Sacha Kljestan at Anderlecht [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Jun 3, 2010.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Re: Sacha Kljestan to Anderlecht?

It would be interesting to know how many of the 32 teams have Brazilian players at WC.

2. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's see... Japan (Tanaka), Portugal (Deco, Liedson, Pepe), Mexico (Dos Santos... it's Mexico, so yeah he's Brazilian), US (Feilhaber), and of course Brazil. I'm sure I missed a few, but not Spain this time (no Senna), and no Croatia of course (Eduardo).

3. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Germany (Cacau)

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I always thought Paulo da Silva (Paraguay's captain, ex-Toluca, currently Sunderland) was a Brazilian/Portuguese name but I can't find any info on it.

5. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

I don't think the list is missing anyone that I can think of.

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

Counting Feilhaber in this is a bit misleading. He came to the U.S. at a young age.

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suppose, but if I'm going to count Dos Santos, it's only fair I count Feilhaber.

8. HellIsForHeroes

HellIsForHeroes New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Hey everyone, another Belgian Anderlecht fan, who discovered this forum and thread while looking for information on Sacha Kljestan :) Hope you're not fed up with us yet :p

As everyone one else in Belgium I was surprised when I first heared about Kljestan's possible move to Anderlecht. But, the more I've looked into it, the more I'm looking forward to seeing him in an Anderlecht jersey! From what I've read here he's mainly been playing on the left/central midfield the past season(s). In that case I'm pretty sure Anderlecht is getting him as Jelle Van Damme's (who's moving to Wolverhampten) replacement, who played that exact position last season.

I hope the deal goes through. His wage demands will probably be no problem. I read in a Belgian newspaper that he makes about 200.000 dollars a year at Chivas USA. Since Anderlecht's top players make about 1 million or more a year, don't think it will be an issue.

The only problem I see is that his contract apparently only ends in October. So this means he'll either join Anderlecht on a free transfer in October, or Anderlecht will pay a fee to get him in July. The first option would be great for Anderlecht, BUT iit would mean he'd arrive at a club in a team which has already been playing together for 2 months and where the coach might already have his team for that season in mind. It would be better for him to make the move in July so he can prepare for the new season with his new teammates. But.... how much money will Chivas USA demand to make that possible?

About the amounts that have been mentioned here. Today a couple of Belgian newspapers/sites wrote that Anderlecht offered 2.5 million euro two years ago and Celtic offered 3.5 million the a couple of months later. Apparently Chivas USA only wanted to let him go for 8 million dollars (about 6.7 million euro).

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

The old sources placed the MLS asking price at around $3.5M, with Celtic not biting.

But that was pre-bubble burst.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, I thought MLS contracts ran until the end of the calendar year. Hence the many free transfers out of MLS in January (Yura, Hunter, Rolfe, etc).

11. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Welcome! We love having posters from teams where our Yanks Abroad are playing. I hope that you will stay with us if this deal goes through.

One of the strange features of MLS is that all contracts are held by the league rather than the individual teams, so Chivas USA doesn't really get a say in how much he goes for.

I would imagine that the league would rather get something for him this summer than let him go on a free in the winter transfer window. His team is one of the teams at the bottom of the table and they don't draw a lot of fans for home or away games. I don't think keeping him would change that. When MLS was asking for such a high transfer fee he was a rising star with the National Team and they probably expected him to sell tickets and shirts. Now he isn't the star he was expected to be and there is no reason not to let him go for a reasonable fee.

12. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis

We are always happy to have local fans who can report on the player, translate Belgian news stories, and have a different perspective (many US fans will follow Kljestan as an American player first, i.e., the US National team, and Anderlecht second).

Most likely you'll get fed up with us first.

Kljestan did not play this past Saturday against New York, supposedly because of the possible move to Anderlecht, which suggests that the move would occur this summer, not at the end of the year.

For half a year, MLS probably wants $1 -2 million, but that is a guess. It might depend on how interested Anderlecht is, how stubborn Kljestan is being, whether they have other teams interested, etc. MLS seems to not sell cheaply because (a) the players are sometimes worth more to MLS than on the open market (Landon Donovan), and (b) they do not want the reputation of selling their best assets for too little (Eddie Johnson). The bigger the club, the more willing they are to sell because it makes the league look good to have players go to big clubs (Tim Howard).

Just so you know, MLS runs differently from other leagues. Kljestan has a contract with the League itself, and Anderlecht must negotiate with it. Chivas has some say in the move -- price and whether it would occur -- but it is a bit different than elsewhere. It's usually less about a club's need to pay off debt and more about generating income or appearances. In other words, fewer desperate sales.

13. HellIsForHeroes

Jun 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

I've heared about the way things work in the MLS. I also read Anderlecht reached an agreement with the MLS, but it could just be rumours. Hope they don't ask too much... would hate to see the deal blow up because of that. 1 - 2 million seems a bit high for someone who has only 6 months left on his contract.

14. HellIsForHeroes

Jun 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Source: http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=6386

So they're probably only waiting for manager Van Holsbeeck to return from Spain :)

15. Tim1977

Tim1977 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

On the website of the Jupiler League:

"Kljestan goes this week to Anderlecht (with his father) to sign his contract."

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the updates and info, Belgians!

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, Sacha's contract ends December 31.

That's not really true. That would have been true, say, 5 years ago, but MLS has given the clubs alot more autonomy.

18. Tim1977

Tim1977 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

One thing that is already sure:

most of the supporters are waiting for...his girlfriend :D

19. HellIsForHeroes

Jun 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

There's already an article an a Belgian sportnews site titled "Anderlecht's newest WAG?" about her :D

20. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL! Can't wait for Sacha's adventures to commence...:)

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Though, hypohetically, he is on his own after the MLS season is over and could train with A-lecht without featuring with their team.

Does Belgium have a winter break?

I assume the fee is still negotiated from the HQ.

What part does the team have in saying yay or nay?

22. HellIsForHeroes

Jun 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Since the competition was reformed it does, but a real short one. 2 weeks or so...

23. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[troll] I dunno. If he could train with Anderlecht whenever Chivas' season is over, why didn't he move to Belgium in March?[/troll]

24. Lang

Lang New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

But we have another window from 1st to 31st january.

25. Tim1977

Tim1977 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

They'll play from July 24th (Supercup) until May 7th or 14th (end of the championship) with a 2 weeks break from December 30th to January 14th.

2 periods of transfers:
    summer: until August 31th at midnight
    winter: from January 1st to January 31th at midnight