker and counter.